KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games 'Versus' Forum » Games 'Respect' Forum » Respect Link, the Hero of Hyrule

Respect Link, the Hero of Hyrule
Started by: First_Tsurugi06

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

I cannot respect TP Link, I'm sorry.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Mar 12th, 2009 03:43 PM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

You said that twice before here. We get your point, so don't make a chain of it or you'll just be wasting more space than you already have by mentioning disrespect in a respect thread. That said, whatever qualms you have don't change the fact that Link in TP is still the most expressive, personable, and character/plot-involved Link the series has had yet, and has still done more than other Links with less. As far as plot is concerned, he's the first Link that can actually be called a character and not an avatar.

Last edited by BloodRawEngine on Mar 12th, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Old Post Mar 12th, 2009 10:03 PM
BloodRawEngine is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRawEngine a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRawEngine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sketch_turner
"Well done Turner"!

Link saved my childhood after Ocarina of Time.

Attachment: link.jpg
This has been downloaded 181 time(s).

Sketch thanks Messahi for the sig.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2009 10:10 PM
sketch_turner is currently offline Click here to Send sketch_turner a Private Message Find more posts by sketch_turner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

quote: (post)
Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
You said that twice before here. We get your point, so don't make a chain of it or you'll just be wasting more space than you already have by mentioning disrespect in a respect thread. That said, whatever qualms you have don't change the fact that Link in TP is still the most expressive, personable, and character/plot-involved Link the series has had yet, and has still done more than other Links with less. As far as plot is concerned, he's the first Link that can actually be called a character and not an avatar.

Eh, WW Link and Oot/MM Link were both given some decent depth, they count too =P

The moon and stars aren't just shades of lead

But you wouldn't know as you rest your head.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 12:08 AM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06

Ridiculous, he might have the most reactions, but he is defiantly not the most expressive.

"The wait is over."

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 01:52 AM
Nactous is currently offline Click here to Send Nactous a Private Message Find more posts by Nactous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

quote:
Eh, WW Link and Oot/MM Link were both given some decent depth, they count too =P

To a point, yes. MM is where it really began in my opinion, and only grew with each subsequent 3D Zelda, which is good in my opinon.

quote:
Ridiculous, he might have the most reactions, but he is defiantly not the most expressive.

I'm sorry but that is just completely groundless blasphemy. He's the ONLY one to have EVER had enough expressiveness in spite of his lack of dialogue to actually justify him as a character as evolved from the "link between the player and the game" as he is in comparison to every Link before him, which is by a huge margin frankly. That's not including the fact that he also had the most established history with the most characters from the start. With TP Link, we had a character who was actually personable. With everyone before him, we had a character that had to be fillied in mostly on the player's own accord.

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 02:38 AM
BloodRawEngine is currently offline Click here to Send BloodRawEngine a Private Message Find more posts by BloodRawEngine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nactous
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's it, I'm bringing Jlrtenjac in here!!

"The wait is over."

Old Post Mar 13th, 2009 05:49 AM
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

BECUZ IT'S RELATED.

Originally posted by ScreamPaste
Alright, evidence of the sword's rediculous PIS abilities.

The sword's earliest confirmed appearance is in aLttP. Guess what, Ganon has the *entire* triforce to himself in this title. The sword here uses art VERY similiar to the magic sword in Zelda II's info booklet which came with the game cart, suggesting the art atleast, if not the idea, of the sword had been around for some time.

In it's earliest incarnation the Master sword could could destroy and repel evil, including reflecting back magical attacks from Ganon and Aghanim, as well as cut through magical barriers and the like. It had not yet become the fully formed PIS device it was to become, but the basic building blocks were already there. Firstly, because Link does not have a piece of the triforce, and the sword is hailed all through the game in various quotes as the only thing that can save Hyrule.

and it did, in a maddeningly PIS piece of PIS, Link won, but what explains this? How did Link overcome a fully powered up Ganon with the entire triforce? With the mastersword! And so it began..

The next time we see this magical plot blasting blade we've made the jump to OoT and some.. wierd thigns happen. One of the first events in the game as we're introduced to Gerudo form Ganondorf, who was in a nightmare Link had, is that he, with no piece of the triforce, cast a death curse on the Deku tree, a powerful gaurdian of the forest and "entrance to our world". [suggesting that the kokiri forest is a magical place indeed.] Now, Link quickly becomes a pain worthy of Ganon's note, collecting the stones Ganon wanted for himsef, but Ganon allows this to go on, findign a way to turn it to his advantage. If Link opens the door to the scared realm for him, why bother working himself? /mistake. He threw away his victory by easily prepubescent kill rigth there. THAT is the PIS that lost him every Zelda game ever as OoT is the first in the series that Ganon is in. [chronologicly]. Link goes on to get the master sword and the triforce is trisected.

Now Link comes back, and Ganon wants Link's piece of the triforce. At the end of the Forest Temple, Ganon banishes the boss to the gap between dimensions without even being on screen! hax. Link stands a few feet away like "lul,sucker" <--Why not him too?

Hell, why not a death curse?

LATER: Link has freed the sages and Zelda has revealed herself in the temple of time, giving Link the ligth arrows.. Then Ganon is like "*****, I'm not even on screen, but gimmeh your triangle" and traps Zelda in a magic diamond shaped pink bubble. Why not Link? He'd have them both! Full triforce, instant win. Cause Link's holding the damnable sword, imo. It was the only thing that could, Zelda had a piece of the triforce, lotta good that did her, and just like in aLttP, Link's plot device sword keeps him from gettign totally owned by Ganon.

Then, it gets better, Link runs into Ganon's castle, fights his way to the top of the centre tower, and faces Ganon.. who immediately tries to TK Link. He uses "dark magic" to blast Link, but Link simply braces himself, and is fine, nothing happens. Navi however, can't stand it, she's driven away... Why not Link? Why can he stand up to it? Master sword in his hand, he goes to work.

Here, the mastersword does what it did in aLttP, it reflects Ganon's magical attacks with a touch, and proves to be capable of actually harming the evil King[who plays a mean organ, I might add.]. Post fight, Ganon coughs up blood and admits he lost. [in my version it's red, not green, v1.0 gold cart ftw] then he starts yelling and TK'S THE CASTLE DOWN ONTOP OF HIMSELF. Waitwut? Why not just TK Link? Wierd. Hell, that death cuirse shit he used on the deku tree might have been cool, too.

Anyone else see what I see?

In TP, the sword reappears in it's most recent incarnation, except now we're granted a glimpse of what can happen if Link does not have the sword.. o: And it's not fair.

Zant, with only a fraction of Ganon's power TK's Link and effortlessly defeats him, Midna, and a light spirit without even moving. Then transforms Link into a wolf, permanently. Or something..

Link is forced to seek out the mastersword, which breaks the curse on Link before he even touches it. [read, aura! Link doesn't even need to touch it.]

(please log in to view the image)

when Link reaches the end of the game, and fights Ganon.. why doesn't he do this? It's PIS, but the PIS obviously has a swource. (badpunisbad.)

Old Post Mar 15th, 2009 03:52 AM
ScreamPaste is currently offline Click here to Send ScreamPaste a Private Message Find more posts by ScreamPaste Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

I have more n00z. Because the old numbers for the pillar Link threw mathed it as a cylinder rather than as a prism, I remathed it, VERY thoroughly.

My official number I'm sticking with according to an intensive reworking of the numbers for the pillar thrown in OoT is 1384.994 tons, if Link is six feet all. This was worked out to the pixel. no expression This would be the closest bet to how much the stone actually weighed.... But for purposes of being conservative and low-balling, I mathed it thrice.

For the realistic number, I measured the stone to the PIXEL in a screenshot using Link as a measuring tool, and assumed he's 6' tall. The pillar came out 18.9 [19 for simplicity's sake.] feet in diameter from opposite corners, and because I couldn't get the entire stone in the picture, I undercut the height and made it 60 feet [down rounded to the nearest tenth. Once I had the volume, I mathed it as black granite.

My official "this is the lightest it can be so this is the number I use" weight for the stone is; 1160.858 tons. This is the same formula using a MUCH smaller number for the material variable, I knocked 35 lbs ish off of every cubic foot of the stone.

My official "Fine. I'll go lower, and cut the ends off... -.- Whiner." number is; 1044.772 tons. I cut off three feet from each end, and mathed with the smaller number for this one. If someone still will not accept this number, they're probably not worth debating with because by this point I've handed them 340 tons off of the realistic number.

My "OMG I'm a fanboy!! =D" number is; 1500. Because I like big round numbers. I'll probably never use this one.

Furthermore, I can end the whip argument earlier with a video, you CAN redirect and crack an already extended whip any direction you want, so the Majora fight is an EXCELLENT feat for reaction time.

1:16

If a human can do it, by extension a superhuman majora with forty foot prehensile super whips can freakin' do it, and better. D:<!

Thus Link's reflexes are established, and his strength numbers are more polished than before.

Last edited by ScreamPaste on May 29th, 2009 at 02:29 AM

Old Post May 29th, 2009 02:22 AM
NemeBro

When you look at that, do you actually think the whip itself is going faster than sound?

And Majora's "whips" are more like big friggin ropes.

Old Post May 29th, 2009 02:28 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Every crack is a sonic boom, so.. yep.

Obviously it's not between cracks, but each time he cracks it the tip accelerates beyond the sound barrier.

Last edited by ScreamPaste on May 29th, 2009 at 02:56 AM

Old Post May 29th, 2009 02:53 AM
NemeBro

the tip accelerates beyond the sound barrier.
The tip.

You dodge the whole motion of the whip, you dodge the tip.

Simple.

Old Post May 29th, 2009 03:07 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

1. Easier said than done.

2. The tip of a forty foot whip is relatively large.

Old Post May 29th, 2009 04:03 AM
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

Originally posted by Nactous
That's it, I'm bringing Jlrtenjac in here!!

Yeah...I'll take that as your concession.

Old Post May 29th, 2009 11:15 AM
NemeBro

1. Easier said than done.

2. The tip of a forty foot whip is relatively large.
1. Not really considering how slowly a forty foot, thick rope is swung.

2. "Relatively" being the key-word. Stay out of range, or avoid the whole rope altogether, and you avoid the tip.

Old Post May 29th, 2009 07:32 PM
ScreamPaste
Carpe Noctem

Not really, a whip can be cracked at any timr, and Link could not get out of range, and it's not a rope. As soon as the whip is cracked, the tip breaks the sound barrier, this is the attack, not the extension. no expression This is what proves Link's reflexes, as evidenced by the video above, you can't dodge-preemptively if you're still in range.

The current world record for most whip cracks in a single minute is 420.

Old Post May 29th, 2009 09:53 PM
LLLLLink
The Juror of Courage

Top of the list, bitches. Mad respect for Link.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 05:34 PM
LLLLLink is currently offline Click here to Send LLLLLink a Private Message Find more posts by LLLLLink Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Just to be a dick, to which Link is this thread referring to?

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2009 07:27 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BloodRawEngine
Video Game Engine of War

...That's not funny no expression sad

Old Post Nov 4th, 2009 03:34 AM
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

The funnier answer would have been, "the green, left-handed one".

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Nov 9th, 2009 05:38 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote