KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » What Spidey villains are eye candy?

Which Spiderman villains are 'eye candy'?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Green Goblin only 0 0%
Doc Ock only 1 9.09%
Venom only 4 36.36%
Green Goblin and Doc Ock 2 18.18%
Green Goblin and Venom 0 0%
Doc Ock and Venom 1 9.09%
Green Goblin, Doc Ock, and Venom are all eye candy 3 27.27%
Total: 11 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

What Spidey villains are eye candy?
Started by: werehawk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Because Venom is such an aesthetically pleasing character that he's more popular. If you ask an eight year old who his favorite Spiderman character is he'll probably say Venom or Carnage. If you ask them the difference between the motifs and damages made by the Symbiotes and say, Green Goblin, they won't understand. Venom is the Halo 3 of Spiderman villains. Nice to look at and easy to understand.

Because of that he's popular, and because he's popular he's put into more mdeia, for example, Marvel vs. Capcom (Spidey for the hero, Venom for the villain). Because he's in more media he's more recognizble and the more eight year olds see him and he becomes more popular...

You're right, Venom's probably the most popular of Spidey's villains in comic fan gorups. But if you ask them why, at least 90% will say "Because he's cool". You ask them to extrapolate. they'll say that he's "Like Spiderman but a black guy".

Very few people like Venom because of what he is underneath or represents. Most fans aren't as intelligent as Darkhalen.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 05:11 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
harri
I may be a geek

Originally posted by Toku King
Nope.
ummm yes, venom is alot more popular than green goblin and dock ock. Even the most die hard green goblin fan like yourself must see this, looks, what he's done to spidey, stalking spidey.... whatever, venom is incredibly popular.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 10:00 AM
harri is currently offline Click here to Send harri a Private Message Find more posts by harri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
harri
I may be a geek

Originally posted by Toku King
Because the creators are Marvel workers, and Marvel has become very biased towards Venom lately.
if you mean comics??? nope. Have u read dark reign or seen it??? Norman Osborn is virtually in charge of the universe, or at least the world. And Venom or mac gargan is his right hand man, how are marvel being biased???marvel is being biased towards Osborn really.
But i will possibly agree with you on the games front, they are making a lot of games with venom in it, but why??? because venom is very very popular.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 10:05 AM
harri is currently offline Click here to Send harri a Private Message Find more posts by harri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
werehawk

[/QUOTE] Because Venom is such an aesthetically pleasing character that he's more popular. If you ask an eight year old who his favorite Spiderman character is he'll probably say Venom or Carnage.[/QUOTE]

So we all have our personal opinions on who Spiderman’s best villains are. Here is what some Google searching turned up as far as fan lists and one from Wizard:

Venom beats Goblin on these all-comics list, but both are there showing the strength of Spiderman’s rogues gallery:
http://www.toptenz.net/top-ten-comic-book-villains.php
http://comicbooks.about.com/od/char...tenvillains.htm

On to some Spiderman villain lists:

I couldn't find an 8-year old's list Blaxican, but here is a 13 year-old. Looks like you were wrong. Ock and Goblin beat Venom (and Carnage) in this one but Carnage does beat out Venom and I think we all agree Carnage is weak character so you are partially right.
http://www.spiderfan.org/fans/topten/2003/0901.html

Here Venom beats out Goblin and Doc Ock
http://blogzarro.com/2007/05/20-gre...r-man-villains/

This last one is a Wizard list with Goblin beating Venom out for #1
http://forums.comicbookresources.co...ead.php?t=52427

What is the take-home message here? Well, Spiderman has some great villains and Goblin and Venom are the two most notable with Doc Ock pulling up third. Personally, I prefer Venom, like Doc Ock, and dislike Green Goblin. Yet, I think that Spiderman’s arch-nemesis is Green Goblin. And the reasons for their status on the lists are given in the links, some of which approve of Venom's story/character while others cite looks and powers.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 04:51 PM
werehawk is currently offline Click here to Send werehawk a Private Message Find more posts by werehawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nothing you just posted disproves anything I've said. no expression

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 08:18 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Keehar

Originally posted by werehawk
What is the take-home message here?

That those lists are EXACTLY what Sam Raimi was talking about. Did you read what they said about Venom? Cool powers, cool look, cool fighting skills. All the eye candy qualities that the kids lap up like.......candy lol.

Then you see someone like Green Goblin ranked down below him, and they have him listed as killing Peter's gf, his baby etc. And an even bigger atrocity, one of them has Venom ranked above DR DOOM!!!!! Can anyone explain the logic of that?

Idiotic lists. Further proof of how overrated Venom is.

Last edited by Keehar on Jan 1st, 2009 at 08:31 PM

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 08:28 PM
Keehar is currently offline Click here to Send Keehar a Private Message Find more posts by Keehar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Keehar

Nothing you just posted disproves anything I've said. no expression

If anything they cement what you said as true.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 08:32 PM
Keehar is currently offline Click here to Send Keehar a Private Message Find more posts by Keehar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
werehawk

Originally posted by werehawk

What is the take-home message here? Well, Spiderman has some great villains and Goblin and Venom are the two most notable with Doc Ock pulling up third. Personally, I prefer Venom, like Doc Ock, and dislike Green Goblin. Yet, I think that Spiderman’s arch-nemesis is Green Goblin. And the reasons for their status on the lists are given in the links, some of which approve of Venom's story/character while others cite looks and powers.
[/QUOTE]

Really, you guys sound like neo-cons defending the Iraq War. And just not listening.

In my polls and these links, I'm not trying to disprove or prove anything but to show that there is a lot of opinion over what makes characters great (basically you can find agreement or disagreement from someone over each and every thing that any of us say) AND that it is traditionally accepted all over comic-dom that Spiderman has a fantastic rogues gallery which includes Green Goblin, Doc Ock AND Venom.

If you get your kicks out of hating a certain villain or being petty over 'popularity' and trying to lay the 'blame' on good looks, that's your prerogative. No one is going to change your mind (just as no one is going to change the mind of pro-Venom (to the exclusion of all others) fans. And that's fine, but I think some of us have tried to be open-minded in these threads (on both sides) and look at the pros and cons of all three big villains and realize that it all boils down to opinions.

But I think I am done now. Happy New Year to all!

Last edited by werehawk on Jan 1st, 2009 at 08:54 PM

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 08:51 PM
werehawk is currently offline Click here to Send werehawk a Private Message Find more posts by werehawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Yeah, you guys need to chillax. Did you actually read who made the lists? It's not a collaborative list. Each one is made by an individual person.

Take some chill pills, put a smile on your faces, and have a happy new year wink

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 09:12 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Really, you guys sound like neo-cons defending the Iraq War. And just not listening.

In my polls and these links, I'm not trying to disprove or prove anything but to show that there is a lot of opinion over what makes characters great (basically you can find agreement or disagreement from someone over each and every thing that any of us say) AND that it is traditionally accepted all over comic-dom that Spiderman has a fantastic rogues gallery which includes Green Goblin, Doc Ock AND Venom.

If you get your kicks out of hating a certain villain or being petty over 'popularity' and trying to lay the 'blame' on good looks, that's your prerogative. No one is going to change your mind (just as no one is going to change the mind of pro-Venom (to the exclusion of all others) fans. And that's fine, but I think some of us have tried to be open-minded in these threads (on both sides) and look at the pros and cons of all three big villains and realize that it all boils down to opinions.

But I think I am done now. Happy New Year to all! [/B]

Wow, you're defensive.

I don't understand how you can have such trouble comprehending what I'm saying. How has any character been "hated on"?

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 09:56 PM
steverules_2

If you only knew the real darkhalen

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 10:11 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote