KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Which of the following technologies/feats would be hardest to create?

Which of the following technologies/feats would be hardest to create?
Started by: Hewhoknowsall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LDHZenkai
Evergreen Oldboy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by jaden101
I can see what you're getting at. Kind of like if you lay a piece of fabric over a hole and push down on top, the outer edge of the fabric get pulled in towards each other. Then you pull them flat and they get further apart again. Thus and thing that went from 1 side of the hole to the other while the fabric had been pushed down will end up even further apart once the fabric is straightened again.

The problem with that is you'd need to have something with huge mass and thus huge gravity but with a regulated outward force so that the mass didn't just collapse in on itself to infinite density and zero volume (just like a black hole)

What you're talking about is some kind of super-dense and negative charged electromagnetic substance. Effectively large planet sized object that was just short of being as dense as a neutron star whereby it's own gravity would be pulling it in on itself whilst a regulated opposing electromagnet would be repelling its outer layers and preventing it from collapsing into a neutron star or black hole.

The vesself flying over the space "well" it would also have to be magnetically oppose so as to not be attracted to it and thus not crash into it via massive gravitational pull.

You would then regulate the outward magnetic push of the object and thus while not effecting its mass, it would alter its gravitational distortion on space and so the well would get shallower and the object which crossed from one side to the other would get further apart.

Yea the cloth example is exactly how i picture it in my mind. Figuring out how to do that and building something that could withstand the stress is a problem smile

Old Post Mar 29th, 2009 01:17 AM
LDHZenkai is currently offline Click here to Send LDHZenkai a Private Message Find more posts by LDHZenkai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

It would be kind of limited, you would have to build a bunch of these things in a line if you wanted to get somewhere, it would be easier and faster probably to just get there slower than light.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Mar 29th, 2009 06:15 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LDHZenkai
Evergreen Oldboy

Originally posted by Endless Mike
It would be kind of limited, you would have to build a bunch of these things in a line if you wanted to get somewhere, it would be easier and faster probably to just get there slower than light.

Not if you could get a deep enough gravitational well to form. It would shorten the distance something had to travel based upon how much you could bend space. Of course that would be assuming it even possible to traverse the "space" in between space.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2009 07:01 AM
LDHZenkai is currently offline Click here to Send LDHZenkai a Private Message Find more posts by LDHZenkai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by LDHZenkai
I read somewhere that it's theoretically possible to punch a hole in space using a high powered laser, which would in turn create an artificial black hole. I think if we could somehow make a gravity well to push space down (like how large objects with mass do, but with a stronger effect) then all we would have to do is figure out how to traverse the area from one side of the well to the other side of it. Not going through the well but from one side to the other. Of course if we did that that would mean that there is no space to travel through at that point so that creates a whole new problem. It's hard to explain what I'm talking about without drawing a pic or something of that nature >.<
I got what you're saying. The thing is (all mathematics and data-processing aside): energy is energy, whether potential as actual mass (eg, a star) or already pure energy (eg, a high powered laser). A certain amount (I would think) is needed to get the job done.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2009 04:19 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LDHZenkai
Evergreen Oldboy

Originally posted by Mindship
I got what you're saying. The thing is (all mathematics and data-processing aside): energy is energy, whether potential as actual mass (eg, a star) or already pure energy (eg, a high powered laser). A certain amount (I would think) is needed to get the job done.

Yea in the diagram i saw they had an array of lasers focusing the beam on a single point in space. Still way too difficult for us to do at the moment.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2009 07:56 PM