KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Respect' Forum » Revamped Superman Respect Thread!!!!

Revamped Superman Respect Thread!!!!
Started by: kgkg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
tjcoady

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
Thumbnails, man.

Though, I might understand why you want it to slap people in the face.

With context, this feat is actually even better than a simple planet-moving feat. Much better.

That feat actually is Pre-Crisis (it takes place when Hawkman and Atom and Green Lantern were all on the team together, so around the Seventies)... although what "pre-crisis" actually means anymore is in doubt...

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 04:08 PM
tjcoady is currently offline Click here to Send tjcoady a Private Message Find more posts by tjcoady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Why are you telling me that ?

It seems that pre-Crisis with post-Crisis continuity have merged, but it doesn't mean we should start using feats from Pre-Crisis Superman. Not yet anyway.

But as long as stories that happened in Pre-Crisis continuity are remembered by current Superman or in a situation like this one, imo, feats are still applicable. Similar to how many things introduced in the Byrne era have been retconned, but many events during that period are still in continuity.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 04:39 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galvaclaw

quote:
Thumbnails, man. Though, I might understand why you want it to slap people in the face. With context, this feat is actually even better than a simple planet-moving feat. Much better.

I thought it deserved it. It hammers home that a lot of pre crisis stories are canon again.

quote:
IMO planet moving should be only accomplished by entity's with access to limitless power sources. It would take the ENTIRE Sun several years to put out enough energy to move the Earth.

No.

The potential energy between the sun and earth is 3.6 x 10^33 J. Thats about 8 hours of the suns energy So the feat was probably worth about a days energy.

Also even DCAU superman wouldn't get enough energy from the sun to perform his superfeats. The solar abttery theory has never made sence.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 05:24 PM
Galvaclaw is currently offline Click here to Send Galvaclaw a Private Message Find more posts by Galvaclaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eel O'Brien

During the Critical Condition arc when Steel is inside Superman, he comments on the "reactor" that converts solar energy into usable power.

I don't remember exactly how he words it, but he pretty much proves that Supes is more than just a battery.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 05:43 PM
Eel O'Brien is currently offline Click here to Send Eel O'Brien a Private Message Find more posts by Eel O'Brien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

"Solar Battery" was always seen, by me at least, of a layman's definition of superman's powers... i've never taken it to be that literal, tbh...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 06:04 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tjcoady

Three feats from Superman: Beyond should be in here.

1). Apparently Superman's origin story is so incredibly moving and powerful, it can create a competing narrative with which to combat absolute nothingness (I'm still not even entirely sure what it means, but it sounds unbelievably incredible).

2). Superman is literally the living embodiment of the concept of the Superhero, and the "idea" of him is even more powerful than any of his constituent super-powers.

3). Superman showing that the Monitors were misinformed. Apparently, Multiverse-level beings that can destroy universes with a thought are not the only individuals that can bottle or carry bleed; Superman can.

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 07:35 PM
tjcoady is currently offline Click here to Send tjcoady a Private Message Find more posts by tjcoady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by tjcoady
3). Superman showing that the Monitors were misinformed. Apparently, Multiverse-level beings that can destroy universes with a thought are not the only individuals that can bottle or carry bleed; Superman can.

he didn't just carry it, he used it as dental floss. stick out tongue

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 07:45 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Three feats from Superman: Beyond should be in here.

1). Apparently Superman's origin story is so incredibly moving and powerful, it can create a competing narrative with which to combat absolute nothingness (I'm still not even entirely sure what it means, but it sounds unbelievably incredible).

2). Superman is literally the living embodiment of the concept of the Superhero, and the "idea" of him is even more powerful than any of his constituent super-powers.
(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 08:40 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 08:40 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
vlaaad12345

None of that was precrisis the entire universes were rebooted with their entire histories generated,otherwise people who casually travel time all the time would have noticed that shit hit the fan 20 years earlier,waverider had to go to the linear mens headquarters to find out about the crisis,hal had to go directly into the timestream ect ect.

Whats funny is superman did that planet pulling pre infinite crisis upgrade so I guess we finnaly have a legitimate no one can argue against case of superman being able to generate planet destroying power(since it takes much more power to pull a planet weight against the suns gravity+starbreakers power).

Old Post Jan 22nd, 2009 08:42 PM
vlaaad12345 is currently offline Click here to Send vlaaad12345 a Private Message Find more posts by vlaaad12345 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

Originally posted by Raoul
"Solar Battery" was always seen, by me at least, of a layman's definition of superman's powers... i've never taken it to be that literal, tbh...
it's because it should say "rechargeable solar battery", normal alkaline batteries generate their own energy, superman doesn't.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 12:30 AM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tjcoady

My personal favorite theory is that Superman is literally capable of doing anything, regardless of how much solar energy he's soaked up, and that the whole "Solar Battery" thing is just his way of rationalizing it.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 02:46 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by psycho gundam
it's because it should say "rechargeable solar battery", normal alkaline batteries generate their own energy, superman doesn't.

exactly my point, dude.

My personal favorite theory is that Superman is literally capable of doing anything, regardless of how much solar energy he's soaked up, and that the whole "Solar Battery" thing is just his way of rationalizing it.

aye. within the limits of his powerset, of course.

as far as that feat goes, its canon, whether the actual feat happened now or pre crisis. it's referenced in a post crisis comic as having happened, and that's good enough for me.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 11:09 AM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

exactly my point, dude.

What point, even if can recharge he still has to drain ALL the suns energy over a period of several years.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 01:05 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eel O'Brien

^ Not if the solar energy simply acts as a catalyst for an internal metabolic reaction.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 02:42 PM
Eel O'Brien is currently offline Click here to Send Eel O'Brien a Private Message Find more posts by Eel O'Brien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
What point, even if can recharge he still has to drain ALL the suns energy over a period of several years.

Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
^ Not if the solar energy simply acts as a catalyst for an internal metabolic reaction.

i love being able to use quotes as a reply.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 02:58 PM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

For what , no author has ever made reference to it ?

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 03:58 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eel O'Brien

During the Critical Condition arc when Steel is inside Superman, he comments on the "reactor" that converts solar energy into usable power.

I don't remember exactly how he words it, but he pretty much proves that Supes is more than just a battery.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 05:06 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

is this what you're talking about?

(please log in to view the image)

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 05:20 PM
Eel O'Brien

is this what you're talking about?

(please log in to view the image)

That's the one. smile

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2009 06:59 PM