KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Star Trek Vs. Star Wars

Star Trek Vs. Star Wars
Started by: Zampanó

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (26): « First ... « 21 22 [23] 24 25 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

The idea that the "tech" and "look" of the new Star Trek movie looks less advanced is simply rubbish.

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

Click on 360 panoramas to get views of the Enterprise, which, btw, are literally more advanced than the older star trek tech. From Holographic HUDs, to touch screens that look strangely familiar to Minority Report.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2009 09:01 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
The idea that the "tech" and "look" of the new Star Trek movie looks less advanced is simply rubbish.

Clearly it's not given the pictures I posted earlier.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Sep 27th, 2009 01:25 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101
Clearly it's not given the pictures I posted earlier.

I'm not sure what this means.

Are you saying that the website does not have pictures similar to the ones you posted earlier?

Old Post Sep 27th, 2009 03:15 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Forget I typed anything. It was about 2am and I was drunk.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2009 12:59 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by dadudemon

http://www.startrekmovie.com/

Click on 360 panoramas to get views of the Enterprise, which, btw, are literally more advanced than the older star trek tech. From Holographic HUDs, to touch screens that look strangely familiar to Minority Report.
While areas like the Bridge and Sickbay look suitably advanced, areas like engineering look ridiculously pathetic by technological comparison. My visual/design gripe on the new ship is mostly with the 20th century engineering section placed in a 23rd century ship. That, and the "pew-pew" hand phasers.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post Sep 28th, 2009 03:45 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Acrosurge
That, and the "pew-pew" hand phasers.

laughing laughing laughing

I woke up my wife when I started to laugh out loud. DAMN YOU!

Old Post Oct 1st, 2009 05:13 AM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

laughing out loud

Sorry, but that's what they look and sound like!

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post Oct 1st, 2009 01:36 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

I'm back in the ST forum guys:

The Federation definitely had to have learned from it's wars against the Dominion & Borg. When the Voyager returned from the Delta Quadrant with new technology, certaintly they "borrowed" quite a bit of it's advanced shielding, weaponry, etc etc. Sven of Nine, a former Borg stated "many of the systems are quite impressive" or something along that line.

So it would be plausible to assume that many Federation ships would be equipped with the new systems. Specifically the Soveregin, Akira, Prometheus, Defiant & Luna classes. As I stated before in a previous post, those ships are hybrids designed for combat & exploration - the future of Federation ship design.

War Doctor

Old Post Nov 12th, 2009 06:39 PM
Darth Truculent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

Originally posted by Darth Truculent
I'm back in the ST forum guys:

The Federation definitely had to have learned from it's wars against the Dominion & Borg. When the Voyager returned from the Delta Quadrant with new technology, certaintly they "borrowed" quite a bit of it's advanced shielding, weaponry, etc etc. Sven of Nine, a former Borg stated "many of the systems are quite impressive" or something along that line.

So it would be plausible to assume that many Federation ships would be equipped with the new systems. Specifically the Soveregin, Akira, Prometheus, Defiant & Luna classes. As I stated before in a previous post, those ships are hybrids designed for combat & exploration - the future of Federation ship design.

sven of nine? future manager of the england football team? lol...nice misspelling there

also, the sovereign class was made after voyager returned to earth and shows no use of borg-tech. At the start of First Contact or Insurrection, Janeway is an Admiral...she was promoted after voyagers return from the delta quadrant.

Borg-tech is supposedly used after Nemesis, as is explained in ST11 pre-film graphic novella.

CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2009 11:56 AM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by CadoAngelus
sven of nine? future manager of the england football team? lol...nice misspelling there

also, the sovereign class was made after voyager returned to earth and shows no use of borg-tech. At the start of First Contact or Insurrection, Janeway is an Admiral...she was promoted after voyagers return from the delta quadrant.

Borg-tech is supposedly used after Nemesis, as is explained in ST11 pre-film graphic novella.

at the start of star trek nemesis, she's an admiral. voyager didnt get home until after ds9's seventh season, which is long after the enterprise e was built. several years in fact.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Nov 13th, 2009 12:18 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

Originally posted by -Pr-
at the start of star trek nemesis, she's an admiral. voyager didnt get home until after ds9's seventh season, which is long after the enterprise e was built. several years in fact.

i knew i hadn't seen the films for some time, but i seem to be loosing touch with my knowledge...god damnit lol

good call dude - my bad stick out tongue

CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2009 12:31 PM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

The Dowd (sp?) episode was on recently.

Riker said that the ship (that keeps materializing) hit them with the equivalent of 40 gigs of power. That didn't do anything to their shields. So we have a definite low end of capacity.

The ship fired again, only this time it had the equivalent of 400 gigs, I think. That tore through them like a hot brand through tissue paper. I think we can call it an upper limit on the shields' strength.

Is this a reasonable example of the Enterprise's defensive capacity, or is there some reason to think that the Federation ship should be able to handle more firepower than this?

Old Post May 10th, 2010 11:59 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

The power levels are a bit all over the place on Star Trek to be honest.

Supposedly 7 of 9's arm can withstand 5 million gigawatts of power.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Watt

Here's a list of some examples of power outputs

By Voyager the Federation were routinely building ships that were producing power well into the terrawatt range.

The federation are also relatively weak in comparison the power house races of ST.

It should also be noted that regularly the enterprise channeled extra energy to the shields...

Given this piece of info.

The warp core aboard a Galaxy-class starship generates 12.75 billion gigawatts per second of energy.

You could argue that the enterprise could theoretically channel most of that energy to the shields (keeping some for life support...firing photon torpedoes etc)

Old Post May 11th, 2010 01:18 PM
Zamp
The Blind Critic

quote:
It should also be noted that regularly the enterprise channeled extra energy to the shields...

Do we have any indication on just how much of the total capacity could be used? Geordi is always talking about how the [x] emitters canna' take the strain cap'n!

Also, the Federation isn't mobilized for full scale war during most of TNG, right? For instance, when the Romulans show up after having "more pressing matters to attend to" (THANK YOU SCI FI CHANNEL MARATHONS) would the Federation have been in a position to repel an attack? What, exactly, is the deal with the war against the Cardassians/Dominion/Jem'Hadar that I keep hearing about? (Political leadup was handled how, exactly?)

Old Post May 12th, 2010 03:00 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Is this a reasonable example of the Enterprise's defensive capacity, or is there some reason to think that the Federation ship should be able to handle more firepower than this?

Not really. Plot plays a role in it. Like the Pegasus episode. A lot of people like to play that episode against Star Trek.

Old Post May 12th, 2010 04:21 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Do we have any indication on just how much of the total capacity could be used? Geordi is always talking about how the [x] emitters canna' take the strain cap'n!

Also, the Federation isn't mobilized for full scale war during most of TNG, right? For instance, when the Romulans show up after having "more pressing matters to attend to" (THANK YOU SCI FI CHANNEL MARATHONS) would the Federation have been in a position to repel an attack? What, exactly, is the deal with the war against the Cardassians/Dominion/Jem'Hadar that I keep hearing about? (Political leadup was handled how, exactly?)

There is very few instances when the Federation are mobilised for full scale war...One is at the battle of Wolf 359 when a single Borg cube pretty much completely decimates the entire fleet on its way to earth. The other is the battles on DS9.

I have a bootleg of the complete DS9 sitting in the house now as it's the only series I never really got into when I was younger so I don't know the full ins and outs of the battle against the Dominion etc.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Federa...minion_Cold_War

This explains a bit about the lead up to the war.

From my experience, DS9 is far more political where as TNG was scientific. Hence the reason that when they were shown when I was young I was far more in to TNG...I'll get around to watching all of DS9 eventually though.

Old Post May 12th, 2010 11:12 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The thing is, though, that the Dominion War was a full scale campaign. The Federation faced an enemy that had far superior numbers and still won.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 12th, 2010 11:15 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

The thing is, though, that the Dominion War was a full scale campaign. The Federation faced an enemy that had far superior numbers and still won.

With more than a little help from the Romulans and Klingons of course.

Not to mention that the Dominion could only bring finite numbers through the wormhole in a given time period.

If they had their full strength at hand then they would have walked over the alpha quadrant.

Old Post May 12th, 2010 11:37 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by jaden101
With more than a little help from the Romulans and Klingons of course.

Not to mention that the Dominion could only bring finite numbers through the wormhole in a given time period.

If they had their full strength at hand then they would have walked over the alpha quadrant.

the romulans didn't come in until the war was well underway, and the klingon leadership was in shambles. the federation did the bulk of the tactical work during the early war. the argolis array for example.

the dominion had shipyards in cardassian space that were building ships at 100% capacity while the federation were at 30% or so.

yes, if they had brought their full forces through they would have won, but even without that, they still outnumbered every one else.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post May 12th, 2010 11:42 AM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

the romulans didn't come in until the war was well underway, and the klingon leadership was in shambles. the federation did the bulk of the tactical work during the early war. the argolis array for example.

the dominion had shipyards in cardassian space that were building ships at 100% capacity while the federation were at 30% or so.

yes, if they had brought their full forces through they would have won, but even without that, they still outnumbered every one else.
True, and the Dominion also had troop cloning facilities in the Alpha Quadrant, including one on Rondac III.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post May 12th, 2010 03:25 PM