KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Restoring star wars

Restoring star wars
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
queeq
Chaos

Progressive tends to strobe more than interlaced. Interlaced shows more pictures in a second. It's actually not that much different from a movie projector. The shutter opens and closes twice on the same movie frame. So interlaced kinda replicates that but by showing the half the lines at a time within a frame. Now, one second consists of 25 (Pal) or 30 (NTSC) frames, (24 in cse of US film, 25 in case of European film) so your eye won't detect it so quickly. But progressive is sharper since it shows the whole picture, but unlike film projection or interlaced video you only get to see 25 (Pal) or 30(NTSC) frames. In film you get to see 48 frames (2x24) and in interlaced you get to see 50 (or 60) fields(=half a frame). So it's not that hard to conceive progressive is a bit more strobier than filmprojection or interlaced.

But let's face it, with 1080i you get over 500 lines per shot, already a lot more than DVD. Both'll look nice.

reveals half of the picture and then the other half that shows half a frame

Old Post Oct 26th, 2008 06:11 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

you get 1080 lines not 500

Old Post Oct 26th, 2008 07:16 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coolmovies
you get 1080 lines not 500

With interlaced you technically get 500+ lines at any give time. This saves on CPU usage or whatever TVs use.

Originally posted by queeq
Progressive tends to strobe more than interlaced. Interlaced shows more pictures in a second. It's actually not that much different from a movie projector. The shutter opens and closes twice on the same movie frame. So interlaced kinda replicates that but by showing the half the lines at a time within a frame. Now, one second consists of 25 (Pal) or 30 (NTSC) frames, (24 in cse of US film, 25 in case of European film) so your eye won't detect it so quickly. But progressive is sharper since it shows the whole picture, but unlike film projection or interlaced video you only get to see 25 (Pal) or 30(NTSC) frames. In film you get to see 48 frames (2x24) and in interlaced you get to see 50 (or 60) fields(=half a frame). So it's not that hard to conceive progressive is a bit more strobier than filmprojection or interlaced.

But let's face it, with 1080i you get over 500 lines per shot, already a lot more than DVD. Both'll look nice.

reveals half of the picture and then the other half that shows half a frame

That all makes sense. Thanks for the excelent explanation. Yeah, I would take 1080i over DVD (standard) any day.

But you would take 1080 progressive over interlaced right?

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 02:03 AM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well, with 1080i you do get 1080 lines per frame. But interlaced means the frame is divided in two separate fields of 540 each that follow each other.

And I don't know if there's a choice. about resolutions. In the end you get the set with the best picture. Resolution alone is not the only criterium.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 07:54 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Well, with 1080i you do get 1080 lines per frame. But interlaced means the frame is divided in two separate fields of 540 each that follow each other.

And I don't know if there's a choice. about resolutions. In the end you get the set with the best picture. Resolution alone is not the only criterium.

I understand the frames, but it seems atleast around here people look at 1080p as being superior. I see fewer newer 1080i sets and more 1080p.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 10:57 AM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

so how many lines do i get from 720p tv?

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 10:58 AM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by coolmovies
so how many lines do i get from 720p tv?

720. Because the P means Progressive. So with 1080i (interlaced) you get 540 lines at any given time. For 1080p you get 1080 lines becuase it is progressive.

There is no such thing as 720i. I would always go with Progressive if possible.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 11:03 AM
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by sweersa
I understand the frames, but it seems atleast around here people look at 1080p as being superior. I see fewer newer 1080i sets and more 1080p.

1080p is the best then.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 11:47 AM
sweersa

1080p is the best then.

Yeah, 1080p is theoretically better than 1080i becuase Progressive formats like 720p, and 1080p make the lines of resolution sequentially single pass or frame, which creates a smoother, "cleaner" image, especially with sports and other motion-intensive content.

As opposed to tubes, microdisplays (DLP, LCoS, and LCD rear-projection) and other fixed-pixel TVs, including plasma and LCD flat-panel, are progressive in nature, so when the incoming source is interlaced, like 1080i is, they convert it to progressive scan for display.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 07:26 PM
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

1080p is best with an HDMI cable. Without it, it appears the same to the untrained eye...

"The wait is over."

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 08:45 PM
Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

The untrained eye cannot see the difference between VHS and Blu Ray... and since most tv viewers have untrained eyes... wink

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 09:53 PM
sweersa

The untrained eye cannot see the difference between VHS and Blu Ray... and since most tv viewers have untrained eyes... wink

lol Beta Max > all other formats!

I think you will like this Queeq.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UHDV

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 10:21 PM
queeq
Chaos

Interesting. Sounds like a b!tch to work with but for a replacement of film, this is prolly the next stage. I doubt it's very much use for home use unless you insist on having an immense screen in your house and want to see it crisp sitting 2 metres away.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 07:52 AM
sweersa

Interesting. Sounds like a b!tch to work with but for a replacement of film, this is prolly the next stage. I doubt it's very much use for home use unless you insist on having an immense screen in your house and want to see it crisp sitting 2 metres away.

Yeah, I can't see how it would be very useful in a home environment. It would take a serious computer, or physical media capacity and a sweet player to do this.

I think it would be more popular for the cinema.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 11:01 AM
queeq
Chaos

Indeed. Large projection would benefit greatly from this technology, as well as integration with CGI.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 12:26 PM
sweersa

Indeed. Large projection would benefit greatly from this technology, as well as integration with CGI.

The nice thing about CGI is it is scalable in some respects. The 3d models I work on are unless you use a texture based on an image rather than a material.

Last edited by sweersa on Oct 28th, 2008 at 07:00 PM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 06:57 PM
queeq
Chaos

I didn't quite get that.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 09:51 PM