KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » how fast can superman fly?

how fast can superman fly?
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eel O'Brien

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Anyone who plays the "suspension" of disbelief card is a hypocrite. If no rules where applicable to comics then no one would ever be entitled to complain about continuity, or that silly little concept that Kmc has invented ... PIS. Comics obviously have applicable rules, if they didn't no one would read them. The only reason they have become more sophisticated over the last few years is that, more "rules" have been applied. If you can't see that then you are a moron. So play the whole, "you shouldn't give a shit about plot consistency, because it doesn't really matter"; card. But in the end it makes you a hypocrite. If you can't understand that common sense should be applied to comics, then your an idiot. Its not my fault that you are too ignorant to see the counter intuitiveness of F.T.L. speeds, without deus ex machinas (like quantum mechanics, mentioned earlier). IMO you might as well be some kind of ignorant zealot dogmatically stating that comic book "earths" should be flat. Just because you don't understand the retardedness of F.T.L. travel, doesn't mean that it should be ignored. And that is basically your point !!1

so, am I a hypocrite, a moron, an idiot, ignorant, or a zealot?

or all of the above...

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2009 09:07 PM
Eel O'Brien is currently offline Click here to Send Eel O'Brien a Private Message Find more posts by Eel O'Brien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

How does crossing distances in a faster time than light would take not make someone lightspeed?

Unless you are denying that speed = distance/time

And if that was true the entire laws of physics and logic would fall apart and nothing would make sense, so you might as well just take a pencil and scribble randomly on a page and say that's a comic because it would make just as much sense.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 12:11 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
skygunner41
I'll be back!

Originally posted by Enyalus
I agree. I mean, in late '99-'00 Superman himself said he couldn't go faster than light. I realize he's been upgraded once or twice since, but even uber Supermen like Prime seem to imply they can't...I mean, Prime states that he was going to "fly through Oa at light speed" in order to destroy it. DC seems to have a great grasp on physics. Nothing with mass should be able to hit light speed, because the energy needed to hit that speed goes to infinity (due to mass increasing exponentially.) Flash can do it because the Speed Force says, "Hey - **** Einstein." On panel - via narration, Supes has gone light speed before. Most of the limited amount of times he's supposedly gone over are vague. Relying on distances where none is mentioned or # of panels used, etc. So evidence for him being FTL can be argued either way...and IMO, he's not.

GO AWAY!

Explain how marvel char can go light speed ?

Last edited by skygunner41 on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 01:49 AM

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 01:46 AM
skygunner41 is currently offline Click here to Send skygunner41 a Private Message Find more posts by skygunner41 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Originally posted by skygunner41
GO AWAY!

Explain how marvel char can go light speed ?

I don't recall Marvel being very big on Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity. DC uses it all the time.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 01:59 AM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
skygunner41
I'll be back!

I don't recall Marvel being very big on Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity. DC uses it all the time.

doesn't mean DC use it all the time though and btw how about some info marvel about FTL char.what the explanation.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 02:50 AM
skygunner41 is currently offline Click here to Send skygunner41 a Private Message Find more posts by skygunner41 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Originally posted by skygunner41
btw how about some info marvel about FTL char.what the explanation.

Or how about you stay on the topic.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 03:04 AM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
skygunner41
I'll be back!

Or how about you stay on the topic.

likewise.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 03:14 AM
vlaaad12345

Arguing superman isn't ftl is nothing short of retarded,he grabbed a person and moved them out of a city in less then a nano second(light travels 1 foot in a nanosecond)he has flown to the sun and back in 2 minutes(16 minute trip at light speed)he has flown to edges of saturn in 4 minutes(light takes about 36+minutes to do the same)he travelled 25 light years in a couple minutes during countdown and during infinite crisis he travelled over a million light years in a short amount of time,there is no arguing anything hes far far ftl.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 03:16 AM
vlaaad12345 is currently offline Click here to Send vlaaad12345 a Private Message Find more posts by vlaaad12345 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
skygunner41
I'll be back!

The question is does he need to go FTL every time?

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 03:20 AM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Originally posted by vlaaad12345
Arguing superman isn't ftl is nothing short of retarded

I wasn't really arguing. I was pointing out there is contradictory evidence.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 03:26 AM
vlaaad12345

There isn't any contradictory evidence unless you are using superman from around 1998 aka before he was powered up to hit light speed again,he gets stronger every year he is under yellow sun and infinite crisis specifically powered him up when he got his powers back,these days hes at planet shattering far ftl travelling gets knocked out but not really harmed by a supernova levels,either hes ftl or he somehow bends spacetime to arrive at distances impossible to achieve with less then light speed.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 03:28 AM
vlaaad12345 is currently offline Click here to Send vlaaad12345 a Private Message Find more posts by vlaaad12345 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I agree. I mean, in late '99-'00 Superman himself said he couldn't go faster than light. I realize he's been upgraded once or twice since, but even uber Supermen like Prime seem to imply they can't...I mean, Prime states that he was going to "fly through Oa at light speed" in order to destroy it. DC seems to have a great grasp on physics. Nothing with mass should be able to hit light speed, because the energy needed to hit that speed goes to infinity (due to mass increasing exponentially.) Flash can do it because the Speed Force says, "Hey - **** Einstein." On panel - via narration, Supes has gone light speed before. Most of the limited amount of times he's supposedly gone over are vague. Relying on distances where none is mentioned or # of panels used, etc. So evidence for him being FTL can be argued either way...and IMO, he's not.

batman disagrees.

(please log in to view the image)

distance and time.

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Anyone who plays the "suspension" of disbelief card is a hypocrite. If no rules where applicable to comics then no one would ever be entitled to complain about continuity, or that silly little concept that Kmc has invented ... PIS. Comics obviously have applicable rules, if they didn't no one would read them. The only reason they have become more sophisticated over the last few years is that, more "rules" have been applied. If you can't see that then you are a moron. So play the whole, "you shouldn't give a shit about plot consistency, because it doesn't really matter"; card. But in the end it makes you a hypocrite. If you can't understand that common sense should be applied to comics, then your an idiot. Its not my fault that you are too ignorant to see the counter intuitiveness of F.T.L. speeds, without deus ex machinas (like quantum mechanics, mentioned earlier). IMO you might as well be some kind of ignorant zealot dogmatically stating that comic book "earths" should be flat. Just because you don't understand the retardedness of F.T.L. travel, doesn't mean that it should be ignored. And that is basically your point !!1

uhh... no.

common sense? good. logic? fine. application of real world science to several of superman's abilities? no. it's been stated before that his powers (most of them anyways) by their nature contradict scientific fact.

also, coming off a little harsh there, no?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 07:26 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Originally posted by Raoul
batman disagrees.

(please log in to view the image)

distance and time.

Pfft. I know you photoshopped that.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 04:05 PM
Eel O'Brien

He did photoshop it.

Batman originally said that superman would be back in less than 12 hours.

Everybody else just waited on him... big grin

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 06:28 PM
Eel O'Brien is currently offline Click here to Send Eel O'Brien a Private Message Find more posts by Eel O'Brien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

laughing

Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
He did photoshop it.

Batman originally said that superman would be back in less than 12 hours.

Everybody else just waited on him... big grin

laughing out loud

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Last edited by -Pr- on Feb 3rd, 2009 at 09:23 PM

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 09:21 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Great Galen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well a rough estimate would be several hundred times the speed of light, not really quantfied unfortunatly as far as his base stats are concerned.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 10:09 PM
The Great Galen is currently offline Click here to Send The Great Galen a Private Message Find more posts by The Great Galen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Great Galen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Yeah but you have your legs moving faster when you sprint. What does he make move faster when he flies?

I know this was from the first page, but it's actually a good question. From what I've seen eluded to in his comics,it would seem supes"flight"operates as another fucntion of movement that is controlled mentally....as you would expect with any bodily movement such walking,running,throwing a punch or whatever. Being able to"fly faster"would be like knowing how run faster or how to throw a jab quicker...it all comes down to movement economy.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 10:19 PM
The Great Galen is currently offline Click here to Send The Great Galen a Private Message Find more posts by The Great Galen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

laughing

I guess, then, my answer to the OP would be something to the affect of, "As fast as he needs or wants to go, so long as that is less than the Flash's top speed."

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 10:45 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I guess, then, my answer to the OP would be something to the affect of, "As fast as he needs or wants to go, so long as that is less than the Flash's top speed."

sounds right to me, given that the flash rarely goes as fast as he can...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 10:58 PM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

sounds right to me, given that the flash rarely goes as fast as he can...

Like in FC when he was struggling to go superluminal?

*sigh* I like Flash too much.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2009 11:01 PM