KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Revamped Dr. Doom Respect Thread

Revamped Dr. Doom Respect Thread
Started by: ODG

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ODG

While not encompassing all the updates I have for Doom, I thought I'd post these as well:

SORCERY

Doom's expertise permits him to (i) detect the considerable cloaking magicks of the Hood, and (ii) predict in advance, the teleportation of a god, from Secret Invasion: Dark Reign #1:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Doom's appearance in Dark Avengers also revealed quite a bit about his sorcery: (i) although ambushed by a prepped Morgana Le Fay, Dr. Doom is able to briefly hold his own for a time; (ii) apparently, Dr. Doom can use time travel with not just his machines, but his magic too when he banishes Morgana Le Fay to prehistoric ages; and (iii) transference spells capable of turning a god into stone are "simple" ones and easily reversed by Doom, from Dark Avengers #2 and 4:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Here, Doom manages to draw in and teleport Meggan out of Hell (who had just led an uprising throughout Hell itself), from Captain Britain and MI13 Annual #1:

(please log in to view the image)

Revamped Thor Respect Thread Revamped Loki Respect Thread
Revamped Hulk Respect Thread Revamped Iron Man Respect Thread

Last edited by ODG on Oct 17th, 2009 at 06:36 AM

Old Post Oct 17th, 2009 06:29 AM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

DOOM'S ARMOR

While it may appear self-evident, it's now clear that Doom's armor protects him from telepathic probing from even a telepath of Emma Frost's level, from Secret Invasion: Dark Reign #1:

And well, Doom has a built-in Time Cube. Which not only permits him to travel through time, but allows him to reverse time in localized areas, from Dark Avengers #4:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

This is pretty neat. Doom actually incorporated splinters of the "true cross" to ward off evil, like Dracula, Lord of the Vampires, from Captain Britain and MI13 #11:

Doom's fight with Doctor Voodoo revealed a few things: (i) he can teleport, (ii) he's got an Ectoplasmic Ionizer that discorporates ghosts, and (iii) he can literally seize control over magical teleportation energies, from Doctor Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural #1:

Old Post Oct 17th, 2009 06:31 AM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SoulDevourer
M0DERAT0R

if Dooms FF is so good how did Sentry so pwn it so easily? huh
either Sentry > Big G or they retconned his FF & made it weaker

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2009 06:01 AM
SoulDevourer is currently offline Click here to Send SoulDevourer a Private Message Find more posts by SoulDevourer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ Personally, I've never subscribed to the idea that two feats must be mutually exclusively from each other.

I've never felt the need to reconcile the two feats but for your curiousity, offhandedly, I'd say that in Secret Wars, Galactus bore the main brunt of the Beyonder's attack and Doom was luckily subjected only to the aftershock, whereas in Mighty Avengers, Sentry clearly has one of his redeeming uber-moments, ala curbstomping Terrax, overloading Absorbing Man, etc.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2009 04:36 AM
ODG

Re: Revamped Dr. Doom Respect Thread

In this update, I'd thought I'd showcase some of the more physical characteristics of Doom's actual armor a bit more:

BLAST POWER

While somewhat of a non-feat because Thing was previously injured, it's still impressive that Thing gets completely wrecked by only three of Doom's handblasts, from Fantastic Four #361:

Black Panthers advanced vibranium suit does not save him from being one-shotted and nearly killed by another handblast, from Black Panther vol.5 #2:

FORCE-FIELDS

Although Blastaar's power is magnified in the Negative Zone (he has lierally disintegrated Sersi in one shot once), Dr. Doom's forcefields are able to withstand his barrages, from Fantastic Four #318:

ARMOR'S DURABILITY

There aren't a lot of pure armor feats since Doom is rarely stripped of his forcefield, but I've neglected to add in a few obvious instances where he eschews the use of his force-field and completely relies on his armor. So I'm going to post a bunch to help illustrate the extent of his armor's durability. Here, the Human Torch's flames have literally no effect on his armor... heck, they don't even singe his cape. From Fantastic Four #318:

While it doesn't appear apropos for a respect thread since Doom is getting mightily pummeled, this is one of his armor's more impressive blunt force durability feats. Keep in mind, Namor's famously ripped Ironman's armor apart like it was paper underwater a couple of times. Here, Doom's getting straight up blitzed by a bloodlusted Namor underwater AND another Atlantean. I think that just surviving the barrage despite the doubling and redoubling of the blitz is quite impressive, from Namor vol.2 #31:

But for those who aren't impressed by Doom getting wrecked, here's another pure blunt-force armor durability feat, Doom barely registers a straight haymaker from the Thing, from Fantastic Four #537:

And Storm's point-blank lightning strike has no effect on Doom's armor whatsoever, from Black Panther vol.4 #19:

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2009 08:23 AM
Trackz

do we know if BP was wearing the vibranium suit? It looked like he was wearing a more decorative version of his suit..i'm not sure though.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2009 02:30 PM
Trackz is currently offline Click here to Send Trackz a Private Message Find more posts by Trackz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ Hmmm. I assumed his standard suit contained vibranium. I always considered T'Challa to be a prepare-for-anything at-any-moment type of guy. After all, why wouldn't he use vibranium in all his suits? Wakanda's rich with it. But then again, it may not be true. I'll have to re-read to see if it's mentioned at all.

In the meantime, here's an old one-on-one fight with Human Torch that I never uploaded. Don't know why, maybe because I thought it was too short. Because basically, Johnny gets curbstomped by Doom.

Doom vs Human Torch, from Fantastic Four #318:

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2009 04:45 PM
ODG

^ On review, I saw nothing that suggested Black Panther was prepared to take on Doom. Truly, a case of PIS. Because T'Challa and Doom both agree on how he would never agree to be recruited by Doom. And yet he shows up without his best suit? Stupid. For plot's sake. Which is what PIS is.

I've read Black Panther vol. 4 once through, and I don't remember any specific instance where he said he did, or didn't have, a vibranium enhanced suit as his base normal suit. Frankly, despite T'Challa's character of constant preparedness, unless someone has proof all his suits have vibranium lacing, than it's just a case of PIS on his part.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 05:54 AM
Heavenly king
The End of All

quote: (post)
Originally posted by lionfranky
Just asking. I am new to this site. Is it true that Beyonder willingly gave his power to Doom? I read the actual comic, but I am not too sure...

welcome to the site franky

Old Post Nov 5th, 2009 02:15 PM
Heavenly king is currently offline Click here to Send Heavenly king a Private Message Find more posts by Heavenly king Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Warlord
Yes, I am...

congrats for the well structured thread

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 10:41 AM
Warlord is currently offline Click here to Send Warlord a Private Message Find more posts by Warlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ Thanks. Some more updates focusing on the Doom's genius:

INTELLIGENCE

Doom combines his genius in both magic and science to resurrect the Atlantean, Attuma, who had previously had his head torn off by Sentry years ago. Not only that, but he increases Attuma's strength to Namor's level and gives him the ability to fly and breathe on land, from Dark Reign: Made Men #1:

Doom adds to his extensive knowledge by vivisecting Asgardians alive. A vile foray into knowledge that even Loki admits he has not explored. And within only a day or two, what is one of the first things Doom does with his newfound knowledge of Asgardian physiology? He creates cybernetic undead drones from their corpses with which to defend himself, from Thor #603-604:

DOOMBOTS

Doom adjusts and repurposes some old Doombot designs to act as assassins for Loki. Capable of wiping out entire divisions, notice that he is able to prevent them from being tracked both scientifically or magically, from Thor #603:

Here, a special Doombot emits thousands of smaller energy-siphoning drones which leech off the Iron Patriot's energy levels within the space of several panels (notice also that the energy source is completely unidentifiable by his Starktech), from Siege: The Cabal #1:

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 06:16 AM
MadMadTitan

WOW! Cool images! Nice feats! Thanks!

Old Post Dec 7th, 2009 08:05 PM
MadMadTitan is currently offline Click here to Send MadMadTitan a Private Message Find more posts by MadMadTitan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blinky
Android First Class

Dr. Doom is and always will be the best comic villian, IMO.

Awesome respect thread, in every aspect.

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

Old Post Dec 8th, 2009 02:15 AM
Blinky is currently offline Click here to Send Blinky a Private Message Find more posts by Blinky Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MadMadTitan

Originally posted by Blinky
Dr. Doom is and always will be the best comic villian, IMO.

Awesome respect thread, in every aspect.

Word!

Old Post Dec 8th, 2009 05:11 AM
MadMadTitan is currently offline Click here to Send MadMadTitan a Private Message Find more posts by MadMadTitan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kakuzu
A new heart I see!!

Originally posted by SoulDevourer
if Dooms FF is so good how did Sentry so pwn it so easily? huh
either Sentry > Big G or they retconned his FF & made it weaker

Sentry didn't pwn him. Reread his shield were already at like 7%, he had already used some of his power on Strange, and Sentry caught him off guard at the last minute when he took the mask off. Earlier he was pwning Sentry which I believe he did twice. All Sentry did was take his mask off and Doom didn't want to fight. Doom hates showing his face so that was really a weakness he accidentally exploited

Old Post Dec 13th, 2009 02:25 AM
kakuzu is currently offline Click here to Send kakuzu a Private Message Find more posts by kakuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Dr. Doom's Doombot had a pretty decent showing in the latest issue of Thor, if someone wanted to scan it. It was able to stand up to him for a while.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2009 09:09 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ Been working on a substantial update, but I suppose there's no need to wait to put it up. Here, a Doombot's managed to incur the wrath of Thor which was exactly Doom's plan all along. This one's far from over.

Doom(bot) vs Thor, from Thor #604-605

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 26th, 2009 08:33 PM
Rage.Of.Olympus

I thought from scan 1 to 6 that was the real Doom. From scan 7 to 8 that was a Doombot which was put in place after Thor left Doom alone and he disappeared. My reasons?

He wasn't goading like the Doombots and seemed to be the real Doom.

He wasn't connected to the power source in the lab, which all the Doombots so far in this story were highlighted to be.

Eh, hope the writer confirms it further.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2009 04:20 AM
Rage.Of.Olympus is currently offline Click here to Send Rage.Of.Olympus a Private Message Find more posts by Rage.Of.Olympus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

Setting that aside, here is another update on some of Doom's inventions. Props to darthgoober for the first scan:

DOOM'S INVENTIONS

Fear Rage Converter, which as you can guess, completely converts Titania's fear of Spiderman into pure rage, from Web of Spiderman #59:

Shrink Ray, (essentially the same as his Reducing Ray that we saw way back in Fantastic Four #10) which apparently is in the hands of Fantomex, from Dark Reign: The List - Wolverine #1:

Chronal Tracers, nanotechnology that not only tracks but also attracts those in the timestream, from Captain America: Reborn #4:

Actuality Shell, which is a forcefield of "true matter" which impressively prevents Nightmare's anti-energies from warping Latveria into the Unreal. As perspective, those anti-energies warped the entire world into the Unreal, from Doctor Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural: #3:

Old Post Jan 6th, 2010 05:45 AM
CATMANEXE

great job ODG. like your attitude too man, keep it up.

"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer."
-Hunter S. Thompson
—"Extreme Behavior in Aspen," February 3, 2003

Old Post Jan 9th, 2010 10:55 PM
CATMANEXE is currently offline Click here to Send CATMANEXE a Private Message Find more posts by CATMANEXE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote