KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Joker 89 v joker 08

Joker 89 v joker 08
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

SERIOUSLY, Parker? SERIOUSLY? Cesar is better than Heath?!?!

Hamill was good, but he was awesome only in Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker. He was much darker and crueler in these ones. I mean, am I the only one who thinks that a Joker who doesn't personally kill is a bit annoying?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 02:03 PM
Master Crimzon is currently offline Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

well no not better. I just personally liked him the best cause he was the only one on screen that LOOKED like the joker.I didnt care for nicholson cause he had the wrong build.when they got Nolan I thought I would have the perfect joker on film that I would always love since he is the only director so far in the movie who cast Bale who has been the one and only true bruce wayne/batman to play the role and like i said, was great as BOTH bruce wayne and batman something that all the other actors failed to accomplish.while I was pleased that he cast someone that had the right physical build for the role,I hated his look,thats one thing right Burton did was get the LOOK of the joker right. so since Romero was the only one that had BOTH the right build AND right look,he is my personal favorite of the three.Not that he is the best of them all,its just he is my favorite cause he was always constantly laughing all the time the way the joker does-something that jack and heath didnt do so he is my personal favorite.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2008 08:35 PM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

I personally think a combo of Jack and Heath's Joker would be the perfect Joker. I agree Nicholson was a bit out of shape but I think he still played the role well enough. But I think that Heath's Joker was a bit MORE of a mastermind than Nicholson's was though I do think Nicholson's Joker's take over of the Gotham mob and his poisoning of Gotham's beauty products was pretty brilliant and cruel. However Heath's Joker was missing a bit of whimsy. Yes the Joker is a dark sinister killer but he has fun with it and there is a certain silliness about it. Killing people with joy buzzers etc. Heath's Joker didn't have that completely to me. There were glimmers of it though.

Selina: No darker than yours, Bruce

Old Post Dec 25th, 2008 06:13 AM
SelinaAndBruce is currently offline Click here to Send SelinaAndBruce a Private Message Find more posts by SelinaAndBruce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

Mr. Parker- Romero is your favorite because he looks most like the comics? That's, if you don't mind me saying, a tad bit shallow. Isn't the character's substance a bit more important than their PHYSICAL APPEARANCE? Seriously, dude. Personalities are more important than looks, if you know what I mean- definitely in a movie character. Laughing all the time is just annoying. And whimsical. Romero's Joker was no where near evil enough (Surfing contest!), sadistic, dark, or scary enough to qualify as anything other than a watered down, made-for-kids version of the 60's Joker. To me, these qualities- that actually form who the Joker is- are infinitely more important than the character's external qualities. Like the comics =/= best, not to mention that- in personality- Romero's Joker is almost nothing like the Joker of today. He was a pathetic villain by today's standards.

Romero's Joker was the silliest conceivable version of the Joker, even though he is arguably the most faithful adaption of the Joker of his time. That being said, though, these times were hardly the best time for comics, and it doesn't have anything to do with today's Joker. Nicholson? Took the style of the Joker of these days, left out the substance (which is a nice summary of the Burton movies). He was a laughing psycho with creative methods of murder. But he lacked what made the Joker tick, outside of the "You-created-me-I-created-you-thing", which was undeveloped anyway. He didn't have the fascination with Batman, and he lacked the will to prove that morality is bullshit and insanity is the natural thing in our times. He also didn't mind-**** people, which I always thought was an important part of the Joker.

Heath's? He took the basic qualities of the Joker (look, laughter, motives) and expanded upon them, to create his own version of the Joker. He was the closest to the Joker depicted in stories like the Killing Joke- in his core. Heath simply gave him a more subdued, realistic personality and made him scary as hell. Comics are a different medium than film- therefore, films have to make alterations to the source material. As a movie, Heath works the best out of the three Jokers. Even his appearance is flat-out awesome, similarity to the comics be damned.

So, yes, he is definitely my favorite Joker. He was actually pretty funny, too, but in a darker and more subtle way.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2008 05:31 PM
Master Crimzon is currently offline Click here to Send Master Crimzon a Private Message Find more posts by Master Crimzon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kovacs86
Well, actually, Hamill would be pretty terrible as The Joker in a live action film...

He was, however exelent as the voice for the 90's Animated series.

Old Post Dec 25th, 2008 09:47 PM
Mandrag Ganon is currently offline Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

Originally posted by Master Crimzon
Mr. Parker- Romero is your favorite because he looks most like the comics? That's, if you don't mind me saying, a tad bit shallow. Isn't the character's substance a bit more important than their PHYSICAL APPEARANCE? Seriously, dude. Personalities are more important than looks, if you know what I mean- definitely in a movie character. Laughing all the time is just annoying. And whimsical. Romero's Joker was no where near evil enough (Surfing contest!), sadistic, dark, or scary enough to qualify as anything other than a watered down, made-for-kids version of the 60's Joker. To me, these qualities- that actually form who the Joker is- are infinitely more important than the character's external qualities. Like the comics =/= best, not to mention that- in personality- Romero's Joker is almost nothing like the Joker of today. He was a pathetic villain by today's standards.

Romero's Joker was the silliest conceivable version of the Joker, even though he is arguably the most faithful adaption of the Joker of his time. That being said, though, these times were hardly the best time for comics, and it doesn't have anything to do with today's Joker. Nicholson? Took the style of the Joker of these days, left out the substance (which is a nice summary of the Burton movies). He was a laughing psycho with creative methods of murder. But he lacked what made the Joker tick, outside of the "You-created-me-I-created-you-thing", which was undeveloped anyway. He didn't have the fascination with Batman, and he lacked the will to prove that morality is bullshit and insanity is the natural thing in our times. He also didn't mind-**** people, which I always thought was an important part of the Joker.

Heath's? He took the basic qualities of the Joker (look, laughter, motives) and expanded upon them, to create his own version of the Joker. He was the closest to the Joker depicted in stories like the Killing Joke- in his core. Heath simply gave him a more subdued, realistic personality and made him scary as hell. Comics are a different medium than film- therefore, films have to make alterations to the source material. As a movie, Heath works the best out of the three Jokers. Even his appearance is flat-out awesome, similarity to the comics be damned.

So, yes, he is definitely my favorite Joker. He was actually pretty funny, too, but in a darker and more subtle way.

I agree, but you forgot to mention that Romero had a ****ing moustache!

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Dec 26th, 2008 10:03 AM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Master Crimzon
Baby Killer

He was also pretty flabby.

Yeah, that mustache is hilarious though. Sorry, did I say hilarious? I meant ****ing horrifying.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2008 01:52 PM
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Originally posted by Kovacs86
I agree, but you forgot to mention that Romero had a ****ing moustache!

LOL! That was funny. Every close up shot of his face you could see it.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2008 10:40 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpyCspider

After repeated viewings of the Dark Knight, I realized I didn't like the fact that Ledger's Joker didn't use any of comic Joker's trademark weapons...ie, palm-buzzer, acid flower, etc.

He was psycho but what made him THE JOKER? If anything, Jack's Joker used chemicals to make victims laugh and twist their faces into a creepy smile right before they died and to me, that's a lot more mentally disturbing than being cut up and applied lipstick a la Heath's Joker.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 07:20 PM
SpyCspider is currently offline Click here to Send SpyCspider a Private Message Find more posts by SpyCspider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

erm
Tough choice, but I think I'm gonna have to go with Ledger on this one, though I admit HL's Joker wasn't as true to the character, but eh.. I liked his Joker laugh and stuff more than Jack's stick out tongue, but both were very good for their respectable films, especially for their time period.

How about something more one-sided? Two-Face 95 vs Two-Face 08 laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 11:52 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Read The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth and then tell me that Jack's Joker is more faithful to the comics.

The original and current Joker is an intelligent lunatic with a sadistic sense of humor, but also with some sort of method to his madness.

He wants to prove as Crimzon said, morality is bullshit, and insanity is the natural thing.

Sure, Jack had all the funny gadgets, but those are just superficial things. He lacked the Joker ideology.

Joker has an obsession with Batman, and desires to make Batman just like him, a murderer.

All are traits of Heath's Joker.

So yeah, although he(And Mark Hamill's Joker) are my faves, with that said, I still enjoyed Jack's performance, though not as much.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 12:12 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The only reason Mr Parker likes Cesor Romero's Joker is thats how he remembers The joker from the comics he has read

Parker you might want to check out some of these other titles people have mentioned (The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth).

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 09:43 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SelinaAndBruce

Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
Read The Killing Joke and Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth and then tell me that Jack's Joker is more faithful to the comics.

The original and current Joker is an intelligent lunatic with a sadistic sense of humor, but also with some sort of method to his madness.

He wants to prove as Crimzon said, morality is bullshit, and insanity is the natural thing.

Sure, Jack had all the funny gadgets, but those are just superficial things. He lacked the Joker ideology.

Joker has an obsession with Batman, and desires to make Batman just like him, a murderer.

All are traits of Heath's Joker.

So yeah, although he(And Mark Hamill's Joker) are my faves, with that said, I still enjoyed Jack's performance, though not as much.

