KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Games 'Respect' Forum » Ryu and Ken's master, Gouken

Ryu and Ken's master, Gouken
Started by: Snafu the Great

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Snafu the Great
Jerkass Woobie

Ryu and Ken's master, Gouken

(please log in to view the image)

Holy shit.

Brother to Gouki/Akuma, sensei and mentor to Ryu and Ken Masters, Gouken finally makes his debut in Street Fighter 4.

There's not much on Gouken's background, but I'll give it a shot.

Gouken's Background

Nationality: Japanese
Date of Birth/Age: Unknown/Unknown, probably in his late sixties
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair: White
Eyes: Brown
Blood Type: Unknown
Allies/Friends: Retsu, some also say he's friendly with Gen
Enemies: Gouki
Family: Gouki, younger brother; had a daughter whom Ryu and Ken called 'Little Miss' (whereabouts unknown); Ryu, student/foster son
Fighting Style: Ansatsuken, trained by Goutetsu

While earlier Street Fighter games made references to Ryu and Ken's master, the character made his first illustrated appearance in Masaomi Kanzaki's manga adaptation of Street Fighter II, originally serialized in Family Computer Magazine in 1992. According to the comic, Gouken accepted Ryu and Ken as his pupils and taught them their fighting style in his solitary home located in the Japanese wilderness. However, one day M. Bison and his men stormed the dojo and killed Gouken, leaving Ryu and Ken with the duty to avenge their master's death.

While the comic itself was non-canonical in the video game Street Fighter continuity, Gouken's name and character design was adapted in the Street Fighter video game series with the introduction of Akuma in Super Street Fighter II Turbo.

According to Capcom's official account of Akuma's backstory for Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Akuma and Gouken were practitioner of an unnamed assassination style taught to them by their master Goutetsu. While Akuma embraced the killing aspect of the art to the point of succumbing to the "killing intent" (Satsui no Hadou) and killing Goutetsu, Gouken developed his own style, turning techniques such as the Hadouken and Shoryuken into pure defensive non-killing techniques. Gouken would go on to pass his knowledge to Ryu and Ken before being challenged by Akuma and supposedly killed in combat. Gouken makes his first appearance in the video games in the first Street Fighter Alpha game in Akuma's ending in the game alongside their fallen master.

Gouken appears in Street Fighter IV as a secret computer-controlled challenger. His presence in the game was hinted months before his official appearance in the game, with Street Fighter IV project manager Natsuki Shiozawa showing a silhouetted illustration in his blog, claiming that the character was "Sheng Long" (a hoax character once assumed to be Ryu's and Ken's sensei as a result of a localization error), as well as featuring the character in an animated teaser for the console versions of Street Fighter IV and in Akuma's ending in the game.

Gouken throws the Hadoken with one hand, and if used as an EX move, he throws a second one upward at a 45 degree angle. He possesses Akuma's Hyakki Shu somersault move, as well as a special move version of his Super Art from the Street Fighter III games, the Messatsu Gou-Rasen, apparently called the Gou-Rasen Senpu Kyaku. His Super Combo is the Kinjite Shoryūken or "Forbidden Dragon Punch", while his Ultra Combo is the Shin Shoryuken, one of Ryu's Super Arts from Street Fighter III. Gouken's Focus attack is a high kick similar to Ryu's Joudan Sokutou-Geri from the Street Fighter III games.

Chuck Norris learned his trademark move, along with his sense of duty and justice, from Jesus after watching Him roundhouse kick a money changer out of the temple.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 04:08 AM
Snafu the Great is currently offline Click here to Send Snafu the Great a Private Message Find more posts by Snafu the Great Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

Is Gouken stronger than his younger brother?

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 04:12 AM
Black Yoshi is currently offline Click here to Send Black Yoshi a Private Message Find more posts by Black Yoshi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

* without Dark Hadou, i do believe Gouken is stronger and more skilled than Gouki...

* are the moves given to Gouken in Street Fighter 4, canon? if so, well, Ken really makes his moves original of his own... smile

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 09:50 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Yoshi Paradise
Is Gouken stronger than his younger brother?
He was, he probably is not as strong as current Gouki considering Gouki's feats.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 10:12 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sado22
Restricted

Account Restricted

he did kick the snot out of Gouki when they first fought. at the time Gouken was still young. the second time, Gouki mauled an older gouken.

