I would have said Legacy of Kain but the last game in that franchise was released years ago. I thought the first two Soul Reavers were very unique and deep games. the atmosphere and gameplay has never quite been duplicated in any other game. Legacy of Kain was definitely a solid installment in the series but was not in the same league as Soul Reaver 2.
Although God of War is my favorite franchise from that list i had to vote for Final Fantasy. Each game is an entirely different beast from the last. Although each game revolves around the redundant turn based battle system. Each new installment always has an innovative leveling and abilities system. The graphics for each game ALWAYS utilize the current gen technology to it's fullest and has a very deep story that takes days worth of gameplay to fully develop. The story for each game always seems to be it's only weakness. The plots are always intricately woven and thought out, to a point where it's only going to appeal to certain people and not always the people who enjoyed the last FF installment. Being so heavily focused on story and character development, if you don't like the story you are going to have a hard time finishing or even enjoying the game.
__________________ "If you tell the truth, you never have to remember anything" -Twain
(sig by Scythe)
How can you give this to anything other than Metal Gear Solid series (MGS 1, 2, 3, 4)? I think deep down even the haters probably recognise that its really is that great.
1. Literally every single game has been technically AND artistically incredible, with massive production value and genius ideas and concepts (all of them received incredible sales, reviews, and fan response).
2. The games have amazing, movie level musical scores, incredible gameplay (legendary boss battles, awesome and innovative stealth gameplay, massive amounts to do with lots of weapons and items etc, great combat), incredible storylines (ideas on par with great and innovative science/speculative fiction and military/war fliterature coupled with move like production (music, voice acting, cinematography, action)), arguably the best graphics around at each release (MGS4 still looks better than most stuff released today and it came out 4 years ago).
3. Each game in the series is such a big and important part of the series (the entire storyline depends fully on each installment for you to understand it and to make sense), but at the same time each game is SO DIFFERENT from one another, in both gameplay and story, as well as technical improvements.
4. Every single entry in the series has ALWAYS done something really innovative and quirky with the game design and story and how they work together, from the Psycho Mantis scene in MGS1, to the VR simulation/player mindfvckers in 2, to the stuff with the sorrow in 3, to the shadow moses recreation or microwave scene in 4 etc. Litersly, eveyr single game Hidoe Kojima does something that you cant really refer to as anything other than "genius" and he never fails with each new installment. Plus there is so much humour and really cool easter eggs in each game as well.
5. Not including them in main series but the spinoffs are also pretty good and original series was also amazing and innovative for the time. Even random non-canon stuff like Metal Gear Acid is also fun.
So yes, anybody who has experienced this series has no choice but to accept it as best.
I would be interested to see people's justificions for other series though. 3D Console Mario series is great, except for the fact that Sunshine wasn't all too great, 64 hasn't aged well at all especially controls, galaxy 1 and 2 are too imialr, and it is purely gameplay and production that is good, there is no storyline component. Same with 3D Console GTA Sandbox series (3, 4, Vice City, San Andreas) which is grea5t and even ahs a story, its just that the story isnt exactly what youd call profound. Stuff like Halo has shit story and each game is too similar in design, same with CoD and most other FPSs. Uncharted is SO OVERRATED! It has amazing production but it does not have amazing or innovative gameplay, or an interesting storyline. God of War is good in all areas but still just not good enough.