KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Did JRR Tolkien invent the Orcs?

Did JRR Tolkien invent the Orcs?
Started by: Dejio

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Fëanor

i concur...but if a whip is necessary then by all means whip that answer this way...

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 05:54 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

(please log in to view the image)

I dont know the NAME of who did it, but orc has been a name in england for evil ancient creatures for a LOOOONG time, way before tolkien.
he just popuarlised it

Im Back happy

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 06:01 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fëanor

quote:
Originally posted by Darth Sauron
(please log in to view the image)

I dont know the NAME of who did it, but orc has been a name in england for evil ancient creatures for a LOOOONG time, way before tolkien.
he just popuarlised it

my guess is that during the time of the early, late and dark middle-ages...a lone traveller was accosted by an ugly hooligan and upon seeing said hooligan that he was so traumatized by his ugliness that the first words he said were an exasperation that went something like this:

"erk!!!"

and yet he lived to tell that tale and those listening may have mistaken his feared expression as a name for such a hideous beast...

btw...a little harder with the whip... stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 06:05 PM
Fëanor is currently offline Click here to Send Fëanor a Private Message Find more posts by Fëanor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
he just popuarlised it

That's the Old English word I talked about, I guess no expression

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 06:08 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Inkeeper

Really?

Im Back happy

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 06:11 PM
The Inkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The Inkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The Inkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

myb ....

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 07:49 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Really?

Yé! Utúviënyes happy

(Free translation of some passages of one of Tolkien's letters to Naomi Mitchison ... #144 messed)

As far as I am concerned, the word is originally derived from old english "orc" (="demon"), but only because of its phonetic suitability.
(...)
(something about the orcs being based on the goblins of traditional stories, especially in George MacDonald's works... but he clearly states that orcs are his own invention)

(Elsewhere he says something about the name being used because of its similarity to sindarin orch (derived from PE *ÔROK))

(to be continued tomorrow erm g2g... I actually totally forgot what I wanted to say with this post erm)

Old Post Aug 9th, 2004 08:51 PM
Exabyte is currently offline Click here to Send Exabyte a Private Message Find more posts by Exabyte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Agent Elrond
The Curse is gone

question: is there a difference between orcs and golbins? The q is driving me crazy (kinda)

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 09:54 PM
Agent Elrond is currently offline Click here to Send Agent Elrond a Private Message Find more posts by Agent Elrond Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

In Tolkien works, the only differance I really found was that Orcs are usually used for the Orc-breed that walk abroad, and the Goblin-breed are usually referred to when talking about Orcs in the Mountains.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2004 09:56 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Exabyte

quote:
Originally posted by Manôkhâu
In Tolkien works, the only differance I really found was that Orcs are usually used for the Orc-breed that walk abroad, and the Goblin-breed are usually referred to when talking about Orcs in the Mountains.

Yea,
But they're supposed to be the same. People often try to find differences like "goblins are bigger", "orcs are stronger", whatever, but it's just two different names for the same thing...

The usage also depends on the book
In the Hobbit for example Tolkien uses "orcs" twice or so while in the Silmarillion he nearly only says "orcs".

Old Post Aug 11th, 2004 05:13 PM
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

yup ..

Old Post Aug 12th, 2004 12:34 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ligerteeth

I know tolkien didn't invent elves they are from Norse mythology. They also had both normal elves and dark elves, though that isn't really relevant it's just something he used. But I don't know about orcs. It really does piss me off though that now in every other book or movie they are the terrifying monsters that the bad guys seem to have thousands of.(Seriously fantasy writers, I know that some of you are reading this, try coming up with a premice that isn't a complete rip-off. mad )

Old Post Jul 21st, 2008 05:10 AM
ligerteeth is currently offline Click here to Send ligerteeth a Private Message Find more posts by ligerteeth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

If I remember rightly, William Blake invented the word 'Orc' in the Book Of Urizen. I believe it was played upon as a positive creature by Blake, as it was free of inhibitions, yet it was still monstrous to look at.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Jul 21st, 2008 05:19 AM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote