KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » What is the strongest emotion and why?

What is the strongest emotion and why?
Started by: Aster Phoenix

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

quote: (post)
Originally posted by inimalist
im surprised it has not come up yet, but there is fear

By far, IMO.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2008 02:04 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MightyCelestial

IMO,
there are only two emotions:
Love & fear.
All other emotions are just sub-categories of these two.

Love is the most powerful,
but usually requires patience in order to utilize it's strength.
Fear, while not as powerful as love, can seem so because utilized with the opposite of patience, impatience, can manifest itself more explosively & therefore , many times, seems to even surpass Love in it's strength.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2008 09:13 AM
MightyCelestial is currently offline Click here to Send MightyCelestial a Private Message Find more posts by MightyCelestial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Well fear is pretty strong, but you can learn to ignore it. Many fears are not real fears, imo. They are just fear of the unknown. There are fears that we place on ourselves. A real fear, imo is one that is more primitive and we need it to survive.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2008 07:51 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jack Daniels
WOW!

before i can answer is lust an emotion or an instinct?..lol

I can't see straight will someone point me to the milkbar..?

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 07:14 AM
Jack Daniels is currently offline Click here to Send Jack Daniels a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Daniels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
By far, IMO.
What about Fright? Fright can kill you.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 02:58 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

lol, fear vs fright roll eyes (sarcastic)

see, this is why the question is dumb, we need to actually define what an emotion is, and then understand how they are all expressed in the brain.

For instance, disgust has its own system. Fear/anxiety and disgust would be my best bets, but by no means do I think that is an accurate way of answering the question.

like, what features make one emotion stronger than another?

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 05:24 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by inimalist
im surprised it has not come up yet, but there is fear
Certainly this must be the most deeply hard-wired, shared by every living thing (ie, those organisms which didn't know fear likely didn't flee and got et). But would this make it the "strongest" emotion? Hard to say since love can override fear.

Originally posted by MightyCelestial
IMO,
there are only two emotions:
Love & fear.
All other emotions are just sub-categories of these two.
I would go with fear and anger, as these are the two most deeply hard-wired. But again, does that necessarily mean they're the "strongest"?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 05:47 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

I'd definitely say that fear is the strongest emotion and most occurring for the majority of people. It's present from birth in its most primitive form and I think it'd be safe to say that it persists throughout life as a dominant emotion. I can't think of a stronger feeling than say, a fatally wounded soldier fearing certain death. That's just an example, but you guys can probably see what I'm getting at. I also agree with what chill said, it does vary from person to person.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Last edited by SnakeEyes on Sep 7th, 2008 at 06:00 PM

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 05:55 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ladyluck

I would say both hate and love. Hate for the reason, as Shaky said, it cannot be controlled. It can fuel a person to do things they never thought they'd be able or willing to do. Love for the reason that it is unconditional if you truly love a person. When you love someone, nothing in the world could hinder that feeling. Also, quite similarly to hate, it can make a person do things they never imagined themselves doing.

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I'd definitely say that fear is the strongest emotion and most occurring for the majority of people. It's present from birth in its most primitive form and I think it'd be safe to say that it persists throughout life as a dominant emotion. I can't think of a stronger feeling than say, a fatally wounded soldier fearing certain death. That's just an example, but you guys can probably see what I'm getting at. I also agree with what chill said, it does vary from person to person.

I would think a fatally wounded soldier would not fear death but welcome it.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 07:23 PM
Ladyluck is currently offline Click here to Send Ladyluck a Private Message Find more posts by Ladyluck Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by lord xyz
What about Fright? Fright can kill you.

Fright is contained in fear.

But I'm with inimalist, we need to define the boundaries between emotions, what an emotion is and what makes an emotion strong to have a meaningful answer.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 07:33 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Fright is contained in fear.

But I'm with inimalist, we need to define the boundaries between emotions, what an emotion is and what makes an emotion strong to have a meaningful answer.
Fright is a part of fear yes, but the two are different emotions, like love and lust.

I also agree with inimalist.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 08:18 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

...and what makes an emotion strong to have a meaningful answer.

How about : Which emotion has most shaped human civilization?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 09:57 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Mindship
How about : Which emotion has most shaped human civilization?

Goin' with fear.

You explore so you no long fear the unknown.
You form civilization to protect you from the people/things you fear.
You create weapons to fight off the things you fear.
You build governments because you fear chaos.
You work together because you fear being destroyed on your own.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 10:05 PM
Deja~vu
Dreamer

quote:
I would go with fear and anger, as these are the two most deeply hard-wired. But again, does that necessarily mean they're the "strongest"?

How about this:

Love can = fear, anger and hate. But in saying that, I mean displaced love, not real love.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 10:26 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Originally posted by Ladyluck
I would think a fatally wounded soldier would not fear death but welcome it.

Could be; I think it depends on the person. Me, being an atheist, would be scared as hell. Obviously I don't know this for sure, but if I were lying there in my own blood with my guts hanging out, I don't think I'd welcome my life being cut short.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 11:10 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Deja~vu
How about this:

Love can = fear, anger and hate. But in saying that, I mean displaced love, not real love.

Actually it's much easier to argue that most emotions are ways of dealing with fear.

You feel "love" so that you don't have to fear being alone.
You feel "anger" typically because of fear that you have lost control.
You feel "envy" because you fear you've fallen behind.
and so on

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 11:47 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav

You don't love out of fear...

sometimes you just do...

Old Post Sep 7th, 2008 11:57 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Actually it's much easier to argue that most emotions are ways of dealing with fear.

You feel "love" so that you don't have to fear being alone.
You feel "anger" typically because of fear that you have lost control.
You feel "envy" because you fear you've fallen behind.
and so on
How about this?

You fear because you feel rejected by love
You hate because you feel you were rejected by love.
You are angry because you feel rejected.

Hmm, I never said anything about envy, but to me envy is a kind of hate for what you lost or do not have...i.e. a lack of love to your own self or a happiness towards others.

Fear is a worthless view. It is self impossed...at least most times. It is a self worth view..

Old Post Sep 8th, 2008 01:50 AM
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Edit...........golly my golly.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2008 01:50 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

How about this?

You fear because you feel rejected by love
You hate because you feel you were rejected by love.
You are angry because you feel rejected.

Also possible, but considering that love is a fundamentally more complex emotion it seems far less likely. Not to mention people will feel those emotions even when they have not yet been in love, so love cannot be the root cause.

Hmm, I never said anything about envy, but to me envy is a kind of hate for what you lost or do not have...i.e. a lack of love to your own self or a happiness towards others.

Wanted a round three.

Fear is a worthless view. It is self impossed...at least most times. It is a self worth view..

What the f**k?

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2008 02:02 AM