KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Transformers » Transformers and life...

Transformers and life...
Started by: chilled monkey

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chilled monkey

Transformers and life...

NOTE: This topic has some spiritualistic themes. Please don't read too deeply into it as this is not meant to be a religous discussion. I just wanted to share an idea that I had. If I have offended anyone then I apologise. If moderators feel this thread is inappropriate then feel free to delete it.

One thing that makes Transformers so good is that although the characters are robots they are every bit as alive as any flesh-and-blood being. I was thinking about that one day and a thought came to me about why the idea works so well and is so easy to accept.

Most cultures share the belief (basically) that living beings have a soul or spirit and that our physical body is merely the shell that houses this spirit. Hence after death the essence of what we are still exists. I once read a quote that said "you don't have a soul. You ARE a soul. You have a body" (or something like that). Likewise consider Yoda's quote "luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."

Anyway, the point is that if one goes by this idea that our true essence is spirit, then it's quite easy to believe that a being whose shell is made of metal and circuitry is just as alive as one whose shell is flesh and bone.

Any thoughts?

Old Post Oct 20th, 2008 08:01 PM
chilled monkey is currently offline Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

It's quite alright man. I too have thought of a bot's spark as their mortal soul, and how an evil so huge can live on, much like Starscream's presence. In real life, an essense or 'ghost' like Starscream can't live on, but a person's evils can live on. I see what you mean that metal and circuitry can be taken literal as living beings, and their sparks are more than just their beating hearts, rather their souls.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2008 02:23 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Stephen King's "Christine" also rides that wave in a more sinister sense.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Oct 21st, 2008 11:47 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Stephen King's "Christine" also rides that wave in a more sinister sense.

I smell a remake, damn that Hollywood, they'll probably make it a teen-horror and cast a new-model P.O.S. Mustang as Christine.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 09:23 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

That'd be the last time I'd visit the theatre if that occurred.

I bet they'd have "Stiffler" playing the role of Arnie's Jock bud.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2008 09:41 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Re: Transformers and life...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by chilled monkey
One thing that makes Transformers so good is that although the characters are robots they are every bit as alive as any flesh-and-blood being. I was thinking about that one day and a thought came to me about why the idea works so well and is so easy to accept.
Any thoughts?

You are totally onto something, but a big part of what makes Transformers so good is that it's so damn cool how they can change into shit and stuff.

Old Post Nov 19th, 2008 01:45 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

Haha, shit and stuff!

Old Post Nov 19th, 2008 03:36 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

LOLZ

Well they sure change into shit on Bay's version.
(From shitty cars and trucks into even shittier robots)

Old Post Nov 19th, 2008 01:16 PM