KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Restoring star wars

Restoring star wars
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Jedireaper
Indeed. A worthy HD film, filmed in non HD, Dirty Harry in Blu-ray is amazing and its older than Star Wars... go figure...

Errr...non-HD???? Mind you, the resolution of HD is high, but the resolution of film is infinite... It's the digital scan that makes it HD or not.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2008 11:59 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by queeq
Errr...non-HD???? Mind you, the resolution of HD is high, but the resolution of film is infinite... It's the digital scan that makes it HD or not.

Is it really infinite? Doesn't it get grainy?

Old Post Oct 11th, 2008 03:03 PM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

they try to remove the grain first

Old Post Oct 14th, 2008 05:36 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by coolmovies
they try to remove the grain first

ummmmm

Old Post Oct 14th, 2008 10:57 PM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Thats what they did to the OT before it came out in 04. ANH had more grain then Citizen Kane

Old Post Oct 16th, 2008 12:47 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Thats what they did to the OT before it came out in 04. ANH had more grain then Citizen Kane

Really?

Old Post Oct 16th, 2008 06:59 PM
coolmovies

yes it took a whole month to clean all three. Now they have to make the image six times sharper so people can buy star wars again ! in Blu Ray

Last edited by coolmovies on Oct 16th, 2008 at 08:41 PM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2008 08:38 PM
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by sweersa
Is it really infinite? Doesn't it get grainy?

It is infinite since it's analog. It's the size of the negative and the quality of the scanner that will determine it's crispiest outcome.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2008 09:03 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

It is infinite since it's analog. It's the size of the negative and the quality of the scanner that will determine it's crispiest outcome.

Interesting. If this is true than why are some people quick to get rid of anything analogue?

Seems everything these days are doing from that to digital.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2008 10:54 AM
coolmovies

people want the best picture and sound possable thats why HD is the best you can get

Old Post Oct 17th, 2008 11:18 AM
sweersa

people want the best picture and sound possable thats why HD is the best you can get

The best that I know of currently. But there is always something better that isn't the norm.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2008 07:02 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

A few weeks ago, I watched Warren Beatty's REDS for the first time. Very good film, but what astounded me was the picture quality for a regular DVD. The film came out in 1981 & did win Best Cinematography, but the restoration work was so amazing, the film looked like it had just been released. On my HDTV with an upgrading player, it looked as good as any Blu-ray disc could be. That's just putting the necessary work into restoring something.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 02:15 AM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

In the end projection from a first print off a 35 mm film apparantly beats any HD showing.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 12:29 PM
sweersa

In the end projection from a first print off a 35 mm film apparantly beats any HD showing.

Cool, I would love to see this. Unfortunately it seems some theatres around here have bad film equipment though. Things always looked washed out..blurry, or off center.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 02:01 PM
queeq
Chaos

You always get to see a copy in a theatre. HD allows us to get close to the first print experience.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 05:15 PM
sweersa

You always get to see a copy in a theatre. HD allows us to get close to the first print experience.

Yeah, if you watch it at a good theatre it looks amazing!

Old Post Oct 19th, 2008 01:58 AM
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Eh, not all that impressed. The face-detail of the characters improves, but everything looks really washed out and like roughrider said, less cinematic. I don't want my Star Wars looking like the CNN anchors do on my HDTV.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Oct 19th, 2008 07:36 AM
Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Eh, not all that impressed. The face-detail of the characters improves, but everything looks really washed out and like roughrider said, less cinematic. I don't want my Star Wars looking like the CNN anchors do on my HDTV.

Have any of you actually see Star Wars in HD for yourself?

Make sure it is good media on a good display, you can't possibly be put down by it.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2008 01:25 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by sweersa
Cool, I would love to see this. Unfortunately it seems some theatres around here have bad film equipment though. Things always looked washed out..blurry, or off center.

This is something I've noticed since the new wave of movie theatres got built in the mid 1990's onward. With all the stadium seating & nice leg room, the picture on the bigger screens looks a little grainier; even blurry in the corners sometimes. This is the 35mm film frame being blown up even more. Go to an older, smaller theatre, and the frame on screen looks a bit sharper(if the projector is using enough light.)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 19th, 2008 06:26 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by roughrider
This is something I've noticed since the new wave of movie theatres got built in the mid 1990's onward. With all the stadium seating & nice leg room, the picture on the bigger screens looks a little grainier; even blurry in the corners sometimes. This is the 35mm film frame being blown up even more. Go to an older, smaller theatre, and the frame on screen looks a bit sharper(if the projector is using enough light.)

I see, that is interesting. Yeah, at the theatre I was referring too it is grainy...blurry, washed out and even the edges have the bad blur like you said.

We have another theatre, a bit farther to travel to get to, but it is totally digital, I do not know much about it technically just that they use digital projectors, and everything looks crisp and sharp, I just wish it were closer than the crappy old theatre.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2008 07:33 PM