KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » how fast can superman fly?

how fast can superman fly?
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

I thought he had some sort of Superconductive membrane surrounding his CNS, which attracts and repulses gravity, in the same way a magnet does to metal ? Maybe it effects the "Dark Force" that expanded the universe at the beginning of time ?

IMO, he shouldn't be able to go faster than D.C. light speed due to the counter intuitive things that happen when you reach these Speeds, infinite mass, time travel etc. But whose to say that the D.C. universes light speed isn't ALOT faster than ours. I.e. it doesn't take eight mins for light to reach D.C. earth from the sun, it takes a matter of nano secs ?

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 07:50 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
skygunner41
I'll be back!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
I thought he had some sort of Superconductive membrane surrounding his CNS, which attracts and repulses gravity, in the same way a magnet does to metal ? Maybe it effects the "Dark Force" that expanded the universe at the beginning of time ?

IMO, he shouldn't be able to go faster than D.C. light speed due to the counter intuitive things that happen when you reach these Speeds, infinite mass, time travel etc. But whose to say that the D.C. universes light speed isn't ALOT faster than ours. I.e. it doesn't take eight mins for light to reach D.C. earth from the sun, it takes a matter of nano secs ?

Why he shouldn't go faster than light many marvel heroes already reach light speed regardless of science. ?I believe double standard involved here.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 01:04 AM
skygunner41 is currently offline Click here to Send skygunner41 a Private Message Find more posts by skygunner41 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

what did the writer who wrote the saturn flight feat in under 4 minutes have to say about supes actual flight speed?

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 02:15 AM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by skygunner41
Why he shouldn't go faster than light many marvel heroes already reach light speed regardless of science. ?I believe double standard involved here.

OMG ... y would u think i would even give a crap about that? I don't give **** about some silly little inter corporation competition between the two company's. Im talking about maintaining standards in common sense. A physical being going faster than the speed of ligght without some kind of deus ex machina, is like making a 4 sided triangle ... its just plain retarded.

I don't give a crap about making him less powerful than other characters. I just hate the idea of intuitive, logical rules being ignored. The fact that you are stupid enough to consider that people think like that, makes me incredibly sorry for you and all genetic offspring you may spawn.

I know im getting way over the top angry about this, but this is about the zillionth time, i've had to clarify my position to some one like yourself.

For Gods sakes, comic book characters are not like sports teams. Its not necessary to support them to the point of mental disability. Not everyone cares whether Thor is more powerful than Superman, or whether the hulk can lift more than Wonder Woman?

Stop reading comics for the sake of some wierd meta-literacy competition. It doesn't exist !!! You might as well try counting to Infinity, or capture your shadow.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 02:29 AM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
skygunner41
I'll be back!

OMG ... y would u think i would even give a crap about that? I don't give **** about some silly little inter corporation competition between the two company's. Im talking about maintaining standards in common sense. A physical being going faster than the speed of ligght without some kind of deus ex machina, is like making a 4 sided triangle ... its just plain retarded.

I don't give a crap about making him less powerful than other characters. I just hate the idea of intuitive, logical rules being ignored. The fact that you are stupid enough to consider that people think like that, makes me incredibly sorry for you and all genetic offspring you may spawn.

I know im getting way over the top angry about this, but this is about the zillionth time, i've had to clarify my position to some one like yourself.

For Gods sakes, comic book characters are not like sports teams. Its not necessary to support them to the point of mental disability. Not everyone cares whether Thor is more powerful than Superman, or whether the hulk can lift more than Wonder Woman?

Stop reading comics for the sake of some wierd meta-literacy competition. It doesn't exist !!! You might as well try counting to Infinity, or capture your shadow.

It comic book for god sake,science are not predominantly accurate of usage in comic and if you care about accuracy of science theorem so much why you bother posting in comic forum and tried to give reason to many super act in correct science theory and fact because none of real world fact can't be applied in comic. If real science is applied I doubt none of super hero can't be created.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 02:39 AM
skygunner41 is currently offline Click here to Send skygunner41 a Private Message Find more posts by skygunner41 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsscls

Light speed as a universal speed limit is sooo old school, Einstein thinking. Jump on board the Quantum school bus and take a trip into hyperspace. Seriously, I think with the leaps and bounds made in theoretical quantum physics in the past 10 years, I have no problem with him going >light speed. As long as it's half-assed explained. And I mean half-assed, I'm that stupid.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 07:05 AM
tsscls is currently offline Click here to Send tsscls a Private Message Find more posts by tsscls Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Wild Shadow
what did the writer who wrote the saturn flight feat in under 4 minutes have to say about supes actual flight speed?

why don't we ask the writer of the vega feat or the "flying to the sun in under a minute" feat too?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 12:49 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eel O'Brien

Originally posted by Wild Shadow

He said, "Supes can do better"

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 01:19 PM
Eel O'Brien is currently offline Click here to Send Eel O'Brien a Private Message Find more posts by Eel O'Brien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

It comic book for god sake,science are not predominantly accurate of usage in comic and if you care about accuracy of science theorem so much why you bother posting in comic forum and tried to give reason to many super act in correct science theory and fact because none of real world fact can't be applied in comic. If real science is applied I doubt none of super hero can't be created.

Its not science its common sense ... rationalism vs empiricism.
Going Faster than the speed of light is retarded as having a female bachelor or a four sided triangle. People don't understand the implications of it so, don't see it in this light, but If there is no universal speed limit all common sense brakes down. People start arriving before you see them, People arrive at destinations, before journeys start. Mass becomes less the faster you go , etc ! It would like having cold flames, or flat mountains, children with no parents. Its just plain retarded.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 02:20 PM
Eel O'Brien

children with no parents. Its just plain retarded.

Batman would be very offended...

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 03:30 PM
Eel O'Brien is currently offline Click here to Send Eel O'Brien a Private Message Find more posts by Eel O'Brien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
Batman would be very offended...

BORN ... with no parents !

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 04:25 PM
Eel O'Brien

BORN ... with no parents !
laughing out loud

If you don't mind my asking; do you read comics regularly? If so, do you enjoy them?

You have to allow for suspension of disbelief or else your head will explode.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 05:04 PM
skygunner41
I'll be back!

Or you need to get yourself a good woman.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 05:07 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Or you need to get yourself a good woman.

why not both?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 05:19 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eel O'Brien

Originally posted by Raoul
why not both?

because that might make your head explode, too!

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 05:37 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

because that might make your head explode, too!

in a good or bad way?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 05:48 PM
Eel O'Brien

Originally posted by Raoul
in a good or bad way?

You decide...

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 06:01 PM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

laughing out loud

If you don't mind my asking; do you read comics regularly? If so, do you enjoy them?

You have to allow for suspension of disbelief or else your head will explode.

Anyone who plays the "suspension" of disbelief card is a hypocrite. If no rules where applicable to comics then no one would ever be entitled to complain about continuity, or that silly little concept that Kmc has invented ... PIS. Comics obviously have applicable rules, if they didn't no one would read them. The only reason they have become more sophisticated over the last few years is that, more "rules" have been applied. If you can't see that then you are a moron. So play the whole, "you shouldn't give a shit about plot consistency, because it doesn't really matter"; card. But in the end it makes you a hypocrite. If you can't understand that common sense should be applied to comics, then your an idiot. Its not my fault that you are too ignorant to see the counter intuitiveness of F.T.L. speeds, without deus ex machinas (like quantum mechanics, mentioned earlier). IMO you might as well be some kind of ignorant zealot dogmatically stating that comic book "earths" should be flat. Just because you don't understand the retardedness of F.T.L. travel, doesn't mean that it should be ignored. And that is basically your point !!1

Old Post Jan 31st, 2009 04:30 AM
zeel

as fast as the writers choose to make him.

Old Post Feb 1st, 2009 06:31 AM
zeel is currently offline Click here to Send zeel a Private Message Find more posts by zeel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Anyone who plays the "suspension" of disbelief card is a hypocrite. If no rules where applicable to comics then no one would ever be entitled to complain about continuity, or that silly little concept that Kmc has invented ... PIS. Comics obviously have applicable rules, if they didn't no one would read them. The only reason they have become more sophisticated over the last few years is that, more "rules" have been applied. If you can't see that then you are a moron. So play the whole, "you shouldn't give a shit about plot consistency, because it doesn't really matter"; card. But in the end it makes you a hypocrite. If you can't understand that common sense should be applied to comics, then your an idiot. Its not my fault that you are too ignorant to see the counter intuitiveness of F.T.L. speeds, without deus ex machinas (like quantum mechanics, mentioned earlier). IMO you might as well be some kind of ignorant zealot dogmatically stating that comic book "earths" should be flat. Just because you don't understand the retardedness of F.T.L. travel, doesn't mean that it should be ignored. And that is basically your point !!1

I agree. I mean, in late '99-'00 Superman himself said he couldn't go faster than light. I realize he's been upgraded once or twice since, but even uber Supermen like Prime seem to imply they can't...I mean, Prime states that he was going to "fly through Oa at light speed" in order to destroy it. DC seems to have a great grasp on physics. Nothing with mass should be able to hit light speed, because the energy needed to hit that speed goes to infinity (due to mass increasing exponentially.) Flash can do it because the Speed Force says, "Hey - **** Einstein." On panel - via narration, Supes has gone light speed before. Most of the limited amount of times he's supposedly gone over are vague. Relying on distances where none is mentioned or # of panels used, etc. So evidence for him being FTL can be argued either way...and IMO, he's not.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2009 04:26 PM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote