KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Music Discussion » Top 5 Best Guitarists Ever

Top 5 Best Guitarists Ever
Started by: Wil7

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by Wil Deirdara
He RUNS AS FAST AS HE CAN across the stage, JUMPS IN THE AIR, and JUMPS DOWN ON THE GROUND AND SPINS IN CIRCLES, and shreds while doing all of this, and can shred awesome, and you are saying that that isn't impressive.

No, it isn't. Not enough to warrant the idea that he's somehow in the top ten most skilled ever. It's visually pleasing and entertaining, but the purpose of shredding isn't to hit specific notes in some sort of melody.

quote:
He's well known, and is great, easily.

He's just not as musically accomplished as some other guitarists. Not top ten, no.

quote:
Generally by a couple notes. Something is wrong with you. All of there songs have different notes, and shit. I don't know what you are talking about. You are just trying to make them sound worse than they really are.

You caught me. I'm on some sort of musical Jihad against AC/DC where I post meaningless and baseless detractions about their relative ability.

Come on now, that's absurd. I'm simply telling you a simple truth: AC/DC's catalogue consists of contrived compositions that sound remarkably similar to their previous work. Even "Thunderstruck," which starts out with a truly memorable guitar riff, fades into the same rhythm and riff section that Young and company vaccuum seal in the freezer, to pull out on their next album.

quote:
Well neither Bryan or Bon are accomplished singers around the world, but Angus Young is known everywhere around the world. That is why people by AC/DC records, to hear AY's guitar solos.

I admire the level of appreciation you have for Angus Young, but you don't speak for the majority of AC/DC fans around the world. While I don't necessarily disagree with you, his popularity isn't necessarily a hallmark of world-class talent.

quote:
Know one you know, you must not know many people, because I know lots of people who say Angus Young is one of the greatest of all time.

And where is the justification for that? And, if you please, don't rehash the same argument you've just provided.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 10:44 PM
Gideon is currently offline Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Gideon
No, it isn't. Not enough to warrant the idea that he's somehow in the top ten most skilled ever. It's visually pleasing and entertaining, but the purpose of shredding isn't to hit specific notes in some sort of melody.

He's just not as musically accomplished as some other guitarists. Not top ten, no.

You caught me. I'm on some sort of musical Jihad against AC/DC where I post meaningless and baseless detractions about their relative ability.

Come on now, that's absurd. I'm simply telling you a simple truth: AC/DC's catalogue consists of contrived compositions that sound remarkably similar to their previous work. Even "Thunderstruck," which starts out with a truly memorable guitar riff, fades into the same rhythm and riff section that Young and company vaccuum seal in the freezer, to pull out on their next album.

I admire the level of appreciation you have for Angus Young, but you don't speak for the majority of AC/DC fans around the world. While I don't necessarily disagree with you, his popularity isn't necessarily a hallmark of world-class talent.

And where is the justification for that? And, if you please, don't rehash the same argument you've just provided.

You know what, you are just a waste of my time. Life is short, and you are wasting mine. Something is wrong with your head, you might need to get it checked. In conclusion, Angus Young is a great guitarist, no question, is he the best, no, Jimi Hendrix is probably, but seriously, you should get your head checked if you don't think all of the things that Angus Young does is impressive.

Starlock Rocks at Making Sigs...Judas Priest is Back!

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 10:53 PM
Ultimate Wil is currently offline Click here to Send Ultimate Wil a Private Message Find more posts by Ultimate Wil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Wil Deidara
You know what, you are just a waste of my time. Life is short, and you are wasting mine. Something is wrong with your head, you might need to get it checked. In conclusion, Angus Young is a great guitarist, no question, is he the best, no, Jimi Hendrix is probably, but seriously, you should get your head checked if you don't think all of the things that Angus Young does is impressive.

Yeah, look, I'm all for keeping this civil. But if you're going to be an ass, at least take lessons from someone who can do it in a clever way.

Otherwise, spare me the "lol u r just a waste of my time" dismissal that has become as contrived as any of AC/DC's riffs.

So because I disagree with you, something's wrong with my head? Because, by your own words, "I don't think all of the things Angus Young does is impressive," I'm insane or retarded? That's enough to warrant a couple of eye rolls.

Stop taking this personal. No one's being mean to you. I'm just pointing out that you've not been very persuasive as to why I should be in awe of Angus Young.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:00 PM
Gideon is currently offline Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Angus Young is a well known guitarist with a penchant for creating catchy guitar riffs; my problem with him and AC/DC is that the riffs and solos are contrived, repeating. Nothing new or original. There is no truly stellar musicianship within AC/DC. Brian Johnson isn't anything approaching an accomplished singer and Angus Young is not as technically gifted as people would have him believe. I get it that they come up with catchy rhythms, but given the level of hype they receive, you'd think there'd be more to their constitution.

i'd have to agree with this...the hype surrounding the new album is a bit ridiculous. even more so given that it sounds exactly like any other AC/DC album.

it does bring up another aspect of the debate though. why are riff makers ever really considered up there with the best lead guitarists. obviously not in terms of technical ability but in terms of emotive ability and writing ability.

for example is James Hetfield better than Kirk Hammet? again, not on technical skill but on what their respective playing gives to the audience. i chose Metallica as an example as they're known, predominantly, for their great riffs.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:03 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Don't even get me started on how much Black Ice blows. And all of this media attention on Britney Spears' new album.

History is a cruel master; there are those who truly deserve the attention based on merit and will never get it because of the world's stupidity.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:08 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

ah **** it...edit...cant be arsed with the hassle

we're all here to speak about music

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:11 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Don't even get me started on how much Black Ice blows. And all of this media attention on Britney Spears' new album.

History is a cruel master; there are those who truly deserve the attention based on merit and will never get it because of the world's stupidity.

unfortunately...the world's stupidity in relation to music is something we all have to suffer through.

the UK x-factor's murder of "hallelujah" sums it up perfectly.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:13 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

It extends to television, too, but that's an entirely different discussion for an entirely different forum.

The only reason that Black Ice sold what it did is because it's AC/DC. I bet half of the people didn't actually listen to the whole album before popping in Back In Black.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:18 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
The only reason that Black Ice sold what it did is because it's AC/DC. I bet half of the people didn't actually listen to the whole album before popping in Back In Black.

strangely enough...while up at a friends house last weekend, he put on the new album...and half way through he put on the older stuff.

same with the new GnR album (although i prefer Chinese democracy over Black Ice)

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:25 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, Guns N Roses is another touchy subject. I'm not a fan. Axl Rose's range is impressive, but he comes off as so incredibly whiney. I'm all for high tenors or countertenors in rock, but they have to apply their range appropriately to the song.

Not to mention that his antics are absurd. Slash's opening riff to "Sweet Child O' Mine" is notoriously catchy, though.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:28 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, Guns N Roses is another touchy subject. I'm not a fan. Axl Rose's range is impressive, but he comes off as so incredibly whiney. I'm all for high tenors or countertenors in rock, but they have to apply their range appropriately to the song.

Not to mention that his antics are absurd. Slash's opening riff to "Sweet Child O' Mine" is notoriously catchy, though.

yeah his vocals do tend to be a love it or hate it type of thing.

the only other criticism i have of the new stuff is that it's over produced and the guitars seem as if they've all been written with the thought "how would Slash make it sound" in mind.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:35 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Does he sound decent on the new material?

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:49 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

pretty much as he always did...i thought his voice would've taken a beating over the last few years but it doesn't seem that way...he can still reach the high notes.

like i say...it does sound over produced though...like they've packed in as much as possible.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:52 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

If he sounds better as far as mannerism, I might go buy it.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2008 11:59 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

most of the songs are available to listen to on youtube...give them a listen there 1st is probably the best advice i can give.

one thing i will say is that i don't think it's up to the standard that 14 years of writing and recording should make it.

then again. my liking for GnR and music in general has changed a lot in that time so maybe it's just me.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 12:10 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Hard to pick just five...
My favorites are:
(In no particular order)

Jimi Hendrix
John Lee Hooker
Brian May
Marc Ford
Elmore James
Robert Johnson
Dimebag Darrell
Marc Knopfler
Trey Spruance
Dave Gilmour
Jim Martin
Jimmy Page
Both guitarists in the band "The Hoax"
James Hetfield
Slash

If I had to pick favorites 5 Definitively, the picks being players who combined would be the ultimate in all situations:

Hendrix (For imagination, groove and the killer soulful leads, not to mention showmanship, for occasions where that matters)

Dime (For all that, plus ultimate vicious brutality in tone and technique)

Slash (For the killer melodies, and neck-position-pick-up string bending wailing)

Hooker (while not exactly being virtuso had such flavour and his hypnotic rhythm playing is something else. I could drown in an ocean of that... You could just loop "Boom boom" for me forever and I'd be listening or playing all the way.)

Spruance (for those unfamilar with he, is there for real character and feel being in his playing whether he is playing death metal, chicken pickin', augmented or diminished jazz chords, smooth Steve-Cropper-like soul licks.... His rhythm skills are killer and his lead abilities to scream, sing, quirk, warble, wail the blues or wield smoothness like a chilled Wes Montgomery seals the deal for this virtuoso.)

Damn hard choices.

There are like fifty that I could name that have all captured my ear and attention over the years and most that have had some kind of influence on me over the years too. Those five definitely the most.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Dec 17th, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 12:13 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Hard to pick just five...
My favorites are:
(In no particular order)

Jimi Hendrix
John Lee Hooker
Brian May
Marc Ford
Elmore James
Robert Johnson
Dimebag Darrell
Marc Knopfler
Trey Spruance
Dave Gilmour
Jim Martin
Jimmy Page
Both guitarists in the band "The Hoax"
James Hetfield
Slash

If I had to pick favorites 5 Definitively, the picks being players who combined would be the ultimate in all situations:

Hendrix (For imagination, groove and the killer soulful leads, not to mention showmanship, for occasions where that matters)

Dime (For all that, plus ultimate vicious brutality in tone and technique)

Slash (For the killer melodies, and neck-position-pick-up string bending wailing)

Hooker (while not exactly being virtuso had such flavour and his hypnotic rhythm playing is something else. I could drown in an ocean of that... You could just loop "Boom boom" for me forever and I'd be listening or playing all the way.)

Spruance (for those unfamilar with he, is there for real character and feel being in his playing whether he is playing death metal, chicken pickin', augmented or diminished jazz chords, smooth Steve-Cropper-like soul licks.... His rhythm skills are killer and his lead abilities to scream, sing, quirk, warble, wail the blues or wield smoothness like a chilled Wes Montgomery seals the deal for this virtuoso.)

Damn hard choices.

There are like fifty that I could name that have all captured my ear and attention over the years and most that have had some kind of influence on me over the years too. Those five definitely the most.

Not one mention of Duane Allman. *tsk* *tsk*

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 01:00 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

I acknowledge that he and Clapton should be there along with Peter Green, Dick Dale, Hank Marvin and Albert Lee. Too late to edit now I guess. But Marc Ford represents Allman pretty well.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 01:14 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
"Name your top five ever, then keep naming more.".

Stupid.

-AC

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 01:42 AM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

All I got out of that list was a giggle at the use of "Hooker" and "flavor" in the same sentence. Yes, it's juvenile. Oh, well.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 01:46 AM