P.S. being buttugly runs in the family for these two laughing

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 03:48 PM
Sado22 is currently offline Click here to Send Sado22 a Private Message Find more posts by Sado22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
No End N Site
Saikyo Pharaoh Sol Radguy

Gouken's pretty cool. He kicked the crap outta Akuma when they were young and I think Gouken coulda stopped himself from catchin an SGS if he wasn't actin like such a pussy. The mans the master of 2 styles. An Akuma VS Gouken thread would be good when SFIV finally comes to consoles.

For some reason I feel like Gouken's appearance wont be canon tho.

"Step back loser! Make way for the winner!"
-Anakaris-

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 05:25 PM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kirikaze Fuuma
Kaze no Soldier

not canon but in SF4 trailer we can see him punching a rock behind the waterfall. don't tell me capcom retconned SF story again.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 06:00 PM
Kirikaze Fuuma is currently offline Click here to Send Kirikaze Fuuma a Private Message Find more posts by Kirikaze Fuuma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
No End N Site

Or that can just be some non canon bonus to show that Gouken is gonna be in it.

-Anakaris-

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 06:17 PM
No End N Site is currently offline Click here to Send No End N Site a Private Message Find more posts by No End N Site Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I really doubt age is a factor in the SFverse. Age hardly is a factor in video games. Gouki fought Gouken and lost in their first encounter. Then after Gouki mastered the killer intent Gouken fell to Gouki. So in a way Gouken was holding back. Say what you want if you are not fighting to kill and your opponent is; you are indeed holding back and an idiot. >_>

Now the question would be how in the **** did Gouken survive the Shungokusatsu and/or how did he resurrect, if in fact he did. There are 2 possible answers since Gen did resist the Shungokusatsu by clearing his mind and crap, and Gill has resurrected from it in SF3. I think a combination of the 2 previously seen results might be the answer.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 06:27 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Gouken actually defeated Gouki a second time as well, then because Gouken did not finish him, Gouki got back up and performed a Shun Goku no Satsu to kill him.

I have a theory. In the vid which shows him fight, the prescreen thing that shows the fighters actually shows Gouken surrounded by what appears to be the aura of the Satsui no Hadou.

Perhaps that somehow saved his life?

Old Post Sep 29th, 2008 07:37 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

I had that theory as well. That perhaps Gouken fell to the Killing Intent and is now back with a vengence, but then I started to think that would ruin his character. However they pull this off every time so it is quite possible.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Sep 30th, 2008 01:19 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
No End N Site

So why the hell is Gouken NOT in SFIII?

-Anakaris-

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 12:38 AM
NemeBro

Maybe he actually dies in this game? no expression

Or maybe this will be a retcon or will be explained, idk.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 12:43 AM
Davehead
BEWY!

Either way, until Gouken destroys an island, Gouki will always be stronger, although much less pleasant to be with.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 04:17 AM
Davehead is currently offline Click here to Send Davehead a Private Message Find more posts by Davehead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm also gonna note that Gouken in Japanese means iron fist, roughly.

So... there's my input.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2008 05:07 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Davehead
BEWY!

Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
I'm also gonna note that Gouken in Japanese means iron fist, roughly.

So... there's my input.

Nice input.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2008 04:20 AM
Davehead is currently offline Click here to Send Davehead a Private Message Find more posts by Davehead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Originally posted by Man of Violence
Gouken's pretty cool. He kicked the crap outta Akuma when they were young and I think Gouken coulda stopped himself from catchin an SGS if he wasn't actin like such a pussy. The mans the master of 2 styles.
Ansatsuken & what?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 08:26 PM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
No End N Site

Ansatsuken and the half assed Ansatsuken (forgot the name)

-Anakaris-

Old Post Oct 30th, 2008 05:32 PM
I-Drop
Privateer

Kyokugen?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2008 03:15 AM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kirikaze Fuuma
Kaze no Soldier

no way no expression

Old Post Oct 31st, 2008 05:21 AM
Kirikaze Fuuma is currently offline Click here to Send Kirikaze Fuuma a Private Message Find more posts by Kirikaze Fuuma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote