KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » UFC vs Boxing

What is the better fighting sport?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
UFC 32 65.31%
Boxing 17 34.69%
Total: 49 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

UFC vs Boxing
Started by: Wil Deidara

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindset
Great compared to what?

I didn't see anything amazing.

Compared to the typical lousy/clumsy boxing you seen in UFC. You know, the half-assed jabs that are pulled short, the slow and telegraphed hooks and the general arm-flailing that passes for "boxing" in MMA.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 1st, 2012 11:46 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
iheartchael
Restricted

Account Restricted

MMA with ease. Both as a fighting discipline, and as entertainment.

Even when it comes to just striking, MMA is better than boxing. Why? The gloves. Boxing gloves do not accurately reflect the precise distancing you need to throw a punch and connect. The distance and angle at throwing a real punch is much different to doing it with the gloves, plus the connection is completely different with the fist and the glove in comparison. Plus, when it comes to protecting the face, the way you can shield your face with gloves in boxing, it doesn't work in real fighting, no gloves or the smaller MMA variety doen;t provide enoguh space to do it and your hands will easily nbe able to break through the defence.

Asdie from the gloves there is a simply fact that the boxing stance and movements do not work against people who can use grappling as well. The stance and the weaving and bobbign were designed with purely fists in mind. But use those same movements and stance against an MMA fightwr, and you become incredibly vulnerable to grappling and kicks and elbows etc. This is why boxing has to be adapted into "MMA Boxing" in MMA that Junior Dos Santos uses very well, and that is using boxing with a far lower, open hand stance, and compeltely changing your movement and footwork.

Plus if we are talking about Zuffa, the octagon/hexagons are much better than the rings, as it allows more space to move, but also allows a fighter to push the opponent into the cage, restricting movement, whereas with boxing it is always very restriected. so the ring doesn;t very well reflect fighting in huge open spaces for example, whereas the octagon and hexagon are much better at it.

Now as entertainments, MMA (zuffa specifically) is also much better. Better personalities in the fighters. Better commentators. Better camerawork, in a boxing match the camera angles are not very well done and aren;t as focused or clear whereas with zuffa you really feel like you are in the fight. Boxing is also a lot more one dimensional and the movements and streieks and defences etc are all mostly the same, mma is much more dynamic. The gloves are not as aesthetically pleasing in boxing, it almost resemlbes hitting each other with battons in gladiators more so than fists. And of coruse, the longer rounds in mma is better, allows htem to be more veentful and meaningful.

MMA > Boxing.

WAR MMA!!
WAR ZUFFA!!
WAR CHAEL!!

Old Post Sep 20th, 2012 07:27 PM
iheartchael is currently offline Click here to Send iheartchael a Private Message Find more posts by iheartchael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

I read the first paragraph and assumed the rest was just as wrong.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Sep 20th, 2012 08:58 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
iheartchael
Restricted

Account Restricted

In what way is it wrong bro?

Old Post Sep 20th, 2012 09:11 PM
iheartchael is currently offline Click here to Send iheartchael a Private Message Find more posts by iheartchael Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

The fact that you think an 8oz boxing glove changes the distancing in any significant way. There is maybe an inch difference between just your fist, and wearing a glove, there is even less of a difference between wearing an mma glove and a boxing glove. The connection is the same whether you're wearing a glove or not, you aim to connect with the first two knuckles, I'll also assume you're unaware of the various types of bag gloves used in training; some that have minimal padding and others that are basically just a thin leather glove you put over handwraps. The closet to being accurate was your part on defense, but again, 8oz gloves leave plenty of room to be hit. Give a pro boxer and an mma fighter the same gloves and limit them to only boxing, and the boxer wins 9/10, whether you use mma gloves or boxing.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2012 09:28 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
iheartchael
Restricted

Account Restricted

Here is picture of a fist:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...SA4j6sga0zIDYBg

and of a boxing gloves:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...aNObC0QXruYDYBw

You do the math bro.

There is a ton of padding all around the hand that changes both the distancing of the pu ch and the shape of the hand as it connects.

You seem to think that this is two caevmans wildly throwing punches at eachother, and not an exact, precice science whee even these tiny differences in distancing and shape completely alter the effectiveness of the strikes. Boxers train all their lives to compete with these gloves that unrelastically emulate the world of real life fighting.

And no, it makes it very hard to het through the defences of the boxers gloves when they are just covering up, it is somethig that doesnt work with the smaller gloves, and seeing how often it is used in boxing it shows just how unrealistic and ineffective a lot o boxing is in real world context.

And of course you have yet to address my other points. Address the point about a stance that is tailor made to be effective solely when up against strikers would be useful when you add kicks, knees, elbows, and grappling into the mix, please.

Boxing is a sport, nothing more, nothing less. It does not effectively emulate the factors of real world fightning, not even close.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2012 09:40 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Chael loverboy doesn't know a thing.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2012 09:41 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
iheartchael
Restricted

Account Restricted

I actually have trained in boxing and went 17-0 in my amateur career for the record... I also train in BJJ (teach it part time with the Gracie Academy), JJ, Shotokan Karate, wrestling and recently Muay Thai, so I think I'm in a better position to compare the different styles, thank you.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2012 09:45 PM
Mindset

Stopped reading when you posted pictures of toy boxing gloves.

You didn't train in boxing.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2012 10:05 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by iheartchael
I actually have trained in boxing and went 17-0 in my amateur career for the record... I also train in BJJ (teach it part time with the Gracie Academy), JJ, Shotokan Karate, wrestling and recently Muay Thai, so I think I'm in a better position to compare the different styles, thank you.

I've trained in every known form of martial art and three unknown forms. But that is irrelevant as is your claim, considering your nonsense claims about boxing gloves being some huge gimp to the fighter.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2012 10:08 PM
Mindset

But look at the gloves, Rob!

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 20th, 2012 10:13 PM
NemeBro

Boxing gloves aren't for protecting your opponent's face from your fist.

They're there for protecting your fist from your opponent's face.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2012 08:01 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WARChaelSonnen!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nemebro you may be pleased to know that I hvade decided to give Skyrim another chance and am enjoying it more this time.

"Chael Sonnen is the best trash-talker in all of sports." -- Jim Rome

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2012 11:53 PM
WARChaelSonnen! is currently offline Click here to Send WARChaelSonnen! a Private Message Find more posts by WARChaelSonnen! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

My e-penis is so strong it can make people enjoy videogames, you heard him.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2012 12:01 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WARChaelSonnen!
Restricted

Account Restricted

laughing out loud

I still maintain that it is a little overrated but I think the trick to liking it if you werent originally a fan of the other games or genre is to make sure you play it with the right attitude.

First time I played it I wanted to explore every single area compeltely, pick up every piece of loot, read every book that I find, talk to eveyr person i come across etc (which is basically impossible and really slows the pace of the game) and I ended up egtting bored, and then started using cheats to make myself invincible and started going on rampages and killing everybody and quickly got bored...

Now I just follow the main quest. I only plan on doing any excess exploration beyond main plotline if I pass something that looks really cool, or at the end of the game when im done with the main story and there are still areas i havennt visited.

I also plan on reading every book but pacing through it steadily instead of all at once, now I will simply pick them up when I pass them and go through them when i have time in between quests. I only talk to story characters oir people involved in quests, or people I overhear talking. I only pick up money, books, healing items, better gear that i come across, extremely expensive items, or random useufl items like lockpicks now (oi used ot pick up stuffd like bowls and spoons every time I passed them just because they were theyre and I could sell them, and used unlimited carry weight cheat so I could literally pick up everything).

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2012 12:22 AM
WARChaelSonnen! is currently offline Click here to Send WARChaelSonnen! a Private Message Find more posts by WARChaelSonnen! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Originally posted by iheartchael
MMA with ease. Both as a fighting discipline, and as entertainment.

Even when it comes to just striking, MMA is better than boxing. Why? The gloves. Boxing gloves do not accurately reflect the precise distancing you need to throw a punch and connect. The distance and angle at throwing a real punch is much different to doing it with the gloves, plus the connection is completely different with the fist and the glove in comparison. Plus, when it comes to protecting the face, the way you can shield your face with gloves in boxing, it doesn't work in real fighting, no gloves or the smaller MMA variety doen;t provide enoguh space to do it and your hands will easily nbe able to break through the defence.

