KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Batman: Battle for the Cowl

Batman: Battle for the Cowl
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Dick Grayson 31 56.36%
Tommy Eliot 3 5.45%
Tim Drake 6 10.91%
Jason Todd 8 14.55%
Other 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Batman: Battle for the Cowl
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by willRules
KILL HIM!!!! I think we should do a story arc called Batman DOA where the new Batman is killed......by being impaled on Morrison's penis!!!!!

seriousness aside, I think it should be Bruce, failing that it should be Dick. I'm worried that they are gonna do a switcheroo at the last minute and Nightwing not be Batsy no

laughing laughing

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
No comment...

I know exactly how you feel.

Originally posted by Juntai
I saw in the new solicitations that Azrael is back in March.

Looking at the god awful costume I don't think thats Jean Paul Valley

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 07:57 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Nobody will be Batman. Like Batman: RIP showed, and I'm sure Battle for the Cowl will further enforce, only Bruce can be Batman, and that's the way it will always be.

I find absolutley nothing interesting in Dick, Tim or anybody else (yes, even Jason Todd) being Batman. It's practically Nightwing/Robin/Red Hood in Batman/Bruce's costume.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Dec 17th, 2008 at 08:09 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 08:06 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

And Tim?
Goes the way of his 1990's kin?

Probably. He's not in the new Teen Titans lineup if you noticed.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 08:10 PM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by Philosophía
Nobody will be Batman. Like Batman: RIP showed, and I'm sure Battle for the Cowl will further enforce, only Bruce can be Batman, and that's the way it will always be.

I find absolutley nothing interesting in Dick, Tim or anybody else (yes, even Jason Todd) being Batman. It's practically Nightwing/Robin/Red Hood in Batman/Bruce's costume.
Most likely of all the scenarios.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 08:12 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

Looking at the god awful costume I don't think thats Jean Paul Valley
I like the look of it.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 08:12 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

The entire idea of someone replacing Batman is down right retarded! I refuse to play this game of "The Dating Game" and try to guess who is behind door number 2. It seems to me that for some strange reason people think that you evolve from Robin to Nightwing into finally Batman....WTF? This ain't Pokemon! Didio is full of it.

Now, of course this isn't the first time it's been tried and yes...it will fail and FAIL and FAIL everytime...the formula doesn't work.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Dec 17th, 2008 at 08:21 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 08:18 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I like the look of it.

I wish they had brought Jean Paul's costume though..

The entire idea of someone replacing Batman is down right retarded! I refuse to play this game of "The Dating Game" and try to guess who is behind door number 2. It seems to me that for some strange reason people think that you evolve from Robin to Nightwing into finally Batman....WTF? This ain't Pokemon! Didio is full of it.

Now, of course this isn't the first time it's been tried and yes...it will fail and FAIL and FAIL everytime...the formula doesn't work.

I absolutely agree..

I give DC 8 months to retcon everything and then Bruce Wayne will be back where he rightfully belongs

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 10:39 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jumpmann
Glower of Eyes

When Morrison says Bruce Wayne will never be Batman again then yeah, I'm gonna give it at least two years.

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I wish they had brought Jean Paul's costume though..

I absolutely agree..

I give DC 8 months to retcon everything and then Bruce Wayne will be back where he rightfully belongs

Can you just say you agree with everything Wrath says for the next 8 months? I got it!

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 10:56 PM
jumpmann is currently offline Click here to Send jumpmann a Private Message Find more posts by jumpmann Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Whilst I agree with you that Bruce shouldn't be replaced, I do think that this whole evolution of the sidekicks so to speak is a vital part of the Batman mythology as it represents the legacy aspect of the characters that is such a prevalent theme not just within the Bat family but many DC characters. If we assumed the characters aged like we did, we would want the successors to be Nightwing or Robin. It's logical, it's natural and it feels just darn right.

But on the whole as these characters are timeless, they should have just kept Bruce yes

Old Post Dec 17th, 2008 11:29 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by willRules
Whilst I agree with you that Bruce shouldn't be replaced, I do think that this whole evolution of the sidekicks so to speak is a vital part of the Batman mythology as it represents the legacy aspect of the characters that is such a prevalent theme not just within the Bat family but many DC characters. If we assumed the characters aged like we did, we would want the successors to be Nightwing or Robin. It's logical, it's natural and it feels just darn right.

But on the whole as these characters are timeless, they should have just kept Bruce yes

But here Robin and Nightwing are not evolving WITHIN character...they're changing into an already establish evolved character. When Dick moved out of his Robin persona he created a newer character. In the Nightwing's mythology he's a level above Robin...he never intended to be "replacement" for Batman. He is his own unique myth.

Picture the Lone Ranger's mythos....if for some reason LR dies would you say that Tonto should replace him?

No...doesn't sound good, does it? So, yes! a character like Robin should be evolved....Nightwing is the peak. After Nightwing...that's it! You don't evolve from Nightwing to Batman...it's just flawed. Because as I mention...you cannot evolved into a character that is already establish...even more iconic for that matter.

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:03 AM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 12:01 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Only Flashes & Green Lanterns get replaced for good.
(Or, it used to be the rule BD = Before Didio.)

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 12:30 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HaSon

But here Robin and Nightwing are not evolving WITHIN character...they're changing into an already establish evolved character. When Dick moved out of his Robin persona he created a newer character. In the Nightwing's mythology he's a level above Robin...he never intended to be "replacement" for Batman. He is his own unique myth.

Picture the Lone Ranger's mythos....if for some reason LR dies would you say that Tonto should replace him?

No...doesn't sound good, does it? So, yes! a character like Robin should be evolved....Nightwing is the peak. After Nightwing...that's it! You don't evolve from Nightwing to Batman...it's just flawed. Because as I mention...you cannot evolved into a character that is already establish...even more iconic for that matter.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 01:38 AM
HaSon is currently offline Click here to Send HaSon a Private Message Find more posts by HaSon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Originally posted by Vally Doosh
(please log in to view the image)

[insert happy smilie to substitude lost image]

smile

Last edited by WanderingDroid on Dec 18th, 2008 at 03:25 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 04:25 AM
Martian_mind
telepathy+debates+=Pwned

Originally posted by Vally Doosh
Jason as Bats and Damian as Robin lmend nothing like Dan Didio

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 07:05 AM
Martian_mind is currently offline Click here to Send Martian_mind a Private Message Find more posts by Martian_mind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

Actually, the Nightwing costume, name, and all were already a Kryptonian legacy. That's where Dick got the idea. It's not his myth at all.

Nightwing will change now however, because the real Nightwing is there.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 01:31 PM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

1) Like Juntai established this is evolution for the characters. I disagree with the Lone Ranger analogy as even Nightwing was derived from a previous figure. I'm not saying Nightwing isn't new or unique as his own character, I am just saying, yes IMO Nightwing should be Batsy if the need were there. I agree with you that Bruce should stay, but that's clearly not gonna happen so I'm hoping Dick does as in my eyes it fulfills such a long standing father and son/legacy dynamic

2) I never claimed there was a hierarchy spanning from Robin to Nightwing up to Batman, perhaps you interpreted that from my use of the term evolution. However it makes sense in terms of succession and it seems logical and has a nice feel to it so I have no problem if that happens as long as I enjoy the story first.

3) Perhaps it's because I'm not a big Lone Ranger fan but I wouldn't be too overly concerned if he were replaced. I'm a big Captain America fan and I love Brubaker's run. If you'd asked me about the idea of Bucky replacing Cap several years ago I'd have said "YOU'RE CRAZY, BUCKY'S DEAD AND WILL ALWAYS BE, AND THEY WON'T HAVE THE BALLS TO KILL OFF CAP!!!"

Maybe we just disagree on our taste in the story concepts and if that's the case, well............ you're wrong stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 06:47 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

...So, what's the point of the "Batman" forum, again...?

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 06:49 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

As Smurph put it the other time you cried about this ..

Originally posted by Kovacs86
That sounds pretty awesome. Though there is a Batman forum, you know. It's pretty annoying when Batman threads are stuck in this forum...

Originally posted by Original Smurph
I would never go into the Batman forum, and would consequently never see this thread, and might never buy the comic.

Now I will.

This forum gets more traffic, and anybody who's seriously annoyed can simply not go in the thread.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 06:53 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

We have a Batman forum?

Fancy that.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 09:06 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Originally posted by Kovacs86
...So, what's the point of the "Batman" forum, again...?

Old Post Dec 18th, 2008 09:53 PM