Jack's Joker was obsessed with Batman too but he was just obsessed with one upping him which is also an aspect of the Joker as well. Like I said I do think Heath's Joker definitely captured a lot of the mentality of the Joker but I don't think the personality was matched quite so well. I mean I can't imagine Heath's Joker running around mad trying to stop Holiday in the Long Halloween just because Holiday was becoming more famous than him. That is something I could think of Jack's doing though.

As I said I think a flawless portrayal would have been a combination of the both of them. But both I think did great with what they were given, and Heath just had a better role and better script to play off of.

Selina: No darker than yours, Bruce

Old Post Jan 2nd, 2009 07:56 AM
SelinaAndBruce is currently offline Click here to Send SelinaAndBruce a Private Message Find more posts by SelinaAndBruce Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ultimate Wil
Faster than a bullet

I liked both Joker's. Heath's was scary, and so was Jack's. I couldn't choose who did a better job.

Starlock Rocks at Making Sigs...Judas Priest is Back!

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2009 12:50 AM
Ultimate Wil is currently offline Click here to Send Ultimate Wil a Private Message Find more posts by Ultimate Wil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CellDweller

Now just imagine if back in 1989 Jack had the script for 2008. I would have loved to have seen Jack in the money burning role when he grabbed the other mobster and said "Tell your boys they work for me now." I think that whole scene with jack in 1989 would have been awesome.

On a side note, just imagine if Ledger's death was all a scam? Imagine if his death was faked by Hollywood, for the purpose of bringing in the big bucks for the next Batman film, and no one knew about it until the next Batman release. Wouldn't that be something!!! Could you imagine the frenzy to see that movie.

.....ahh, IF ONLY.....

R.I.P. Ledger sad

Old Post Jan 4th, 2009 01:18 PM
CellDweller is currently offline Click here to Send CellDweller a Private Message Find more posts by CellDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by CellDweller
Now just imagine if back in 1989 Jack had the script for 2008. I would have loved to have seen Jack in the money burning role when he grabbed the other mobster and said "Tell your boys they work for me now." I think that whole scene with jack in 1989 would have been awesome.

On a side note, just imagine if Ledger's death was all a scam? Imagine if his death was faked by Hollywood, for the purpose of bringing in the big bucks for the next Batman film, and no one knew about it until the next Batman release. Wouldn't that be something!!! Could you imagine the frenzy to see that movie.

.....ahh, IF ONLY.....

R.I.P. Ledger sad

lol.. One would expect a bunch of angry reactions if that happened. stick out tongue

But yeah, I agree. sad

Old Post Jan 5th, 2009 01:01 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Heath Ledger was a far better Joker imo. It's been a long time since I've seen Batman '89, but from what I remember, Jack Nicholson's Joker felt too much like Jack Nicholson himself. Everytime he spoke, I heard Jack. I can't hear any trace of Ledger in his role as the Joker. I can accept that his Joker was changed to fit the tone/atmosphere of Nolan's Batverse, it didn't bug me.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jan 5th, 2009 04:56 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MisterAJ
weirder than you...

I can haz Joker..?

Attachment: joker.jpg
This has been downloaded 86 time(s).

Old Post Jan 8th, 2009 04:27 AM
MisterAJ is currently offline Click here to Send MisterAJ a Private Message Find more posts by MisterAJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

lol @ Cesar Romero/the 60's Joker being placed alongside Jack's and Heath's version.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2009 09:21 AM
starlock
Team Authority

Originally posted by TheGame17
...... But the 89 Joker was cheesy confused

run of the mill? I don't know ANYbody that can put up a performance like that.

Well i can think of plenty..but thats not to say that just because i did not like it..does not mean heath's not a good actor...i prefere a comic book joker..for a comic book movie....heaths performance to me..was nothing special...thats just my opinion....i dont like certain music..and certain albums put out by bands i do like....but i respect the talent behind it.....but its the batman forum and hey..we all have our likes and dislikes....i do not believe it was heaths fault..in fact i dont like bale as bruce or batman...he does not fit any incarnation of batman i have ever read in my 30 years of reading batman...he looks nothing like him..and he has the wrong build...his speech is horrible...but again...for me thats not batman...but i think he has alot of talent though..in any case for this threads purpose...if we took the whole history of batman...and i dont mean what has been recently(for teenagers who know nothing of the long history of batman and the joker)..which for batman is a fraction of his history...we would see a batman that does not fit and a joker..who is not any joker i have ever read...but i understand times change...i just dont have to like it..thats all wink

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post Jan 8th, 2009 03:03 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote