KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Pandorum from Paul W. S. Anderson: Genius

Pandorum from Paul W. S. Anderson: Genius
Started by: MildPossession

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tzeentch
#gottem

Dennis Quaid's character seemed pretty clear-cut to me.

He basically got Space-Rage-Virus and turned super crazy violent. After going into stasis he got mild amnesia and forgot that he had space-rage-virus dementia for awhile. He remembered and turned super crazy violent.

Anyway, I thought the film was decent, as well as more than a little creepy in certain scenes. That being said, I thought the film turned too "slasher film" predictable near the end.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Aug 14th, 2012 04:40 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I should give this a 2nd chance viewing. I kinda lost interest & turned it off half way through. For me, it seemed the script writer lost direction & didn't know where to take the movie...

Old Post Aug 14th, 2012 06:19 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I'm still a little confused as to what's going on with Dennis Quaid's character, but i enjoy watching it again and again and not really knowing for sure what the deal is.. one of these days i'll pay REALLY close attention and figure it out, heh. And the "accelerator" that was supposed to "jump start" evolution seems like it actually mutated everyone and DE-evolved them, cuz they seem to have become more barbaric and to have reverted to more basic instincts.

No, it helped them better survive their immediate environment (the ship), from a physical/biological factor. The cannibals you see are the evolved decendents of the first set of crew let loose hundreds of years before by Payton/Gallo.

Them acting like insane cannibals was due to suffering from Pandorum (like a super cabin fewer).

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 14th, 2012 at 06:26 AM

Old Post Aug 14th, 2012 06:24 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech

Sorry, I wanted to respond sooner, but I have been (and continue to be) rather busy and I was also without internet for a few days. Anyway...

Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Dennis Quaid's character seemed pretty clear-cut to me.

He basically got Space-Rage-Virus and turned super crazy violent. After going into stasis he got mild amnesia and forgot that he had space-rage-virus dementia for awhile. He remembered and turned super crazy violent.

Right, but my interpretation was that the guy he's arguing with during the middle part of the film is his younger self/psyche (they seem to imply that the way their arms merge together, and they seem to imply that he was a part of the original crew who developed Pandorum), but in the credits they have different names:

Payton and Gallo.

What the hell's up with that?

Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Anyway, I thought the film was decent, as well as more than a little creepy in certain scenes. That being said, I thought the film turned too "slasher film" predictable near the end.

What was "slasher film" about it at the end? (Besides the asian dude fight at the end?) I mean, there were people getting "slashed" throughout the movie, so it didn't suddenly turn into anything different.. *shrug* I found it pretty consistent and satisfying.

Originally posted by Robtard
No, it helped them better survive their immediate environment (the ship), from a physical/biological factor. The cannibals you see are the evolved decendents of the first set of crew let loose hundreds of years before by Payton/Gallo.

Hmm.. that's not the way the chick explained it. I don't think all the cannibals are descendents from the same group of people. I thought they were people awakened who had been given the "accelerator" (perhaps toward the end of their stasis). The chick seemed to imply that that was the case. Not sure if she'd have the wrong idea or what, but she seemed to know what she was talking about. Or maybe I misunderstood her. Anyway, I enjoy watching the film again and again trying to figure it all out... (it's a shame it did poorly at the box office :sad face: )

Old Post Aug 16th, 2012 01:32 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

No, they were the descendants of the first to be released, why they changed so drastically from being human. I've only watched it in the theater when it came out and partially a few years later at home, but I'm almost certain I'm correct.

You can also go look-up the synopsis on IMDB, Wiki or various other sites.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2012 08:53 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech

Yeah, I'll probably get around to reading more about the plot details eventually...

Did I mention that I think this girl is pretty hot, even though I have no idea how to pronounce her name (Antje Traue)...

(please log in to view the image)

She is supposed to be in the new Man of Steel movie, which might force me to give at least half a shit about that stupid-ass movie..

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Aug 17th, 2012 at 02:12 AM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2012 02:10 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

She's very attractive

She's playing Faora, a female Kryptonian who despises men except for Zod. Ursa in Superman II was based off her.

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 17th, 2012 at 06:06 PM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2012 06:03 PM
Patient_Leech

Originally posted by Robtard
She's playing Faora, a female Kryptonian who despises men except for Zod. Ursa in Superman II was based off her.

Good to know that useless information, sir.

I also really liked Ben Foster in this movie. He's a cool actor. I've only seen him in two or three different movies. I didn't even realize it was the same actor as this dude in The Punisher...

Shows that he's got some range as an actor. I mean, you can fault this movie on a number of things, but to me the good out-weighs the bad by a large margin. I find it damn enjoyable.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2012 08:20 PM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

but to me the good out-weighs the bad by a large margin. I find it damn enjoyable. [/B]

Compared to WarZone?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2012 02:44 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Compared to WarZone?

Say whut, bro? You have NOT been making any sense to me lately.. lol. What is Warzone?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2012 11:35 AM
Kazenji

Punisher: Warzone

numbnuts.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2012 01:25 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech

The "numbnuts" is not necessary. What the f#ck does it have to do with Pandorum? Or did he think i was referring to the Thomas Jane Punisher? I wasnt.. was referring to Pandorum again.. my bad.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2012 05:29 PM
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

The "numbnuts" is not necessary.

Disagree.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2012 06:40 PM
Patient_Leech

Hilarious.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2012 10:23 PM
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Hilarious.

Agreed.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2012 10:34 PM
Patient_Leech

At least you amuse yourself.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 12:59 AM
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Easy, fella. Easy.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2012 11:26 PM
Patient_Leech

C A L M ... D O W N

Don't get a big dick.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2012 01:22 AM
Zamiel

Long time lurker. I think the movie is decent and have read the original script. Some of the martial-arts scene were actual afterthoughts that felt out of tone but the f. It's seems that the mix-martial arts was just there to attract fans of Cung Le, I'm sure.

The trailers gave the impression that it was going to be Resident Evil in space with science turning people into cannibal monsters. But that was clearly red herring. As another poster said it was Pandorum that made the creature's ancestors turn to cannibalism. If you look closely at those drawing that explain what happened you'll notice that blood is pouring out of their noses and lightning is appear around their heads suggesting that something abnormal is up with their minds. That infers that the creatures were just doing it all of that out of tradition rather than science going wrong. It seems that the filmmaker were aiming are a puzzle type plot where the audience is to fill in the crucial details.

But the red herring marketing backed fired. Making it look like a generic zombie flick when it's really a mind-screw. Thus a lot of the people who saw it was left confused or misinterpreted the plot as "people turn into mutant zombie".

Has anyone notice that this and Man of Steel are both inspired by "When Worlds Collide"?

Old Post Jan 18th, 2014 08:27 PM
Zamiel is currently offline Click here to Send Zamiel a Private Message Find more posts by Zamiel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote