KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » UFC vs Boxing

What is the better fighting sport?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
UFC 32 65.31%
Boxing 17 34.69%
Total: 49 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

UFC vs Boxing
Started by: Wil Deidara

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (14): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mindset

quote: (post)
Originally posted by batdude123
Let's be honest, the only people making money in boxing are those at the top. Nobody makes Mayweather/Pacquiao money except for those two. Everybody else is getting paid peanuts in comparison.
The top earners in the UFC are getting paid peanuts in comparison.

Most athletes are getting paid peanuts in comparison.

There is still more money to be had in boxing, basketball, football, etc. than mma.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post May 8th, 2012 09:51 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Originally posted by Mindset
The top earners in the UFC are getting paid peanuts in comparison.

Most athletes are getting paid peanuts in comparison.

There is still more money to be had in boxing, basketball, football, etc. than mma.

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Lets be honest if anyone in MMA had good enough hands to be competitive in Boxing, then they'd be Boxing. The Boxing money is so much better, it's easier and less physically demanding, there is no reason to be in the UFC if you can Box.

Translation: Anybody with good hands should box. Chris Lytle was 13-1-1 as a professional boxer, and didn't make shit. The point is, nobody in boxing is getting Mayweather money. There are more people in the UFC on average who can make a comfortable living doing MMA without having to be GSP or Anderson Silva.

Old Post May 8th, 2012 10:01 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Let's be honest, the only people making money in boxing are those at the top. Nobody makes Mayweather/Pacquiao money except for those two. Everybody else is getting paid peanuts in comparison.

I'm pretty sure that if you are a middle of the road boxer competing in a professional promotion you are making more than a middle of the road fighter in the UFC. GSP was the top earner in the UFC and he isn't getting anywhere close to Mayweather or Pacquiao money.

I don't know if boxing has knockout of the night, submission on the night or fight of the night bonus though, because those are 50k a pop.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post May 8th, 2012 10:04 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Translation: Anybody with good hands should box. Chris Lytle was 13-1-1 as a professional boxer, and didn't make shit. The point is, nobody in boxing is getting Mayweather money. There are more people in the UFC on average who can make a comfortable living doing MMA without having to be GSP or Anderson Silva.

It's not like he was boxing in the WBC or WBO, you are comparing a state boxing promotion to the premiere MMA organization in the world. The fact that he wasn't good enough to make it to one of the major league boxing organizations but had sucess as a gate keeper in the office kinda proves my point.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post May 8th, 2012 10:10 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

White himself puts it in perspective. Top MMA fighters can't compete with top boxers in terms of earning, but the mid and lowers tiers can be comparable. Give it time though.

http://www.mmatko.com/dana-white-ta...s-boxing-money/

Nick Diaz made $600k in 2011.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on May 8th, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Old Post May 8th, 2012 10:20 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

I'm pretty sure that if you are a middle of the road boxer competing in a professional promotion you are making more than a middle of the road fighter in the UFC. GSP was the top earner in the UFC and he isn't getting anywhere close to Mayweather or Pacquiao money.

I don't know if boxing has knockout of the night, submission on the night or fight of the night bonus though, because those are 50k a pop.

I'm not sure I agree with that. And in any case, that's the problem with boxing nowadays. Promoters are ruining the sport. They're taking the majority of their fighters' purses, and setting up young, athletic prospects who are 20-0 up against old, busted up bums who are 12-15. And in the UFC, you have the potential to make money faster without having to go 30-0 in shit holes in order to see any monetary gain.

Yeah, boxing doesn't have those bonuses. And those bonuses are at least 50k, sometimes higher.

Old Post May 8th, 2012 10:25 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

It's not like he was boxing in the WBC or WBO, you are comparing a state boxing promotion to the premiere MMA organization in the world. The fact that he wasn't good enough to make it to one of the major league boxing organizations but had sucess as a gate keeper in the office kinda proves my point.

He had success in the UFC as a gate keeper because he's also a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. no expression Come on, now.

Old Post May 8th, 2012 10:26 PM
Mindset

Lytle sucked.

There are people who aren't Mayweather who make good money in boxing.

Old Post May 8th, 2012 10:39 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Lytle sucked.

There are people who aren't Mayweather who make good money in boxing.

You suck.

Didn't say there weren't.

Old Post May 8th, 2012 10:41 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

He had success in the UFC as a gate keeper because he's also a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. no expression Come on, now.

Obviously. confused

Old Post May 8th, 2012 10:47 PM
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Obviously. confused

I'm just saying, there are very few people in the world who can say they were pro boxers and are also black belts in BJJ.

Old Post May 8th, 2012 10:51 PM
Phoenix2001

I don't think either sport is really better than the other. It's whatever gets your rocks off the most. But, it's a no-brainer as to which sport has the most combat effectiveness.

Old Post May 9th, 2012 02:48 AM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I agree.

Old Post May 9th, 2012 03:29 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

I'm just saying, there are very few people in the world who can say they were pro boxers and are also black belts in BJJ.
Very few try.

I'm sure there are many UFC fighters with BB who could go pro in boxing, not that they'd be any good.

Old Post May 10th, 2012 12:54 AM
Mindset

Originally posted by Phoenix2001
I don't think either sport is really better than the other. It's whatever gets your rocks off the most. But, it's a no-brainer as to which sport has the most combat effectiveness.
Yup.

Boxing.

Old Post May 10th, 2012 12:55 AM
StyleTime

(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by StyleTime on May 10th, 2012 at 01:14 AM

Old Post May 10th, 2012 01:05 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Very few try.

I'm sure there are many UFC fighters with BB who could go pro in boxing, not that they'd be any good.

Very few try because it's extremely difficult and requires a ridiculous amount of discipline.

I don't see what your point here is. No top level boxers are going to be MMA champs either.

Old Post May 10th, 2012 01:20 AM
Mindset

I'm saying that being a sucky pro boxer isn't much of an accomplishment.

What does your last sentence have to do with anything?

Old Post May 10th, 2012 01:43 AM
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

I'm saying that being a sucky pro boxer isn't much of an accomplishment.

What does your last sentence have to do with anything?

That's not being a sucky pro boxer when you're 13-1-1.

It's pretty self explanatory. You were acting like anybody could be a black belt in BJJ and box professionally. That's not the case. All of your implied reverence of the skill level of championship boxers takes away from the fact that championship mixed martial artists are better fighters.

Old Post May 10th, 2012 03:47 AM
Mindset

Last time I checked you didn't need a 13-1-1 record to be a pro boxer. There are many bjj bb who fight in mma who could go pro.

It may be self-explanatory, but it's from out of left field since it's irrelevant to what we were talking about. Becoming a pro boxer isn't hard, Kimbo Slice did it. Becoming a good pro boxer is hard. I never referenced championship boxers or championship mixed martial artist. I think you're high.

Last edited by Mindset on May 10th, 2012 at 04:22 AM

Old Post May 10th, 2012 04:20 AM