KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-

So now that the game is out and available, has anyone been playing it?

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 12:10 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Nuul
Kramer

Nope.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 04:26 PM
The Nuul is currently offline Click here to Send The Nuul a Private Message Find more posts by The Nuul Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
So now that the game is out and available, has anyone been playing it?

I'm waiting for the free-trial first. Hoping they do a 10-day ro something like that.

If it's good and my comp can handle, I'll buy it.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 06:58 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

I played a trial of it. The space combat was pretty fun but the ground stuff was lame.

Old Post Feb 24th, 2010 08:19 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The developers have made a basic mistake from the ground upwards.

Trying to do an MMO set over the entirity of the Trek experience does not work. It's a similar mistake that Galaxies made- the Rebellion is actually a rubbish time to set an MMO. TOR is a much better era.

The problem is that there is so much more to Trek than... blowing up ships and grinding for stuff. In a few missions in this, you destroy more Klingons than Kirk did in his lifetime. It doesn't feel like being in Starfleet at all- there are thousands of Captains but no-one who reports to them, breaking the command structure, and there's not much more to the game than the endless killing. You cannot do that with Trek and expect it to work- you cannot go for the whole deal, set over most the quadrant, and then make it like WoW, with your ship as your mount, tacked on ground sequences and clearly insufficient development time re: other races (another issue- MMOs have to stop launching unfinished).

On the assumption that it is not yet possible to have a game that gneuinely includes all the exploration, ethical and diplomatic facets of Trek, they should have aimed lower- made the game set in one sector disputed by many races. Then it could have been a combat game and not broke the Trek atmosphere (though without you destroying dozens of ships a day), and they could have gone into far more detail about everything in it. A sector- or perhaps set of sectors- in a Galaxy is more room than an MMO needs, and Trek deserves the detail.

All you get for shooting as big as they have done is lots of things that will not satisfy. Nothing will ever be detailed enough. Nothing will ever be involving enough. Nothing will ever be good enough.

Make something smaller that works- not something big that does not. Only the Trek name will keep this afloat.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Feb 26th, 2010 at 01:33 PM

Old Post Feb 25th, 2010 06:59 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Does anyone actually play this? I'll be putting up a detailed review/summary soon, recommending the game as I believe it's well worth the effort.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Nov 20th, 2010 11:31 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

I play it. Pretty damn good, only problem I found with it is the same problem with any MMORPG. The limitation on mission/quest variety. Still enjoy it though lol.

CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2010 02:05 PM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Tried the demo, I didn't care for it.

Old Post Nov 20th, 2010 10:12 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Originally posted by CadoAngelus
I play it. Pretty damn good, only problem I found with it is the same problem with any MMORPG. The limitation on mission/quest variety. Still enjoy it though lol.

want to add me?

Originally posted by Robtard
Tried the demo, I didn't care for it.

the sad thing is that the demo leaves a LOT of the actual game content out, to the extent that they're actually working on a new demo to show people more of what they can expect from the game.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 12:56 PM
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

the sad thing is that the demo leaves a LOT of the actual game content out, to the extent that they're actually working on a new demo to show people more of what they can expect from the game.

I'll try that one then too.

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 05:54 PM
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

Yeah, I played the demo first and it doesn't do the game justice. IMO of course

quote:
want to add me?

What's your addy? PM me

Old Post Nov 22nd, 2010 11:45 PM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Originally posted by Robtard
I'll try that one then too.

good stuff.

Yeah, I played the demo first and it doesn't do the game justice. IMO of course

What's your addy? PM me

sent.

Old Post Nov 23rd, 2010 07:10 AM
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

good stuff.

sent.

Got the invite...really long reply - sorry for that lol. Been playing more recently, managed to up my level to Captain from a long winded Commander...

Old Post Jan 25th, 2011 11:34 PM
-Pr-

Got the invite...really long reply - sorry for that lol. Been playing more recently, managed to up my level to Captain from a long winded Commander...

ill be sure to check.

ATM im saving my emblems/marks to get a nebula class t5...

Old Post Jan 25th, 2011 11:59 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

can you play this on a laptop or is a desktop preferred?

Thanks Steve... The Darkside of the force...

Old Post Jan 26th, 2011 07:58 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

ill be sure to check.

ATM im saving my emblems/marks to get a nebula class t5...

I'm a Tactical officer so I'll be saving up for the Defiant =) yummy...

Can you mix and match the T5 ship-retrofits like you can with the standard Tier ships? Because I've got a pretty good thing going atm with my Valiant hull and everything else Defiant, so it looks like an elongated Defiant - I wanna try and retain that on my T5 ship is possible

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

Honestly I think it all depends on how well your laptop runs other games on high quality settings, and what type of laptop it is - e.g. Integrated Graphics or a Chip Set.

The one thing I can think of that might cause issues for a integrated GC laptop is the huge amount of space in free-roam areas. Because there's so much and the shadowing is shown on everything, it could cause lagging issues...but otherwise there's a trial version of the game on Steam you could use to see how well the game runs - without forking out and realising the game doesn't work...

Old Post Jan 26th, 2011 11:04 AM
-Pr-

I'm a Tactical officer so I'll be saving up for the Defiant =) yummy...

Can you mix and match the T5 ship-retrofits like you can with the standard Tier ships? Because I've got a pretty good thing going atm with my Valiant hull and everything else Defiant, so it looks like an elongated Defiant - I wanna try and retain that on my T5 ship is possible

Honestly I think it all depends on how well your laptop runs other games on high quality settings, and what type of laptop it is - e.g. Integrated Graphics or a Chip Set.

The one thing I can think of that might cause issues for a integrated GC laptop is the huge amount of space in free-roam areas. Because there's so much and the shadowing is shown on everything, it could cause lagging issues...but otherwise there's a trial version of the game on Steam you could use to see how well the game runs - without forking out and realising the game doesn't work...

if the t-5 has a variant (i have a galaxy-r, but have access to celestial parts), then yes, you can.

did you not use your VA token to get your defiant?

i go by this, btw:

http://www.stowiki.org/images/2/26/...EDShipChart.jpg

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

i actually play the game on a laptop. i don't have max settings, but like cado said, if it has a dedicated rather than integrated graphics card, you should be fine.

I run on an i3 1.7 ghz, 4gb of ram and a 512mb nvidia graphics card.

as he also said, though, try the demo just in case.

just dont be put off by the lack of content in the demo; there's lots more in the game itself.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2011 12:06 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

thanks guys i'll give it a try

Thanks Steve... The Darkside of the force...

Old Post Jan 27th, 2011 01:03 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

out of curiosity, is there a thread for Champions Online? Just started playing since it turned F2P...

Old Post Jan 31st, 2011 10:29 AM
-Pr-

out of curiosity, is there a thread for Champions Online? Just started playing since it turned F2P...

its in the comic books forum.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f95/t544880.html

Old Post Jan 31st, 2011 02:54 PM