Asdie from the gloves there is a simply fact that the boxing stance and movements do not work against people who can use grappling as well. The stance and the weaving and bobbign were designed with purely fists in mind. But use those same movements and stance against an MMA fightwr, and you become incredibly vulnerable to grappling and kicks and elbows etc. This is why boxing has to be adapted into "MMA Boxing" in MMA that Junior Dos Santos uses very well, and that is using boxing with a far lower, open hand stance, and compeltely changing your movement and footwork.

Plus if we are talking about Zuffa, the octagon/hexagons are much better than the rings, as it allows more space to move, but also allows a fighter to push the opponent into the cage, restricting movement, whereas with boxing it is always very restriected. so the ring doesn;t very well reflect fighting in huge open spaces for example, whereas the octagon and hexagon are much better at it.

Now as entertainments, MMA (zuffa specifically) is also much better. Better personalities in the fighters. Better commentators. Better camerawork, in a boxing match the camera angles are not very well done and aren;t as focused or clear whereas with zuffa you really feel like you are in the fight. Boxing is also a lot more one dimensional and the movements and streieks and defences etc are all mostly the same, mma is much more dynamic. The gloves are not as aesthetically pleasing in boxing, it almost resemlbes hitting each other with battons in gladiators more so than fists. And of coruse, the longer rounds in mma is better, allows htem to be more veentful and meaningful.

MMA > Boxing.

WAR MMA!!
WAR ZUFFA!!
WAR CHAEL!!

Despite some of the obvious inaccuracies, there are actually valid points here. The different gloves and rulesets affect defensive strategies(slipping, peek a boo defense, etc) and stances much more than they affect offensive distancing though.
Originally posted by Mindset
Give a pro boxer and an mma fighter the same gloves and limit them to only boxing, and the boxer wins 9/10, whether you use mma gloves or boxing.

Pretty much.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2012 12:49 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WARChaelSonnen!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Probably. But give both MMA gloves, and make it a kickboxing match, and the MMA guy wins imo. Difference in glove is one thing, but adding kicks, knees and elbows would render most boxing stanes and movements useless.

Make it a full mma match, and the mma fighter would probably be able to win easily just by striking and without going for the takedown as well, simply with the fear of the td on his side. You see it all the time with grapplers outstriking the strikers.

Also, imo, if Anderson Silva ever competed in boxing I reckon he could be up their with the likes of Mayweather, Pacqiao and Klitchko. His head movement, hand feints/misdirection, reflexes, timing, acuracy, power, chin and durability are truly elite, in mma or boxing or anywhere.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2012 01:00 AM
StyleTime

I was including kicks/knees/etc when I said "ruleset." I agree with that btw. Even Freddie Roach said he doesn't emphasize techniques like slipping when he trains MMA people. The threat of knees makes that much riskier than in boxing. It's still possible of course, just not as safe.

Silva would need to completely dedicate his training to boxing for a while to do that. I've seen him in a boxing only sparring session with a boxer, and he didn't look nearly as dominant as he does in MMA. I don't think he could just show up to boxing and start smashing the top guys.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 23rd, 2012 at 01:21 AM

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2012 01:10 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WARChaelSonnen!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Possibly. Still I think he has the talent that he could have excelled and been dominant and become the best in either depending on what he put his focus towards. He has a pretty good reach for his weight and uses it well, insane precision accuracy, matrix like reflexes and timing and head movement, and he throws those faints and hand taunts/misdirection like a true pro, he's got pretty awesome footwork, pretty fast hands, and as if that wasn't a good enough skillset he has legitimate knockout power, an incredibly chin and is virtually impossible to cut or bruise or bleed in any way. If he had focuses solely on boxing instead, got used to the gloves and the difference stances and movements, worked more on the full arsenal of punches and punching combinations, and I think he would have been able to move up to HW and dominate the division, and be comparable to the likes of Tyson and Ali, though that's just my opinion. I'm not even that big an Anderson fan btw, gut cheated his way into winning his rematch with Chael and doesn;t even deserve to eb champion right now imo.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2012 01:27 AM
StyleTime

Well, that goes into what I said. stick out tongue If Anderson could train exclusively, he'd probably be a force. I just don't think he'd just show up and start bashing like.....the Klitschkos or Marco Huck or something.

Also, LMAO @ the last part. Anderson didn't cheat. Maybe Chael will learn how to strike someday....probably not though.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 26th, 2012 at 01:58 AM

Old Post Sep 26th, 2012 01:55 AM