KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » So why isn't Spider-Man viewed as mutant in the comics universe?

So why isn't Spider-Man viewed as mutant in the comics universe?
Started by: Tactics

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tactics
~Tactics~

So why isn't Spider-Man viewed as mutant in the comics universe?

You'd think out of all the silly mutant powers, and a man wearing a mask trying to conceal his identity while swinging around on webs projected from his wrists with super strength and agility would be viewed as just another mutant by the populace.

If I saw Spider-man, I'd simply think that he was a mutant who took it to the next level and actually became a full time super-hero and all that yada yada. I mean Spider-man isn't exactly liked, but he isn't always hated like mutants are.

So yeah, I guess you can pass it off as just something that's just the way it is, but I'd think that more people in the comics universe would view him as a mutant and when asked how he isn't a mutant, I probably wouldn't believe his whole 'oh I was bitten by a radioactive spider' story, either.

Has there ever been any incidence in comics where people/other heroes/villains have mistaken Spidey as a mutant?

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:04 AM
Tactics is currently offline Click here to Send Tactics a Private Message Find more posts by Tactics Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

Well i just assumed because he was bitten by a radioactive spider the reason why they do not consider him a mutant, but i could be wrong. In House of M did they not think Spiderman was a mutant?

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:08 AM
Shadow_King is currently offline Click here to Send Shadow_King a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow_King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tactics
~Tactics~

Yes I understand that's why he's not declared as a mutant but a mutate, but im talking more about the characters in the universe confusing him as a mutant. I mean wouldnt you? I'd think it'd just be a more popular misconception and even could be a running gag imo... but nope, very rarely is he misidentified as a mutant, but yeah

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:12 AM
Tactics is currently offline Click here to Send Tactics a Private Message Find more posts by Tactics Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

it's because he wasn't born as a Mutant. technically, you could say he is a mutant, but not by the X-men definition.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:15 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tactics
Yes I understand that's why he's not declared as a mutant but a mutate, but im talking more about the characters in the universe confusing him as a mutant. I mean wouldnt you? I'd think it'd just be a more popular misconception and even could be a running gag imo... but nope, very rarely is he misidentified as a mutant, but yeah
They did think he was a mutant for awhile.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:17 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tactics
~Tactics~

Really? I believe you butthis interests me, you wouldnt happen to have any scans containing Spidey's reaction would you?

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:48 AM
Tactics
~Tactics~

and yeah he wasnt born a mutant but like im trying to say look at from the viewpoint of the people in that universe, you have all these super powered mutants running around in their little teams like x-men and x-force and the brotherhood then you have this lone super hero swinging around new york.

IF i didnt know better i'd think he was just another mutant, with some spider-like powers, wouldnt you?

Old Post May 25th, 2009 05:49 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

no

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post May 25th, 2009 07:34 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

What difference does it make?

Even if some of them do believe he's a mutant, it's not like they'd go out of their way to declare his super-powered status, mutant or otherwise.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 04:34 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tactics
~Tactics~

Doesnt make a difference at all, it would just make sense.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 06:58 PM
steverules_2

Re: So why isn't Spider-Man viewed as mutant in the comics universe?

You'd think out of all the silly mutant powers, and a man wearing a mask trying to conceal his identity while swinging around on webs projected from his wrists with super strength and agility would be viewed as just another mutant by the populace.

If I saw Spider-man, I'd simply think that he was a mutant who took it to the next level and actually became a full time super-hero and all that yada yada. I mean Spider-man isn't exactly liked, but he isn't always hated like mutants are.

So yeah, I guess you can pass it off as just something that's just the way it is, but I'd think that more people in the comics universe would view him as a mutant and when asked how he isn't a mutant, I probably wouldn't believe his whole 'oh I was bitten by a radioactive spider' story, either.

Has there ever been any incidence in comics where people/other heroes/villains have mistaken Spidey as a mutant?

In an ult. spiderman arc some thugs mis-took him for a mutant and in the ult. deadpool storyline which was in ult. spiderman he was taken to an island for mojo vision where mutants are taken to be hunted down on TV and he complained about how he shouldn't be there cause he isn't a mutant...there may be other times, I'm sure there are more times he is mistaken for a mutant

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post May 25th, 2009 08:02 PM
steverules_2 is online now! Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tactics
~Tactics~

thank you, thats exactly what i was looking for. I just find it kind of interesting is all, doesnt matter if its relevant or makes a difference, its something I find interesting and being on this forum I would think I wouldnt get shit for it.

Old Post May 25th, 2009 09:21 PM
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

thank you, thats exactly what i was looking for. I just find it kind of interesting is all, doesnt matter if its relevant or makes a difference, its something I find interesting and being on this forum I would think I wouldnt get shit for it.

I wasn't "giving you shit." I just failed to see the relevance of such a topic.

Old Post May 26th, 2009 11:06 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

The only reason it's not relevant is because the mutant paranoia is confined to X-Men comics. Outside them Spider-man's probably just this goofy little guy who's real strong who wears pajamas, but he's alright.

Old Post May 27th, 2009 06:30 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CATMANEXE

Magneto also mistook him for a mutant when he had the Uni-Power.

anyways, Peter doesnt have an active x-gene, therefore not a mutant.

"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer."
-Hunter S. Thompson
—"Extreme Behavior in Aspen," February 3, 2003

Old Post May 27th, 2009 08:31 AM
CATMANEXE is currently offline Click here to Send CATMANEXE a Private Message Find more posts by CATMANEXE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpyCspider

too bad in the Marvel universe, only people with an active X-gene can be classified as "mutants." That's pretty basic idiocy of the writers in not knowing what a mutation is. A mutation is simply a change in the genetic code from the norm.

With that definition, anyone with powers in the Marvel universe that has a genetic change should be potentially be a mutant..including the FF. Or Captain America. Or Hulk. Or Ms. Marvel. Etc. I'm sure drinking some superpowered serum or exposing yourself to gamma radiation would f with your genes quite a bit.

The writers probably simply choose not to address real-world basic science so the X-men would seem more special.

But if I were a regular Marvel citizen, ya I'd think any superpowered individual was a mutant. How is being a freak different from being born a freak?

Old Post May 29th, 2009 04:17 AM
SpyCspider is currently offline Click here to Send SpyCspider a Private Message Find more posts by SpyCspider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

Originally posted by SpyCspider
too bad in the Marvel universe, only people with an active X-gene can be classified as "mutants." That's pretty basic idiocy of the writers in not knowing what a mutation is. A mutation is simply a change in the genetic code from the norm.

With that definition, anyone with powers in the Marvel universe that has a genetic change should be potentially be a mutant..including the FF. Or Captain America. Or Hulk. Or Ms. Marvel. Etc. I'm sure drinking some superpowered serum or exposing yourself to gamma radiation would f with your genes quite a bit.

The writers probably simply choose not to address real-world basic science so the X-men would seem more special.

But if I were a regular Marvel citizen, ya I'd think any superpowered individual was a mutant. How is being a freak different from being born a freak?

If they did that then there would be nothing special about being a mutant and there would be no difference between the X-Men and Avengers and such. THere would be no substance or plot to the X-Men struggles for peace or anything.

You Wa Shock!

Old Post May 29th, 2009 04:46 AM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Originally posted by SpyCspider

Mutants are naturally evolved from humans.

Mutates, are people who received their powers through other means. They undergo a genetic mutation, but they are not mutants.

So basically, one is natural, one isn't.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post May 29th, 2009 05:44 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpyCspider

Originally posted by Mindset
Mutants are naturally evolved from humans.

Mutates, are people who received their powers through other means. They undergo a genetic mutation, but they are not mutants.

So basically, one is natural, one isn't.

I hope you're going by Marvel's definition wink

Old Post May 29th, 2009 05:56 AM
SpyCspider is currently offline Click here to Send SpyCspider a Private Message Find more posts by SpyCspider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpyCspider

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
If they did that then there would be nothing special about being a mutant and there would be no difference between the X-Men and Avengers and such. THere would be no substance or plot to the X-Men struggles for peace or anything.

Exactly. That's why I understand Tactic's curiosity with the whole thing. There should be no reason why any normal Marvel human should fear the X-men for being different but think Ms. Marvel or the FF are ok. They're all "freaks."

Old Post May 29th, 2009 06:01 AM