KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Star Trek Vs. Star Wars

Star Trek Vs. Star Wars
Started by: Zampanó

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (26): « First ... « 22 23 [24] 25 26 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jaden101
It's Fat Albert

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
the romulans didn't come in until the war was well underway, and the klingon leadership was in shambles. the federation did the bulk of the tactical work during the early war. the argolis array for example.

the dominion had shipyards in cardassian space that were building ships at 100% capacity while the federation were at 30% or so.

yes, if they had brought their full forces through they would have won, but even without that, they still outnumbered every one else.

It's established that technological advancement is slow in the Dominion and while they are capable of understanding and using complex strategies, the Jem'hadar are not the most cunning or adaptive race. As Worf would say. "This is our (the Federation's) biggest advantage".

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post May 12th, 2010 04:13 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Originally posted by jaden101
It's established that technological advancement is slow in the Dominion and while they are capable of understanding and using complex strategies, the Jem'hadar are not the most cunning or adaptive race. As Worf would say. "This is our (the Federation's) biggest advantage".

the jem'hadar weren't the best, but the vorta and the changelings were the thinkers, and they were good at it.

i'm not sayin the federation wasn't better, but they weren't exactly up against a stupid foe.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied – chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post May 12th, 2010 11:43 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snoopdogg
Big Pimpin

As far as sheer numbers go which was larger the Federation Starfleet or the Imperial Starfleet?

"I am not afraid of the dark the dark's afraid of me"

Old Post May 15th, 2010 07:25 PM
snoopdogg is currently offline Click here to Send snoopdogg a Private Message Find more posts by snoopdogg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zampanó
The Blind Critic

That depends on who you ask. If you ignore Zahn and his ignorance (500 warships will shift the balance of power my foot) then the Empire has a gazillion ships at its disposal. But, on the other hand, if you do accept that, then there is a little bit more to go on. Intuitively, I would pick 'Wars as the numerically superior faction.

Old Post May 16th, 2010 11:39 PM
Zampanó is currently offline Click here to Send Zampanó a Private Message Find more posts by Zampanó Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

From what I've gathered, Star Wars has a Star Forge that pumps out ships like that robot woman in the Do the Evolution video that pushed out babies. And, judging from the theme of the SW EU, there's probably a machine that pumps out Star Forges too.

Old Post May 17th, 2010 05:36 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
From what I've gathered, Star Wars has a Star Forge that pumps out ships like that robot woman in the Do the Evolution video that pushed out babies. And, judging from the theme of the SW EU, there's probably a machine that pumps out Star Forges too.
If you cherry pick the largest numbers from the EU, then the Empire has a huge numerical advantage over the Federation. Other EU numbers contradict this, however, but the sources from the films and television shows suggest that the Empire's total fleet is about 20 times the size of the Federation Starfleet in the 2370s and 2380s. Either way, I think its safe to assume that the Empire outnumbers the Federation in ship count.

On the other hand, I don't think the Empire outnumbers the total combined fleets of the Star Trek galaxy. There's just too many technologically advanced races with powerful fleets in the Milky Way galaxy. The largest two groups would likely be the Dominion and the Borg.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Last edited by Acrosurge on May 17th, 2010 at 05:30 PM

Old Post May 17th, 2010 05:22 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zampanó
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by Acrosurge
If you cherry pick the largest numbers from the EU, then the Empire has a huge numerical advantage over the Federation. Other EU numbers contradict this, however, but the sources from the films and television shows suggest that the Empire's total fleet is about 20 times the size of the Federation Starfleet in the 2370s and 2380s. Either way, I think its safe to assume that the Empire outnumbers the Federation in ship count.

On the other hand, I don't think the Empire outnumbers the total combined fleets of the Star Trek galaxy. There's just too many technologically advanced races with powerful fleets in the Milky Way galaxy. The largest two groups would likely be the Dominion and the Borg.

This.

I keep forgetting that I pit the Empire against the entire galaxy. It might have been better to say that one faction fights at a time. I tried that with the whole "alliances" clause, but it came out convoluted and biased.

Can any one faction beat the Empire? The Borg or Jem'Hadar are my only guesses, and that is through sheer numbers.

Old Post May 17th, 2010 11:13 PM
Zampanó is currently offline Click here to Send Zampanó a Private Message Find more posts by Zampanó Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

The borg could probably assimilate them too, i'd say...

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied – chains us all irrevocably."

Last edited by -Pr- on May 18th, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Old Post May 17th, 2010 11:16 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
This.

I keep forgetting that I pit the Empire against the entire galaxy. It might have been better to say that one faction fights at a time. I tried that with the whole "alliances" clause, but it came out convoluted and biased.

Can any one faction beat the Empire? The Borg or Jem'Hadar are my only guesses, and that is through sheer numbers.

The Empire from what era? Movie era, so Palpatine and Vader plus all the sith acolytes Vader trained (if you count EU)?

CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post May 17th, 2010 11:40 PM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
The answer to your question is: Yes. Many Star Trek factions have a chance to beat the Empire by merit of superior technology. The Krenim and the Federation are among these. The Krenim could simply employ their temporal weapon to erase any pivotal Imperial ship, base, or Sith from the timeline and their chroniton torpedoes could easily pass through Imperial shields. As for the Federation, by the end of the prime Star Trek time line (2387), their ships are as fast or faster than Star Wars ships and are (IMO) technologically superior in most respects, with respect to canon (films and TV, not EU).

The Borg and the Dominion would simply overwhelm the Empire. The Borg, by far superior tech/defense/firepower and assimilation. The Dominion have a tech advantage and excel at infiltration and destabilization. Their shapeshifting agents could penetrate the Imperial Navy at every level and dismantle it from the inside out. There aren't enough Sith to detect them all and you can be sure that Star Wars sensors ain't going to do the job.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Last edited by Acrosurge on May 18th, 2010 at 02:59 PM

Old Post May 18th, 2010 02:55 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gollumizer

ok I have to say that this is like comparing apples to oranges. Both are show amazing creativity and the ability to evolve into millions of people arguing about them on the internet. but the fact remains that you cant compare them in an all out war, they're totally different franchises that, while sharing many things in common, are totally differen't. of course the empire wouldnt be able to defend against their weapons because they've never had the need to. while I agree both are awesome, you just cant compare them.

Old Post May 21st, 2010 04:31 PM
gollumizer is currently offline Click here to Send gollumizer a Private Message Find more posts by gollumizer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
snoopdogg
Big Pimpin

A buddy of mine one time showed me some books a couple years back called the Star Trek guide or something and he aslo had a Star Wars guide book of some kind. He was comparing the ships and all of the Star Wars ships were faster with more powerful weapons iirc. But it's been awhile.

"I am not afraid of the dark the dark's afraid of me"

Old Post May 21st, 2010 09:47 PM
snoopdogg is currently offline Click here to Send snoopdogg a Private Message Find more posts by snoopdogg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by snoopdogg
A buddy of mine one time showed me some books a couple years back called the Star Trek guide or something and he aslo had a Star Wars guide book of some kind. He was comparing the ships and all of the Star Wars ships were faster with more powerful weapons iirc. But it's been awhile.
I owned quite a few tech manuals on both sides, but yeah, they're outdated now. And in the case of the infamous Attack of the Clones: Incredible Cross Sections, they are often contradicted by what we observe in the films and television shows.

In regards to speed, if you are taking the entire Star Trek galaxy into account, then Trek has ships that put Star Wars travel times to shame. The Borg, for instance, have a transwarp network that allows them to deploy anywhere in the galaxy in minutes (Star Wars fastest ship would take many hours or days to make the same trip). Another Trek species used propulsion called Quantum Slipstream which offered similar speeds.

Historically, Federation Starfleet ships have been all over the place in regards to speed. However, in the 2360s-2370s, it stayed pretty consistent that a trip across the entire galaxy would take almost a lifetime. However, a significant breakthrough in warp technology was apparently made by or before 2387, allowing Federation ships to travel much faster and able to cover hundreds of lightyears in minutes.

So, as I've posted earlier, the Starfleet ships from the 2380s are actually superior in FTL speed than most Star Wars ships. Heck, even the Enterprise seen in the recent movie (with warp tech reverse engineered from Nero's mining clunker, which was by no means a fast ship in 2387) seems to have a faster travel speed than its Star Wars counterparts.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Last edited by Acrosurge on May 22nd, 2010 at 01:52 PM

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 01:39 PM
jaden101
It's Fat Albert

Originally posted by Acrosurge
are often contradicted by what we observe in the films and television shows.

In regards to speed, if you are taking the entire Star Trek galaxy into account, then Trek has ships that put Star Wars travel times to shame. The Borg, for instance, have a transwarp network that allows them to deploy anywhere in the galaxy in minutes (Star Wars fastest ship would take many hours or days to make the same trip). Another Trek species used propulsion called Quantum Slipstream which offered similar speeds.

Should also be noted that the warp scale is logarithmic

http://www.trekmania.net/science/warp_scale.htm

Also that Voyager's shuttle actually achieved warp 10 which is infinite speed and Tom Paris was at all places in the universe at 1 moment.

Old Post May 22nd, 2010 09:10 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

So Warp 10 would be instant travel, anywhere. Correct?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post May 24th, 2010 04:52 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zampanó
The Blind Critic

nerd sniping is mean

Old Post May 25th, 2010 03:28 AM
jaden101
It's Fat Albert

Originally posted by Robtard
So Warp 10 would be instant travel, anywhere. Correct?

Depends whether where you stop could be easily controlled...But yes.

Although technically it would instant travel everywhere.

Old Post May 25th, 2010 11:30 PM
InfernoJG95
darth inferno

Both series is equel though for space battles ST would dominate the battle but for ground battles SW would win

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 11:25 AM
InfernoJG95 is currently offline Click here to Send InfernoJG95 a Private Message Find more posts by InfernoJG95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InfernoJG95
darth inferno

Plus it's gotta be star trek & star wars v twillight who will win

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 11:49 AM
InfernoJG95 is currently offline Click here to Send InfernoJG95 a Private Message Find more posts by InfernoJG95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Originally posted by InfernoJG95
Plus it's gotta be star trek & star wars v twillight who will win

I hope you're not serious.

Originally posted by jaden101
Depends whether where you stop could be easily controlled...But yes.

Although technically it would instant travel everywhere.

IIRC though in the TNG Episode "All Good Thing" the future Enterprise was capable of going Warp 12 and it wasn't instantaneous.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2010 02:42 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote