KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Heroes » Arthur's Power

Arthur's Power
Started by: Mairuzu

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Captain REX
I think Ush is right about 'crappy storytelling' as far as that goes, Celestial. But he has it right about the genetic make-up of his cell regeneration. The cells can heal physical damage while healing the aging damage simultaneously.

Then the question remains. Why doesn't Adam age rapidly when the Haitian has turned off his regeneration?

Old Post Oct 25th, 2008 12:31 AM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Originally posted by celestialdemon
Then the question remains. Why doesn't Adam age rapidly when the Haitian has turned off his regeneration?
When have we seen the Haitian do this? Because to my knowledge we never saw the Haitian and Adam together except for when he and Peter were running form the Haitian and that was only for like a second if even that and even if the Haitian was near Adam doesn't mean he turned his ability off, its not exactly an ability that's really a thread to him. erm

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Oct 25th, 2008 07:08 AM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

It might have to do with the fact that abilities are tied in down to a genetic level... but I really couldn't say. The Haitian keeps people from accessing their abilities, so... perhaps a flaw on the part of the writers?

Old Post Oct 25th, 2008 07:28 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

It might have to do with the fact that abilities are tied in down to a genetic level... but I really couldn't say. The Haitian keeps people from accessing their abilities, so... perhaps a flaw on the part of the writers?
Funny you mentioned that, I was actually thinking about the genetic aspect of the show at work tonight.

See when we began it'd said they were genetically based but now they're changing that and claiming Mohinder's father was wrong all along and its adrenalin and hormone based. (Which I think is just more retarded horseshit! but that's me.) So if that's the case I was wondering why in five years gone it was so hard for Mohinder to suppress them. Not even to mention that in five years he was never able to figure it out but the answer was a variation of a virus his sister was apparently the patient zero for and who it was named after. erm (Mohinders a retarded scientist) But now seriously if the abilities are really adrenalin based then why the hell can't we come up with many ways to surprise them? confused

I donno I could just understand the genetic aspect of it all allot better and it just made more sense with all parts of the show. Like when Mohinder said he couldn't do anything about it because it was hard coded into their D.N.A., that made sense to me. If fact it just worked better all around with the gaining them and how they were so hard to take away but if its all about your hormones then shit, just give them some hormones to balance them out or whatever and stabilize, kill or activate powers. Its just another retarded thing they've done this season.

I really think the writers are just getting sloppy this year. The shows just becoming about bank. Nothing more!

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Oct 25th, 2008 07:50 AM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

It still has to be genetically-based (since DNA gives the codes for creating adrenaline and hormones as it is), but adrenaline and hormones are the triggers for the powers. At least that is what I understood. Not to mention that genetics seems to determine what power a person gets, as genetics are what define all traits in the human body naturally.

Old Post Oct 25th, 2008 09:03 AM
REXXXX is currently offline Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Originally posted by Entity
When have we seen the Haitian do this? Because to my knowledge we never saw the Haitian and Adam together except for when he and Peter were running form the Haitian and that was only for like a second if even that and even if the Haitian was near Adam doesn't mean he turned his ability off, its not exactly an ability that's really a thread to him. erm

Adam was a prisoner of the Company for 30 years. The Haitian has been an employee of the Company since he was a young teenager. According to Adam, the Company locked him up because they couldn't figure out a way to kill him. It seems highly unlikely that this group of brilliant people never once thought to use the Haitian's ability against him.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2008 06:34 AM
celestialdemon is currently offline Click here to Send celestialdemon a Private Message Find more posts by celestialdemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Adam was a prisoner of the Company for 30 years. The Haitian has been an employee of the Company since he was a young teenager. According to Adam, the Company locked him up because they couldn't figure out a way to kill him. It seems highly unlikely that this group of brilliant people never once thought to use the Haitian's ability against him.

We only have Adam's word for it (and he wasn't the most trustworthy of persons).

Old Post Oct 26th, 2008 11:21 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Another thing that makes sense to me is that the Haitian's ability isn't really to turn off abilities at all but rather his powers are memory based. So when he's close to abilities he is able to make them not exactly remember how they work thereby canceling them out all together but, someone like Adam and Claire's abilities are not active powers but passive. So they never have to think about their abilities they just work automatically naturally.

You can't really block that with any memory tricks.

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Oct 26th, 2008 06:07 PM
REXXXX
Networking

That kind of makes sense. I was going to say that the Haitian seems to be able to stop powers that require concentration. He never actually takes them away and something so inherent in Adam's body functions may keep functioning at a basic level so that he does not age.

Peter reputedly needs to think about people and remember them in order to recall their power, so it must require concentration for him to regenerate, which is why Future Peter may not have been able to access it after being shot, with the Haitian nearby.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 12:18 AM
S_D_J
Bane

Reading through the thread I see it has shifted from "why Adam die?" to incoherence, plot holes and just about every illogical aspect the show has... big grin ... funny.

I don't think you can analyze the show on scientifically level, cuz it's inherently wrong. The explanation as to why people have abilities is as acceptable as the X-men "mutation" explanation...

it's evolution, baby... and I can go along with that.

but once you get to analyze how these power works... or even how they are somewhat possible in the real world, then it all goes to hell.
I accept the theories or explanation given in the show, because to an extent they help to advance the story (usually their are just plot devices) ... nothing more than a convenient solution to stop thinking about how it works and just watch a man fly, another stop time, and other two beat the hell out of each other using flames and bolts (... and we're FINALLY getting some of that)

I accept them, but not necessarily like them... The presence of Arthur gives the show much needed focus (and hopefully they keep it for a while) and somewhat of and intriguing villain... but it's wrong in so many levels... starting with why it has powers..., the same goes with Sylar Petrelli and the constant future changing, but at least it seems to be finding it's footing... at last.

About Adam: I too like him, he was one of the best character in the show... but given how things are now... he was completely useless, they shouldn't have killed him... but it's done.

The thing about trying to explain WHY Adam die has nothing to do with how he died, but how people don't accept his death.

So: how does Arthur have powers?... has he always had them? I hope not... I thinking he got them using the formula... that's one explanation I have no trouble with...

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 02:52 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I'm not sure. I am guessing he had a power before... but we'll know more as more comes out about Arthur through the show.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 03:01 AM
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Originally posted by Bardock42
We only have Adam's word for it (and he wasn't the most trustworthy of persons).

Yet he would have no reason to lie about this.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 05:09 AM
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Another thing that makes sense to me is that the Haitian's ability isn't really to turn off abilities at all but rather his powers are memory based. So when he's close to abilities he is able to make them not exactly remember how they work thereby canceling them out all together but, someone like Adam and Claire's abilities are not active powers but passive. So they never have to think about their abilities they just work automatically naturally.

You can't really block that with any memory tricks.

Could be possible. However, back when Peter was "killed" by Sylar, all it took was Claire removing the glass from the back of his head to revive him. So, Peter couldn't think of healing himself, because he was basically dead.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 05:16 AM
REXXXX
Networking

Yeah, that was what put a hole in my theory with Peter's need for concentration. Though perhaps his body unconsciously started doing it? I can't be sure, I don't make the show.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 07:04 AM
Bardock42

Yet he would have no reason to lie about this.

Make Peter feel sympathetic?

Anyways, why wouldn't Arthur have had a power from the start?

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 01:14 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Could be possible. However, back when Peter was "killed" by Sylar, all it took was Claire removing the glass from the back of his head to revive him. So, Peter couldn't think of healing himself, because he was basically dead.
What do you mean However?

That entire post completely agreed and backed my theory?
Maybe I miss understood and you were meaning too but it seemed as though you were trying to disagree with me.

Just curious! confused

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 04:17 PM
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

What do you mean However?

That entire post completely agreed and backed my theory?
Maybe I miss understood and you were meaning too but it seemed as though you were trying to disagree with me.

Just curious! confused

I think I combined yours and Rex's posts. You said that the Haitian's power dampening may work by making people "forget" how to access their powers, which is why it wouldn't work on Claire or Adam, because theirs is always on.

Rex also said that it's possible that's the reason why Future Peter couldn't heal himself, because he had to concentrate to heal since it wasn't his natural power.

In either case, the writers screwed up. The Haitian was able to block Future Peter's regeneration so Claire could kill him. But Peter shouldn't need to remember how to heal, because he was able to heal even after he was "dead" when the glass was removed from the back of his head.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 07:07 PM
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Yeah, that was what put a hole in my theory with Peter's need for concentration. Though perhaps his body unconsciously started doing it? I can't be sure, I don't make the show.

I think we can just chalk it up to the writers' screwing up.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 07:09 PM
celestialdemon
Down from the Upside

Make Peter feel sympathetic?

You would think Adam telling Peter they kept him trapped for 30 years for no reason whatsoever or to experiment on him would have won more sympathy.

Anyways, why wouldn't Arthur have had a power from the start?

confused I never said he didn't.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 07:16 PM
Bardock42

You would think Adam telling Peter they kept him trapped for 30 years for no reason whatsoever or to experiment on him would have won more sympathy.

confused I never said he didn't.

Oh sorry, the second wasn't talking to you. But to the others in this thread wondering about it.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2008 07:21 PM