KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Do we need to own them all ?

Do we need to own them all ?
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coolmovies

Do we need to own them all ?

We get films that come out three or four times e.g Terminator 1-3. The first two films are a classic but is it worth buying all three even if the last film is crap ??

Same goes for any other film serias .

Old Post Oct 31st, 2008 10:21 AM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not to me, if there is a sequel I don't like then I don't bother buying just so I have a whole trilogy on dvd seperately. I do have all three Terminators though because I got the third as a present for Christmas when it came out and I missed it at the cinema.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2008 05:40 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coolmovies
We get films that come out three or four times e.g Terminator 1-3. The first two films are a classic but is it worth buying all three even if the last film is crap ??

Same goes for any other film serias .

To each his/her own..

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 31st, 2008 10:05 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathbycorn
Restricted

Account Restricted

I have all the Texas Chainsaw Massacre's except the 2nd one which I hate. I even have The Next Generation which I think is better than part 2.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2008 10:42 PM
deathbycorn is currently offline Click here to Send deathbycorn a Private Message Find more posts by deathbycorn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I have the first Texas Chainsaw on DVD, have 2 and 3 on VHS only, the third one is the uncut one that I believe has yet to be released here in the UK smile

Old Post Oct 31st, 2008 11:23 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

It depends on the series really. I recently bought the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy just to complete my collection. But I never got the last two Halloween movies or the first two Scary Movies because they're crap.

I have the first Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the third, and the remake. I've been considering getting the 2 and 4 to complete the collection. I can get 4 for real cheap. Then I'd get 2 just to complete it. I wouldn't get the remake prequel though.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2008 04:34 PM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I may never buy a dvd ever again. I just don't watch the ones I own anymore, except a few like The Big Lebowski and The Star Wars Tril. A while ago I realized that video stores are basically my movie collection. I can go and rent any movie I want at just about any time, and I don't need to spend more that two dollars. It's rare I watch a movie over and over, and that is what I figure; if you know you will watch the same movie more than ten times, then you may as well buy it, which is never the case for me anymore.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2009 12:14 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I may never buy a dvd ever again. I just don't watch the ones I own anymore, except a few like The Big Lebowski and The Star Wars Tril. A while ago I realized that video stores are basically my movie collection. I can go and rent any movie I want at just about any time, and I don't need to spend more that two dollars. It's rare I watch a movie over and over, and that is what I figure; if you know you will watch the same movie more than ten times, then you may as well buy it, which is never the case for me anymore.

While your logic is sound, as I have well over 1200 DVDs (about 125 purchased, rest burned copies), I rarely dig into my binders to watch something I have archived anymore. The Big Lebowski (all cool people watch this film over and over) and Conan being movies I pull to watch at least once a year; maybe a couple others.

I do keep burning what I rent through Netflix, it's just a habit I guess.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 13th, 2009 08:06 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I own the first two Terminator movies as well as the box set of the OT Star Wars. Those are really all that I want to have in my library since I really didn't care for the more recent films.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jan 13th, 2009 11:05 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like owning all the films I like, I tend to watch a lot of single scenes in a film over and over, and knowing that I have that film in my collection and I can watch my favourite scenes whenever I want without waiting makes me happy smile

Old Post Jan 13th, 2009 04:27 PM
coolmovies

Its not how many you got but what you got that counts

Old Post Jan 15th, 2009 11:14 AM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Indeed, my collection is fabulous smile

Old Post Jan 15th, 2009 07:12 PM
coolmovies

I only have 50 Dvds

Old Post Jan 15th, 2009 08:47 PM
Corey2727

When it comes to Terminator, Yes because Terminator 1 and 2 were good enough to make up for thr 3rd one.

When it came to the Saw movies, No.

If the series is good enough I feel like I need them.

Take the Bourne movies for example, I got all of them.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2009 12:22 AM
Corey2727 is currently offline Click here to Send Corey2727 a Private Message Find more posts by Corey2727 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=

I understand your logic and respect it.

I, however, feel I need my movie watching not to be dependent on video stores. It's about 10 p.m. now. A lot of video stores are closed. Hollywood Video is still open, but that's about $5 a rental.

I don't need to get my wallet, crack open my bank account, drive to the video store, or even put pants on. And I can still watch just about any movie my heart desires.

I use rentals for two purposes:
- I'm seeing it for the first time.
- I don't plan to ever watch it again.

Once I watch a movie I own a couple times, it's already worth the purchase price.

And that's not to mention TV shows. You rent those by the disc. It's much more worth your dollar to just buy it.

Last edited by Wolfie on Feb 2nd, 2009 at 05:56 AM

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2009 05:53 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

To answer the original question, no you don't need to own all the films in a particular series. But it's up to you. For example, I own Terminator 3 to "complete the collection," even though I hardly watch it. Same with some other movies. It doesn't make any logical sense.

As far as renting vs. buying, there is something to be said for owning the actual dvd's and having a collection that represents your tastes. I take pride in my dvd collection. I pretty much agree with Wolfie on the renting, I usually do it if I've never seen a film before/don't plan on seeing it again. I do own movies that I watch pretty regularly though, which is a benefit of owning them.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2009 09:28 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
moneyhoney

I skip the crappy sequals unless i get a good deal on all of them.

I refuse to buy Resident Evil: Extinction, but own the other two.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2009 12:26 AM
moneyhoney is currently offline Click here to Send moneyhoney a Private Message Find more posts by moneyhoney Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Extinction was better than the second Resident Evil movie. I bought the second one because it was out on dvd before it reached cinemas here if I remember, crap movie but keeping it because I like the opening of the film, and the DVD packaging. Not buying the third one though to complete.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2009 06:01 PM
losttvseries

get them all!

Old Post Feb 14th, 2009 08:28 AM
losttvseries is currently offline Click here to Send losttvseries a Private Message Find more posts by losttvseries Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

What I can't stand, is the same goddamn movie being re-re-re-released in order to make more money. I.E. the damn Star Wars Trilogy. I like the SW films, they're pretty cool, but how many times have they been relased in special editions, combined editions and older editions in counting. I won't buy into all that.

Old Post Feb 14th, 2009 10:31 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote