KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Watchmen

Watchmen
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (50): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why is it stupid?

Go on. You tell me why my point is stupid, and in your answer, we'll see if you actually did get my point.

If you're gonna ignore my point, ignore my post. Don't reply with childish sarcasm, just don't reply at all. Either reply with something constructive, or don't type a reply at all.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:23 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Why is it stupid?

Go on. You tell me why my point is stupid, and in your answer, we'll see if you actually did get my point.

-AC
Nice try.

I'm not the one who made the claim. Perhaps you should explain to me why your point isn't stupid. Seeing as your the one who made the claims to begin with. wink

I can reply in whatever thread I like. If you do not like it leave smile

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:25 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

One last chance.

If you think my point is stupid, and claim to understand it, prove it. We can have a sensible discussion if you stop being silly.

You tell me why you think my point is stupid, I just quoted my point to you a few posts ago. Why is my point stupid? Unless, of course, you know you don't get what I'm saying, and you're afraid to reveal it.

Go on. If you continue to reply without constructive contribution, I'll take it as trolling and I'll report you.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:29 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

El oh el....

"You have one last chance Newjak!"

You've been ignored and batted away throughout the entire thread, and continue issuing insults and pseudo-ultimatums or declarations that you're finished.

Jamie, on the other hand (Scoob too, by the looks of it), doesn't really give a shit.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:33 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

One last chance.

If you think my point is stupid, and claim to understand it, prove it. We can have a sensible discussion if you stop being silly.

You tell me why you think my point is stupid, I just quoted my point to you a few posts ago. Why is my point stupid? Unless, of course, you know you don't get what I'm saying, and you're afraid to reveal it.

Go on. If you continue to reply without constructive contribution, I'll take it as trolling and I'll report you.

-AC
Or it could be the fact I know it's pointless to try. You've made up your mind. You will do as you always do try and use you opinion as fact. Which is nothing more than circular argument.

Essentially it will go like this.

You'll say I'm wrong, then you will try and make some off referenced claim that the movie could never capture the essence of the comicbook. You will never say why it won't, other then vague points that actually prove nothing.

Then you will fall back on that line of false and unproven reasoning when confronted with the fact that it is only your opinion and not fact.

And go ahead and report me. The fact that you started to respond to me first and eventually call me an idiot should work wonders for your position that I'm the one trolling. smile

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:34 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Who are you, Blue? One of Newjak's support crew?

If you have nothing constructive to contribute, why show up?

Originally posted by Newjak
Or it could be the fact I know it's pointless to try. You've made up your mind. You will do as you always do try and use you opinion as fact. Which is nothing more than circular argument.

Essentially it will go like this.

You'll say I'm wrong, then you will try and make some off referenced claim that the movie could never capture the essence of the comicbook. You will never say why it won't, other then vague points that actually prove nothing.

Then you will fall back on that line of false and unproven reasoning when confronted with the fact that it is only your opinion and not fact.

Why can you not just tell me, in a simple post, why you feel my point is stupid, and we can continue a civil discussion from there? Why is that such an arduous task?

Here's the deal; if you know that you cannot successfully counter any argument I provide on Watchmen being adapted into a movie, then either admit it or just slide away. Please don't sit there replying to me with nothing that pertains to the movie, ok? That's a waste of my time AND yours.

You obviously do not wish to debate the movie with me, so then we can go our separate ways, for whatever reasons. Ok? If you can't give me a reply about why my point about Watchmen is stupid, don't say anything to me at all, and I will cease replying to you unless it's about the movie. That's fair, right? We can end it there.

And go ahead and report me. The fact that you responded to me and eventually call me an idiot should work wonders for your position that I'm the one trolling. smile

Lovely.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jul 20th, 2008 at 04:40 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:35 PM
Smurph
------

Who are you? One of Newjak's support crew?

-AC
Just another poster with as much right to post here as you.

I've read Watchmen, which is why I clicked on the thread.

But then I saw the dire danger in which you were putting Newjak, and since I've been a lifelong member of the "Newjak's Support Crew" (I have a badge and everything), I jumped to enter the conversation.

Anyhow, I don't see how an entire page of you badgering Newjak into a pointless discussion based entirely around your views (when it's plenty clear he isn't going to discuss them with you) is any more constructive then what we're doing right now.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:40 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Then stop, and talk about Watchmen.

Feel free to pick up; what do you feel about the movie? Let's continue the thread.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:43 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Who are you, Blue? One of Newjak's support crew?

Why can you not just tell me, in a simple post, why you feel my point is stupid, and we can continue a civil discussion from there? Why is that such an arduous task?

Here's the deal; if you know that you cannot successfully counter any argument I provide on Watchmen being adapted into a movie, then either admit it or just slide away. Please don't sit there replying to me with nothing that pertains to the movie, ok? That's a waste of my time AND yours.

You obviously do not wish to debate the movie with me, so then we can go our separate ways, for whatever reasons. Ok? If you can't give me a reply about why my point about Watchmen is stupid, don't say anything to me at all, and I will cease replying to you unless it's about the movie. That's fair, right? We can end it there.

Lovely.

-AC
I'll give you the short version.

I don't care what you say. You replied to me first. When I was very clearly stating that I think everyone should wait till the movie comes out before they decide it can never be anything more than failure compared to the comics.

I think a more than admiral position considering you can not see into the future, unless there is something you are not revealing.

So then I think your point is stupid because it had nothing to do with what I was stating to begin with only you running with whatever point you wanted to make anyways.

By the way I love how in the previous post you were all I'm gonna report, and now that I called you out on it. Now it's let's just back off and not reply to each other. What's the matter AC don't want to hit th report button anymore stick out tongue

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:47 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

When I was very clearly stating that I think everyone should wait till the movie comes out before they decide it can never be anything more than failure compared to the comics.

I think a more than admiral position considering you can not see into the future, unless there is something you are not revealing.

Ok, well now you can apologise for getting it wrong.

Because I've clearly stated a number of times that like any movie, it could be shit, or it could be enjoyable...as just another movie. The fact of the matter is, you simply cannot get what is in Watchmen into a two and a half hour movie, and fit everything in faithfully, that's not opinion, that's fact. You can't make a truly faithful movie about The Hulk in three hours, as Ang Lee discovered. So what makes you think it can be done with Watchmen? That is why, to me and many other fans, it will never be an excellent adaptation OR movie, because it's impossible to faithfully reproduce in terms of cinema, that's fact.

Nobody is saying it can't be a "good" or "enjoyable" adaptation, just that even if that's how it turns out, it's far less than the novel deserves, and that's why it will fail, because it should be left as a book.

I am not personally saying that, in spite of this, it cannot be "enjoyable". I am saying that even a very good movie would be less than it deserves, in my opinion, which is to be left as it was originally intended.

If you had bothered reading my posts, you would realise this. Now let us hope that you have understood my point, and can tell me why that is stupid.

So then I think your point is stupid because it had nothing to do with what I was stating to begin with only you running with whatever point you wanted to make anyways.

You think the point is stupid? The point you thought I made, but didn't make? What point is stupid? You still haven't told me. My point is what I just said above, how is that stupid? Please tell.

By the way I love how in the previous post you were all I'm gonna report, and now that I called you out on it. Now it's let's just back off and not reply to each other. What's the matter AC don't want to hit th report button anymore stick out tongue

I said I'd report you if you didn't give me what I want, and you have, so who REALLY got scared? Lovely.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Last edited by Alpha Centauri on Jul 20th, 2008 at 04:53 PM

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:50 PM
Creshosk

Adapting things to movie that were not meant to be adapted to movie. It's not like it was a book that would work well as a movie. One of the CREATOR'S aims was to make it impossible to reproduce in cinema, to make it appreciated as, and stay as, a book.

Basically, it's not ok for them to ignore a creator's wishes in aid of getting money.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Alan...Movie-7376.html

Hmm... He doesn't seem to care.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:51 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Creshosk
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Alan...Movie-7376.html

Hmm... He doesn't seem to care.

He cares, he just isn't fighting it. He cares that this is happening to his work, but because it's inevitable, he has chosen not to fight it. Instead, focusing on not being associated with such a project.

He's claiming no royalties, he's claiming no attachment, he has continually spoken out against adaptations of his movies and been ignored, so it's no surprise he has given up and separated himself.

He said specifically that Watchmen should not be made, but it is, so what else can he do besides distance himself?

What's your point?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:55 PM
Creshosk

obviously you ignored that cos you're an idiot,
Reported

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:55 PM
Creshosk is currently offline Click here to Send Creshosk a Private Message Find more posts by Creshosk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Ok, well now you can apologise for getting it wrong.

I said I'd report you if you didn't give me what I want, and you have, so who REALLY got scared? Lovely.

-AC
Considering I wasn't even talking about your posts, and you were the one that replied to mine, perhaps you should be the one to apologize for getting it wrong.

And your last sentence is just laughing

I was scared. Heck man you can still push the button if you want. Seriously if you want I'll hit it and report myself just see how it would turn out for ya laughing laughing

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:57 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Can you not just reply and tell me, now that it has been cleared up, why my point is stupid?

I've just clarified it all for you, again, civilly. Are you going to engage me in a civil debate, or not? We can move on from here productively, or we can end it here, what's it to be?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 04:58 PM
Squirrel Fart

Dunno if this was posted already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSrgvJ2JyHs

Trailer.....with Smashing Pumpkins tunes woot!

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 05:01 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I agree. Why is AC's point stupid, Newjak?

Just answer and let's continue the debate, huh?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 05:01 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Creshosk

He cares, he just isn't fighting it.

He's claiming no royalties, he's claiming no attachment, he has continually spoken out against adaptations of his movies and been ignored, so it's no surprise he has given up.

What's your point?

-AC
You know how Moore feels better than himself? Nice.

quote:
I’m just simply not interested in it. Dave phoned me up, and it’s always nice to talk to Dave, but he understands that I’m not really interested in “Watchmen.” So when he phoned, he asked me if I was interested in being kept up to date on it, and I was saying, “Well, it’s always nice to talk to you, but not really.” I don’t really know much about it. I believe that it’s going ahead. I won’t be watching it, obviously.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 05:05 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Can you not just reply and tell me, now that it has been cleared up, why my point is stupid?

I've just clarified it all for you, again, civilly. Are you going to engage me in a civil debate, or not? We can move on from here productively, or we can end it here, what's it to be?

-AC
I've already told you why it was stupid.

You took what I was saying to someone else, and decided to turn into your chance to get some point across that was irrelevant to what I was saying. That being it is best to wait and see how the movie turns out before condemning it.

Which is my general stance on all comic book movies anyways.

As to your point. If you accept it as opinion I have no problem talking about a future movie. What I will not do however is get into a "debate" with you about something that is not ground in concrete fact.

But just in case you can get over this often times need to prove yourself superior type approach you normally take. I will share my opinions on the matter.

I don't think you are stupid for having doubts about how well the movie can be adapted to film. I have my own concerns on the matter. Like I have no idea how they would replicate the Dr. Manhattan, "The Time is" scene. I think it will be hard to pull off on the Silver Screen.

What I won't do however is say that there is no chance for them to pull if off. Alan Moore is a genius but Hollywood is chuck full of them as well. I've also seen way to many sophisticated movies touching deep human thoughts on high levels, to not think there is someone who could pull it off.

Whether is does though remains to be seen. So I look forward to this, but I'm also hesitant on it. Cause you never know and if this Movie does turn out to be crap then well I will be deeply disappointed. Cause I thought the Watchmen is a very good story.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 05:11 PM
Smurph
------

I think it's going to be a decent movie. No, it won't have every little tidbit that Moore painstakingly included, but saying that "because it won't, therefore it shouldn't be made", isn't true.

It'll mean more people are drawn to the books and it'll (I predict) stand on its own as a movie just fine.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2008 05:12 PM