KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom

Why Sam Raimi dislikes Venom
Started by: Doc Ock

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
werehawk

quote: (post)
Originally posted by harri

But you can all hate me for this comment, laughing out loud

No worries about the comment, I already hate you!

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 01:08 AM
werehawk is currently offline Click here to Send werehawk a Private Message Find more posts by werehawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

IMO i like venom cuz he is basically what spiderman would have been if he had carried on with the symbiote, it shows the inner darkness in spidey.

Not really.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 01:25 AM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Originally posted by Doc Ock
And if your response is again going to be it was the 60's, then why do they keep those traditional comic book looks for the villains even today? I'll tell you why: Because the attraction to those villains is in the writing, not the cool look, unlike Venom.

I actually find Venom has had some good writing, one of my reasons as to why I was attracted to the character was due to his humour, how he could be so psychotic and yet other times sarcastic/funny.

Originally posted by Doc Ock I never said he can't be an effective villain. I think any villain can be effective with proper writing. Venom's just never had it, IMO.

I think he's had good writing in the past, maybe not so much in the 90's but early appearances, I think he did.

Originally posted by Doc Ock As for Venom's impact on Spidey, stalking him, and giving him some fierce punch ups hardly puts him on the A-list. Especially when you consider he's armed with the knowledge of Spidey's true identity.

Nonsense. The reason they are popular is because they are great villains. Not because they resemble the hero or have their powers.

I think he is a great villain, he's unique and he was something different at the time (the whole Symbiote thing.) He's a villain just out to kill Spider-man unlike most other villains who just wanted to rob a bank or rule the world; I also think he added something new he tapped into Peter's fear and the thoughts that because of him (Peter) Venom now exists. Venom himself I think he was interesting not because of his pure hate but the fact he toys around and makes the most out of the moments, yes he is pure hatred, but he'll never stop and he develops a sort of sarcastic demeanor like Spider-man he makes quips usually mocking Spider-man.

Also before he got shrugged into the hero category you could see that conflict of him trying to help people, trying to be a hero yet he would also kill anyone who got in his way/stopping him from killing Spider-man, I think there's a little more their then just hatred, the hatred is the plot device, I mean you also have the whole Symbiote loves Spider-man yet also hates him scenario going on.

Originally posted by Doc Ock And I still say I agree with Raimi's stance. It's the the cool look, the similar powers to Spidey, and other shallow niceites like that which make Venom appealing.

It hallmark moments in Spidey's life, how many of them would feature Venom? Hardly any. In fact I'd say none. Only getting the symbiote because it allowed Peter to explore his dark side.

Just to state in the comics the Symbiote never made Peter bad, in fact there's never any indication that leads you to believe it's making him evil, that comes from the 90's TAS plot device.

Just my opinion on things.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 01:51 AM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen I actually find Venom has had some good writing

Can you give me some examples of stories which yield such writing?

quote:
I think he's had good writing in the past, maybe not so much in the 90's but early appearances, I think he did.

Well, that I can somewhat agree with because he was new and fresh back then. But it's soured by his weak reasons for hating Spider-Man.

quote:
I think he is a great villain, he's unique and he was something different at the time (the whole Symbiote thing.)

That goes for most of Spidey's villains. They're all unique in their own way. Even the various Goblins are all different in their motivations and backstories.

quote:
He's a villain just out to kill Spider-man unlike most other villains who just wanted to rob a bank or rule the world

I'd say that makes him rather boring. Which is why he went past his sell by date in the 90's, and they totally changed his motivation and made him anti-hero.

Suddenly killing Spider-Man was not priority one. In fact he even teamed with Spidey several times.

Lame.

quote:
I also think he added something new he tapped into Peter's fear and the thoughts that because of him (Peter) Venom now exists.

But he really didn't. Brock is his own self creation. Spider-Man was not standing in the way of Brock writing a proper news story about Sin Eater. Brock simply chose to focus his hatred on a stranger he never even met. A guy who did nothing but catch a serial killer.

Spidey was not directly linked to Brock in any way, shape, or form. Brock is a self made person who came across the symbiote by sheer chance.

That's one thing Spider-Man 3 actually did better. They made Peter directly responsible for creating Venom by having Peter humilate Brock, get him fired, date the girl Brock had an obsession for, and the reason Brock was in the church was because of Peter. He was asking god to kill him.

quote:
Venom himself I think he was interesting not because of his pure hate but the fact he toys around and makes the most out of the moments

Green Goblin has done all of that. And better, too.

quote:
Also before he got shrugged into the hero category you could see that conflict of him trying to help people, trying to be a hero yet he would also kill anyone who got in his way/stopping him from killing Spider-man

More example of contradictory bad writing. Again is it any wonder Raimi was put off by this?

quote:
I think there's a little more their then just hatred, the hatred is the plot device, I mean you also have the whole Symbiote loves Spider-man yet also hates him scenario going on.

Yet they never did anything interesting with that angle. They had the opportunity when Brock sold his symbiote, but instead they gave it to the Scorpion laughing

quote:
Just to state in the comics the Symbiote never made Peter bad, in fact there's never any indication that leads you to believe it's making him evil

So why did he get rid of it in the bell tower if it was not a bad influence on him?

Last edited by Doc Ock on Dec 29th, 2008 at 03:02 AM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 02:59 AM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Keehar

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen

Just my opinion on things.

So to sum up your post, you like Venom because he hates Spider-Man and has good humour?

You must love Jonah Jameson then stick out tongue wink

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 03:16 AM
Keehar is currently offline Click here to Send Keehar a Private Message Find more posts by Keehar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Can you give me some examples of stories which yield such writing?

I can get some scans of some humor/psychotic parts to his personality but it'll take some time.

[B]Well, that I can somewhat agree with because he was new and fresh back then. But it's soured by his weak reasons for hating Spider-Man.

I can agree the reason for hatred was weak, I think it was more because the script had to be changed, Venom was at first supposed to be a woman etc, but the editor had it changed close to his appearance deadline so that was a rush job.

That goes for most of Spidey's villains. They're all unique in their own way. Even the various Goblins are all different in their motivations and backstories.

I'd say that makes him rather boring. Which is why he went past his sell by date in the 90's, and they totally changed his motivation and made him anti-hero.

Suddenly killing Spider-Man was not priority one. In fact he even teamed with Spidey several times.

Lame.

I think Marvel decided to make him a hero to feature him more in his own series, that and also to give him a justified response to win battles or be in certain situations etc.

But he really didn't. Brock is his own self creation. Spider-Man was not standing in the way of Brock writing a proper news story about Sin Eater. Brock simply chose to focus his hatred on a stranger he never even met. A guy who did nothing but catch a serial killer.

Spidey was not directly linked to Brock in any way, shape, or form. Brock is a self made person who came across the symbiote by sheer chance.

More example of contradictory bad writing. Again is it any wonder Raimi was put off by this?

Again I think it was more of him being rushed into the series and then everyone wanting to put their own "stamp" on the character when he became popular.

Originally posted by Doc Ock Yet they never did anything interesting with that angle. They had the opportunity when Brock sold his symbiote, but instead they gave it to the Scorpion laughing

Yeah that was a bad move on their part no question about it.

So why did he get rid of it in the bell tower if it was not a bad influence on him?

Because it took him out at night so he was exhausted in the morning that and he didn't like the idea of being permanently stuck to another creature.

Originally posted by Keehar
So to sum up your post, you like Venom because he hates Spider-Man and has good humour?

You must love Jonah Jameson then stick out tongue wink

Not so much the hatred that's just the excuse for him being psychotic, I like him for humor the psychotic nature and the symbiote/symbiote relationship, as well as a few other things here and there, the design for instance.

Last edited by Neo Darkhalen on Dec 29th, 2008 at 03:53 AM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 03:50 AM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
I can get some scans of some humor/psychotic parts to his personality but it'll take some time.

It's ok, mate, you don't have to put yourself to any trouble. I've read all of Venom's stories thru the years. I know what you're talking about.

His humour, while amusing, isn't anything deep. As for his insanity, well that's the fallback reason isn't it for his silly reasons for hating Spider-Man. "Oh he's crazy. It doesn't have to make sense". Well, when it comes to personal feuds between hero and villain, their basis for the feud most certainly has to make sense. It being based on nothing but a delusional mind makes for a weak feud.

It's probably why they never took the Venom/Spidey feud anywhere interesting.

quote:
I can agree the reason for hatred was weak, I think it was more because the script had to be changed, Venom was at first supposed to be a woman etc, but the editor had it changed close to his appearance deadline so that was a rush job.

They could have revamped the origin, or at least if he was going to lose his job, make Spidey have a direct link to it like in Spider-Man 3. As horrible as the movie was, they got that part right.

When Venom was hating on Spidey in that movie, I could believe his hatred for what Peter did to him.

quote:
I think Marvel decided to make him a hero to feature him more in his own series, that and also to give him a justified response to win battles or be in certain situations etc.

No, they changed it because the stalking Spidey routine got stale. But the character was popular, and they didn't want to axe him. So they changed his motivations and gave him a whole new purpose, even a new character to fight [Carnage].

quote:
Again I think it was more of him being rushed into the series and then everyone wanting to put their own "stamp" on the character when he became popular.

Addressed this above.

quote:
Because it took him out at night so he was exhausted in the morning that and he didn't like the idea of being permanently stuck to another creature.

Oh god, was that it? Man, it's been that long since I read it. How lame. No wonder they changed it for the cartoons and the movie.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 04:01 AM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

It's ok, mate, you don't have to put yourself to any trouble. I've read all of Venom's stories thru the years. I know what you're talking about.

Thanks man.

Originally posted by Doc Ock His humour, while amusing, isn't anything deep. As for his insanity, well that's the fallback reason isn't it for his silly reasons for hating Spider-Man. "Oh he's crazy. It doesn't have to make sense". Well, when it comes to personal feuds between hero and villain, their basis for the feud most certainly has to make sense. It being based on nothing but a delusional mind makes for a weak feud.

It's probably why they never took the Venom/Spidey feud anywhere interesting.

They could have revamped the origin, or at least if he was going to lose his job, make Spidey have a direct link to it like in Spider-Man 3. As horrible as the movie was, they got that part right.

When Venom was hating on Spidey in that movie, I could believe his hatred for what Peter did to him.

No, they changed the origin because the stalking Spidey routine got stale. But the character was popular, and they didn't want to axe him. So they changed his motivations and gave him a whole new purpose, even a new character to fight [Carnage].

Reading this now I can understand and see what you're saying, I'm still a fan of the character and I still like him obviously, however I'll be honest in saying you opened up my views on him; I can see why people don't like him.

Oh god, was that it? Man, it's been that long since I read it. How lame. No wonder they changed it for the cartoons and the movie.

I think overall the 90's TAS handled Venom's origins better.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 04:10 AM
harri
I may be a geek

Originally posted by werehawk
No worries about the comment, I already hate you!
are u kidding mate???

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 12:02 PM
harri is currently offline Click here to Send harri a Private Message Find more posts by harri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
werehawk

are u kidding mate???

Yep.
Sometimes I'm too sarcastic. I don't know you and agree with most of the things you've said.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 07:54 PM
werehawk is currently offline Click here to Send werehawk a Private Message Find more posts by werehawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
werehawk

Yep.
Sometimes I'm too sarcastic. I don't know you and agree with most of the things you've said.

Plus look what it says under my name. Sometimes the desciption fits.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 08:41 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Member?

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 08:44 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
werehawk

Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Member?

Dammit. No one gets my jokes. Yes, I am calling myself a dick (sometimes).

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 09:52 PM
harri
I may be a geek

Yep.
laughing out loud no worries mate, i think your extremely good at forums and stuff.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 10:12 PM
harri is currently offline Click here to Send harri a Private Message Find more posts by harri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpyCspider

http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/Dark...ftheSpider.html

really good dissection into Venom as a character and why he started off well but ultimately crashed.

Very similar to a lot of your opinions.

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 12:08 AM
SpyCspider is currently offline Click here to Send SpyCspider a Private Message Find more posts by SpyCspider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Keehar

Originally posted by SpyCspider
http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/Dark...ftheSpider.html

really good dissection into Venom as a character and why he started off well but ultimately crashed.

Very similar to a lot of your opinions.

Great website that. And the article made alot of good points.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 08:23 PM
Keehar is currently offline Click here to Send Keehar a Private Message Find more posts by Keehar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote