KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » 20 century fox

20 century fox
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coolmovies

20 century fox

do 20 century fox hold the rights to SW ? why lucus ? i mean every time we buy the OT the money should go to 20 century fox not lucus.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 05:24 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

Lucas is the creator, thus he has the intellectual rights. Fox is the distributor so they get a small piece of the pie... besides, they lost most of the rights in '77 already when Lucas negotiated that a lot of the rights, benefits, ... remained to him. Fox agreed because sci-fi wasn't in demand much at the time and they simply didn't believe in the movie. Lucas could make star wars because of the success of american graffiti.

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Oct 12th, 2008 06:45 PM
Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Grey Fox
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coolmovies
do 20 century fox hold the rights to SW ? why lucus ? i mean every time we buy the OT the money should go to 20 century fox not lucus.
Because George Lucas IS Star Wars

Old Post Oct 14th, 2008 03:53 PM
Click here to Send The Grey Fox a Private Message Find more posts by The Grey Fox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Yup.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2008 09:04 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Lucas should get 99% of all star wars profit

Old Post Oct 17th, 2008 12:02 AM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by JediRobin23
Lucas should get 99% of all star wars profit

He actually gets 109% of Star Wars profit if you include the under the table sales he heads regarding the deactivated weapons he uses to be reactivated and re-integrated into the Black Market.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2008 10:49 AM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 12:31 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by queeq
laughing out loud

It is a serious business. Just last week a family was murdered with a re-activated Han Solo blaster prop.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 02:00 PM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Hey, it happens.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 05:15 PM
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

activated weapons?

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 08:46 PM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

You never heard of those???

Old Post Oct 18th, 2008 09:57 PM
sweersa

Originally posted by JediRobin23
activated weapons?

Hehe. A lot of the weapons (blasters) in Star Wars are either the same or are replicas of actual firearms of different areas. They are usually modified or deactivated to not be used as an actual firearm unless it needs to fire blanks or something for the movie.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2008 01:56 AM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Lucas only got the films made because he agreed, at the time, to take a very small % of the profits from the film but negotiated it so that he would take almost all the revenue from sales of merchandise which, at the time, was usually very little (most films made tiny amounts on merchandise)...Lucas then set about selling huge amounts of merchandise and made a fecking killing in the process

not sure about how the deal stands from dvd sales now though but i would guess that 20th century fox still gets the biggest share of the pie from the movies but not the merchandising

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Nov 17th, 2008 06:36 PM
Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by jaden101
Lucas only got the films made because he agreed, at the time, to take a very small % of the profits from the film but negotiated it so that he would take almost all the revenue from sales of merchandise which, at the time, was usually very little (most films made tiny amounts on merchandise)...Lucas then set about selling huge amounts of merchandise and made a fecking killing in the process

not sure about how the deal stands from dvd sales now though but i would guess that 20th century fox still gets the biggest share of the pie from the movies but not the merchandising

Lucas is an independent filmmaker, so I assume he puts a lot of his own money into his projects and pockets a large margin to use for himself and the upcoming Sequel Trilogy.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2008 08:05 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by sweersa
Lucas is an independent filmmaker, so I assume he puts a lot of his own money into his projects and pockets a large margin to use for himself and the upcoming Sequel Trilogy.

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/buyingstarwars.html

seems we're both sort of right...Lucas financed the 2 sequels on his own and got the biggest share of the pie from those...but not a new hope...which fox owns the rights to

makes interesting reading, that link, though

Old Post Nov 17th, 2008 08:18 PM
Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/buyingstarwars.html

seems we're both sort of right...Lucas financed the 2 sequels on his own and got the biggest share of the pie from those...but not a new hope...which fox owns the rights to

makes interesting reading, that link, though

Wow, awesome read on that link, thanks.

Yeah I figured the Original Star Wars wasn't independent, I wonder who secured the rights for 7, 8, and 9.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2008 03:34 AM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Wow, awesome read on that link, thanks.

Yeah I figured the Original Star Wars wasn't independent, I wonder who secured the rights for 7, 8, and 9.

yeah there's alot of good stuff in the articles section about how the story developed in Lucas' mind and how it changed between 1973 and 1976 and the way he approached both the OT and the PT stories

makes a damn good read for those who are interested

Old Post Nov 18th, 2008 01:44 PM
sweersa

yeah there's alot of good stuff in the articles section about how the story developed in Lucas' mind and how it changed between 1973 and 1976 and the way he approached both the OT and the PT stories

makes a damn good read for those who are interested

Yeah, do they mention anything about the fabled sequel trilogy? I have an old Life magazine that talks about it briefly.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2008 07:56 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, do they mention anything about the fabled sequel trilogy? I have an old Life magazine that talks about it briefly.

unfortunately not anymore...

http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com/book.html

that page details the book (which used to be a free e-book which is no doubt still available online somewhere) and it mentions the sequel trilogy in appendix D

the book comes out later this year if you're that interested

Old Post Nov 18th, 2008 11:08 PM
sweersa

unfortunately not anymore...

http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com/book.html

that page details the book (which used to be a free e-book which is no doubt still available online somewhere) and it mentions the sequel trilogy in appendix D

the book comes out later this year if you're that interested

Very cool. I didn't know it was going to get published.

"Appendix D: The Legend of the Sequel Trilogy -- traces how the concept of sequels to Star Wars were formed and what happened to the infamous third trilogy that followed the original three films"

Heck yeah!

Old Post Nov 19th, 2008 03:21 AM