KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » John McClane VS Martin Riggs

John McClane VS Martin Riggs
Started by: Sado22

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (33): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
steverules_2

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sado22
good point actually.

Thanks smile

Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
I meant in general, all McLaine does is point and spray. Plus dude was like ten feet away, while the sniper Riggs pwned was a good 50 to 60 feet away.

Yeah but it's like you say he's had all this training that MaClane hasn't. The point is MaClane was still able to make 2 good shots and still hit a guy that was holding his wife close to him, there was still a chance that he could hit his wife rather than the guy who was holding her so to hit him rather than his wife I'd say that was pretty good aim, plus he had to do it fast so that he could hit both men and save his wife.

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 10:46 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by steverules_2
Thanks smile

Yeah but it's like you say he's had all this training that MaClane hasn't. The point is MaClane was still able to make 2 good shots and still hit a guy that was holding his wife close to him, there was still a chance that he could hit his wife rather than the guy who was holding her so to hit him rather than his wife I'd say that was pretty good aim, plus he had to do it fast so that he could hit both men and save his wife.
Hitting someone ten feet away with a handgun is easy. Dude on McLaines right was caught off guard, he thought McLaine was unarmed. Holly had stepped out of the line of fire so John had a clean shot at Hans. Riggs could have done that in his sleep.

Funny

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 05:55 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
McClane is no airs and graces form-obsessed fighter, but those powerful straight shots kicks and hooks are generally all he has needed ever.

He has the creative thinking and luck to turn it around too:
Yeah that skinny asian chick was using MA and wound up very nicely "with a truck up her ass" for her troubles too.

Beware a mad Riggs..? Well what McClain's "going berserk"...? Chopped liver...?
Never mess with McClane when he has a bad hangover.

McClains endurance cannot be questioned. He looks like hammered shit at the end of his battles, but so does Riggs.

The 'certified lethal weapon' thing was just a throwaway (after youve named the movie after it) half serious line from Murtaugh and would fall under your 'MMA training' bullet point anyhow.

And how often did Riggs use that sniper's rifle on screen...?
And didnt he get caught whilst doing it during that one time...?

McClane's thing is more to shoot you repeatedly in the balls (through
a table!!!!) and then make the kind of sarcastic comment that you'd wish you were still alive to refute.

F*** being beaten by McClane. Its not the pain... but the fear of being beaten like that AND joked about like that in front of whoever.
'Cause McClane has the best verbal abuse and sense of humour.
He'd humiliate you more whilst you a forced off of your mortal coil.

Oh Riggs is so much better cause he is tough enough to have killed killed war vets...?
Look what McClane'll do to a whole lift of armed killers in DH3.
Look at how many special forces guys he killed in DH2.
Way more than Riggs managed in LW1.
Was Karl in DH1 not a trained killer...?

Riggs used a cop car to break a wall in the front room of the Murtaugh family home at xmas.

McClane uses cars to shoot down helicopters.

Excellent Vs thread, btw. smile

laughing out loud

"shoots repeatedly in balls"

I really don't know how much Riggs' training benefits him here. McClane kills terrorists that have more extensive military training than Riggs all the time.

Riggs did take out jet li, but McClane took out Alan Rickman, Jeremy Irons and that crazy Russian Chick (god she is hot).

I think the next time someone makes this thread it should ask who could survive longer whilst standing naked in the Bronx with a sandwhich board that says I hate Niiggers.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 06:21 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Hitting someone ten feet away with a handgun is easy. Dude on McLaines right was caught off guard, he thought McLaine was unarmed. Holly had stepped out of the line of fire so John had a clean shot at Hans. Riggs could have done that in his sleep.

Funny

McClane always makes those miracle shots though. He does it a couple times in every movie. The most impressive one though comes at the end of Die Hard with a Vengeance. McClane had one bullet left and he shot the wire on the power line which broke away and fvcked up Sir Irons' helicopter. You also have to remember, McClane has no military training what so ever, yet he can do all of these wonderful things.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 06:26 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

The movies never really delve that far back into McLaines history, do they?

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 06:50 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

it's McClane god dammit mad

lol, not that i can remember. For some reason i want to say that he has been in the military but considering how young he was in the first movie i doubt that.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 06:53 AM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ragesRemorse
it's McClane god dammit mad

lol, not that i can remember. For some reason i want to say that he has been in the military but considering how young he was in the first movie i doubt that.

OK it seems that Riggs pwns H2H (To deny this is lunacy.), and that in a gunfight, 5/5 (Even though I believe Riggs owns both 10/10.)

Lets talk toughness. Who, in your opinion, is tougher?

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 07:01 AM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sorry, I just had to post this:

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 07:04 AM
Sado22
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
I really don't know how much Riggs' training benefits him here. McClane kills terrorists that have more extensive military training than Riggs all the time.

more trained than riggs? i doubt it. the people he killed in DH1 were not that fine trained killers. in Dh2 they were cartel terrorists and the one h2h fight he had in that, McClane was getting pwned. in DH3 was the one time he was fighting mercenaries. and in DH4 he was fighting terrorists again.

Riggs is:
-fought in vietnam at the age of 19
-vietnam vet
-sniper training
-demolition expert (though he f0cked up in LW3 cuz it had been too long laughing out loud )
-black ops
-LYPD training

NO ONE that McClane fought had this much training. and people with far less were pwning him hand to hand.

quote:
Lets talk toughness. Who, in your opinion, is tougher?

Riggs. he's taken more abuse over the years. McClane has never even been shot. Riggs had a whole clip emptied on him at the end of 2. he's been stabbed, fell of buildings, gone through car crashes, been dragged across the road for 15 blocks, survived explosions, shot several times, nearly drowned, electrocuted and tortured for hours>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>John having to walk on glass barefoot no expression

~Sado

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 07:35 AM
Sado22 is currently offline Click here to Send Sado22 a Private Message Find more posts by Sado22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Sado22
more trained than riggs? i doubt it. the people he killed in DH1 were not that fine trained killers. in Dh2 they were cartel terrorists and the one h2h fight he had in that, McClane was getting pwned. in DH3 was the one time he was fighting mercenaries. and in DH4 he was fighting terrorists again.

Riggs is:
-fought in vietnam at the age of 19
-vietnam vet
-sniper training
-demolition expert (though he f0cked up in LW3 cuz it had been too long laughing out loud )
-black ops
-LYPD training

NO ONE that McClane fought had this much training. and people with far less were pwning him hand to hand.

Riggs. he's taken more abuse over the years. McClane has never even been shot. Riggs had a whole clip emptied on him at the end of 2. he's been stabbed, fell of buildings, gone through car crashes, been dragged across the road for 15 blocks, survived explosions, shot several times, nearly drowned, electrocuted and tortured for hours>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>John having to walk on glass barefoot no expression

~Sado
McLaine was shot in the arm in DH1, remember?

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 07:41 AM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Riggs fighting Jet Li, LW4. Badass much?

Particularly from 1:10 to 1:48 . Jet Li's character was ten times the fighter that Maggie Q's was, and McLaine couldn't handle her.

How would McLaine fare against Jet Li?

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 07:54 AM
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

^ I like the fight scene in the house better, where Jet Li takes them both out even when they both have guns pointed at him. ^^

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 07:57 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

That wasnt much of a fight scene.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 08:03 AM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

True, other than to say that he was a new york cop of however many years experience he had as a cop, but the excellent but quite different original Walter Wager book's main character was an ex-special forces guy with proper anti terrorist experience. He also was older than Bruce Willis was in DH1.... He was more like his DH4.0 age in it.
Its been nearly 20 years since I read it, but I think McClane was called "Leland" and "McClane" was the name given to the Ellis character.
Holly was his daughter and..............

*Book spoiler below*

The Holly character falls to her death at the end...!

*Ends spoilers*

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Jan 1st, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 10:13 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

McLaine was shot in the arm in DH1, remember?

Not to mention how, in addtion to the fact that Riggs didnt have to do his thing in LW with slashed up feet like McClane did: note often McClane gets smashed into or through things with way more regularity than Riggs, he has the ability to fight off vicious hangovers whilst maiming and killing, we saw him slashed with a broken bottle by angry civvies in DH3 at the beginning, of the movie.
The sheer amount of stuff we see McClane endure as a constant throughout his movies stands up to the more flashy looking stuff Riggs endures on screen.
Even relatively minor injuries like that evil metal splinter in DH3 looked a bit nasty too...

Also I think in a conflict with Riggs, McClane being the kinda guy who uses taunts like: "You shoulda heard your brother squealin'... When I broke his f***ing neck...!!!" would find a way to get under Riggs skin.
Riggs being so troubled could even be flipped into one of his trademark depressions where he could use his 'special bullet' from LW1 to do McClane's work for him..... shifty

I can just see McClane on top of Riggs, punching his head in screaming taunts about how he is gonna beat Riggs around the head with the corpse of his dead wife Victoria. wink

'Cause McClane'll say any lowdown nasty shit in anger, it seems.

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Jan 1st, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 10:35 AM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dude, getting under Riggs skin would worsen the beating McLane receives.

And Riggs took how many .44 rounds from the African guy?

Riggs is just too much for McLane.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 11:09 AM
steverules_2

McLane didn't really have trouble with Maggie Q, she kicked him around a little and punched him, he then beat the shit outta her and then she got lucky by being able to throw him out of a window erm And that didn't even seem to slow him down that much, he just got up, got into a car and then the rest is history. And there's the car into the helicopter scene which was incredible. Ok so holly moved outta the way in DH1 but McLane still made two good shots in a short amount of time.

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 11:32 AM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

And he had the ingenuity to have used that xmas wrapping tape trick too...! The mans a genius. stick out tongue

Well while I been thinking of this, I noticed that Michael Kamen did both scores for the movies and there are common actors/actresses in both movies also.

Would this clash be sold as:

"Die Weapon" (which makes no sense)

or....

the very suspect sounding "Lethal hard"..? stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 12:06 PM
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
True, other than to say that he was a new york cop of however many years experience he had as a cop, but the excellent but quite different original Walter Wager book's main character was an ex-special forces guy with proper anti terrorist experience.

T'was Roderick Thorpe. Not Walter Wager.
Apologies.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 01:14 PM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by steverules_2
McLane didn't really have trouble with Maggie Q, she kicked him around a little and punched him, he then beat the shit outta her and then she got lucky by being able to throw him out of a window erm And that didn't even seem to slow him down that much, he just got up, got into a car and then the rest is history. And there's the car into the helicopter scene which was incredible. Ok so holly moved outta the way in DH1 but McLane still made two good shots in a short amount of time.
Dude, she beat the SHIT outta McLane.

Old Post Jan 1st, 2009 02:23 PM