KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Limits

Limits
Started by: lord xyz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I asked a reasonable question in order to discern the reasoning for his statements.
Yeah, I didn't mean you though, hence quoting inimalist.

I do agree that highness does cause thoughts that venture into such realms though...and the point that much of what he says is not very thought through also is a sign for it.

On the other hand, inimalist makes a good point while being high.

Also, we should talk about limits, not highness.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 07:08 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by Bardock42
On the other hand, inimalist makes a good point while being high.

that was my only point...

and my post was sort of a euphemism for your first one as well... Not in a mean way though... cause you know, I roll like that

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 07:16 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by inimalist
that was my only point...

and my post was sort of a euphemism for your first one as well... Not in a mean way though... cause you know, I roll like that

Nah, you also made good points about limits being often artificial on artificial scales.

That's what I meant

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 07:19 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Nah, you also made good points about limits being often artificial on artificial scales.

That's what I meant

I'd have to say they are all artificial though

Its like Xeno's paradox of motion. An object must pass through an infinite number of specific locations before reaching another point.

Our scales are totally man made, in a way for us to put the universe into sort of discrete pieces. I guess it is true that they represent natural phenomena, but the measures and values are all man made.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 07:28 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

doesn't this depend entirely on the variable in question?

like, we can define scales with ends, thus limits exist.

hell, the concept of a limit is contingent to something having a variable that exists in a scale upon which a measurement can be made. All such scales are anthropic. So, yes, limits can exist, but only because we define them.
You're saying there isn't an actual limit to things. Which is what made me think, how is that possible?

hey, that is prejudice against those of us who are high right now
Not cool.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 07:33 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I'd have to say they are all artificial though

Its like Xeno's paradox of motion. An object must pass through an infinite number of specific locations before reaching another point.

Our scales are totally man made, in a way for us to put the universe into sort of discrete pieces. I guess it is true that they represent natural phenomena, but the measures and values are all man made.
I agree the scales are all manmade. The limits though, I don't know. I would say there are some limits that exist that we describe on scales.

And just stop whining, xyz, not cool

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 07:51 PM
tsilamini

Originally posted by lord xyz
You're saying there isn't an actual limit to things. Which is what made me think, how is that possible?

see my answer to Bardock

Originally posted by lord xyz
Not cool.

I don't follow

I agree the scales are all manmade. The limits though, I don't know. I would say there are some limits that exist that we describe on scales.

And just stop whining, xyz, not cool

Ya, it slipped my mind for a second that we were talking about limits and not scales.

I guess what you put earlier about which type of limit we are talking about is the most important, and knowing the particular variable in question.

Like, there is a limit to the lowest possible width of a solid object, an atom's width, but maybe that just pushes the anthropic definition back one level, and now "object" and "width" become the anthropic terms.

I don't know, I guess I have to concede that the physical properties of the universe do limit things in a certain way. Though, what Sym said about math being limitless is true.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 08:08 PM
RedAlertv2

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

On a scale of one to ten, how high are you right now?
Is there a limit to how high he could be? Is ten the limit?

How Could Hell Be Any Worse?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2008 05:53 AM
RedAlertv2 is currently offline Click here to Send RedAlertv2 a Private Message Find more posts by RedAlertv2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Is there a limit to how high he could be? Is ten the limit?

*sigh*

Listen to me you plebeian, it's a logarithmic scale with an asymptote at ten. Get it?

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2008 02:47 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonheartmm

numbers are concepts. anything PHYSICAL, from all that we have seen, has LIMITS to their magnitude, in whatever physical property we want to see. among EXISTING things, id say that imagination is the only thing that has no limits,

Old Post Nov 1st, 2008 04:49 AM
leonheartmm is currently offline Find more posts by leonheartmm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Kind of a dumb thread here.

Damn my boredom.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Nov 13th, 2008 09:54 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Closed on request of the thread starter.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2008 10:02 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote