KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Why are "ancient" weapons more powerful than third age weapons?

Why are "ancient" weapons more powerful than third age weapons?
Started by: Hewhoknowsall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why are "ancient" weapons more powerful than third age weapons?

In the movies/books, they always exclaim "oh, so and so is gonna kick but because he has the X, which is an ancient weapon crafted years ago so therefore it's awesome!" Seriously; the ancient elves, dwarves and Numenoreans (sp?) weapons seem to be the most revered and powerful. But, shouldn't ancient weapons be weaker than "modern" ones? I mean, if so, then why aren't we using swords crafted by the "ancient eyptians long ago"?

And, how come in all of the ages (several thousand years) the LOTR universe has never advanced technologically?

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2009 01:14 AM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Because the LOTR universe is meant to be medieval, so it won't advance.

And ancient weapons are more powerful because they're usually mystic or made by some process that is far more impressive than what they have now, though the process is inexplicably lost somehow.

And ya gotta realize dude, this is fiction.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2009 02:19 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Because they're stupid.

I'd take a desert eagle over Narsil any day.

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2009 04:45 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

What if you had the speed to block bullets with Narsil?

Old Post Mar 22nd, 2009 04:52 AM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LDHZenkai
Evergreen Oldboy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by KingD19
What if you had the speed to block bullets with Narsil?

that's why they made nuclear warheads.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 12:37 AM
LDHZenkai is currently offline Click here to Send LDHZenkai a Private Message Find more posts by LDHZenkai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

good point.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 03:58 AM
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Because the LOTR universe is meant to be medieval, so it won't advance.

And ancient weapons are more powerful because they're usually mystic or made by some process that is far more impressive than what they have now, though the process is inexplicably lost somehow.

And ya gotta realize dude, this is fiction.

Even medieval times eventually advanced. I guess a renaissance has yet to hit middle earth. That gives me an idea for a fourth movie: the "renaissance" happens in middle earth and advancements are made. Eventually, they acquire guns and discover the "new world". And then, they begin colonizing the "new world". So then, the elves decide to come back to middle earth, but the humans are like "hey you abandoned us when Sauron was around why should we let you back in" and then a war starts! Muskets vs Elven longbows (in which the Elves would actually have an advantage one on one).

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 09:49 PM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

The world is not meant to advance, it's meant to stay where it is, it's not evolutionary, it's stationary, otherwise it wouldn't be Lord of the Rings anymore. It would be something else.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 09:56 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Because they're stupid.

I'd take a desert eagle over Narsil any day.

Dude, have a little foresight. A magical glowing sword that fills men (and Orcs, aka modern day Mexicans) with fear is far more valuable than a 'deagle'.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 11:00 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

The world is not meant to advance, it's meant to stay where it is, it's not evolutionary, it's stationary, otherwise it wouldn't be Lord of the Rings anymore. It would be something else.

Wasn't the world changing (ie moving forward), as the time of the Elves was coming to an end and Hobbits were growing taller and taller?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 11:01 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19

You make a good point, but what I was trying to convey is that the world advanced, but not to the point of changing noticeably. Yeah hobbits are getting bigger, but we're not going to start seeing steamboats and rifles.

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2009 11:03 PM
Serious Impact

There's more to it than just remaining stagnant. I'm not an expert on Middle Earth, but didn't they have a major war, or wars that nearly crippled all of civilization? It would be the equivalent of us having a nuclear war and nuking ourselves back into the stone age. We'd still have some technology, but most of it would be lost and we'd have far fewer people with an understanding on how to keep it working, or how to improve on what we had left.

This is the main reason why ancient weapons are considered better than weapons made in their current time. These weapons were made during their "golden age" of magic and civilization. These weapons were imbued with power that, in their "modern day" can't be matched. Furthermore, as time passes, more and more of them are either lost, or broken in some way, which makes the few that remain all the more precious and valuable.

I'm sure, if the books wanted to really advance the time line, you'd see that their technology would improve, maybe not in the same way it did back in the golden days, but it would show improvement.

I just can't...look...away!!

Old Post Mar 31st, 2009 12:02 AM
Serious Impact is currently offline Click here to Send Serious Impact a Private Message Find more posts by Serious Impact Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Incanus
Istari

Well, say someone had a 4th or 3rd age sword, then another dude comes along with a sword Feanor himself made, which would you rather have? The wepons (especially from the first age that wernt lost) were almost certainly enchanted with various spells, or, would u rather have a sword of a maiar that was rescued before Beleriand was lost, brought by the Faithful?I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A MAIAR SWORD!!!!

Isil
Turgon aran Gondolin tortha gar a matha, i vegil Glamdring gud dae lo, dam an Glamhoth.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2009 10:50 PM
Incanus is currently offline Click here to Send Incanus a Private Message Find more posts by Incanus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Incanus
Well, say someone had a 4th or 3rd age sword, then another dude comes along with a sword Feanor himself made, which would you rather have? The wepons (especially from the first age that wernt lost) were almost certainly enchanted with various spells, or, would u rather have a sword of a maiar that was rescued before Beleriand was lost, brought by the Faithful?I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A MAIAR SWORD!!!!

For collectors yes because ancient, long lost swords of famous kings are very rare and valuable, but in a war would you rather have an M16 or Narsil?

Old Post Jun 25th, 2009 09:08 PM
Neo_Version 7
Smile (:

^ Sting is obviously the clear choice.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2009 11:46 PM
Neo_Version 7 is currently offline Click here to Send Neo_Version 7 a Private Message Find more posts by Neo_Version 7 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Incanus
Istari

They didnt have M16s in Middle Earth, just M4s, but It dosnt mattyer with guns as they didnt have them. Compared to 3rd Age swords, older ones were just sharper, sturdier, and just generally better made.

Isil
Turgon aran Gondolin tortha gar a matha, i vegil Glamdring gud dae lo, dam an Glamhoth.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2009 04:24 AM
Incanus is currently offline Click here to Send Incanus a Private Message Find more posts by Incanus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Think of it as this way, the Ancient Sith knew more about the dark side than most current Sith like Caedus and Sidious. Most of that knowledge died with Exar Kun. Ancient weapons were far more infused with magic than your average sword, spear or spell. Saruman & Sauron may have been enormously powerful, but compared to an Ancient they don't stand a chance.

War Doctor

Old Post Jul 1st, 2009 07:01 PM
Darth Truculent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

um...
erm

Old Post Jul 1st, 2009 09:09 PM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Think of it as this way, the Ancient Sith knew more about the dark side than most current Sith like Caedus and Sidious.

Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Saruman & Sauron may have been enormously powerful, but compared to an Ancient they don't stand a chance.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2009 12:05 AM
Incanus
Istari

ummmm, Sauron IS an ancient dude..... and so is Saruman, as they are both Maia............ so they helped CREATE the world, they are older than it............

Isil

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2009 02:41 AM