KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Abrams' Star Trek (2009) - Spoilers...

Abrams' Star Trek (2009) - Spoilers...
Started by: CadoAngelus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

Gender: Male
Location: Seireitei

Abrams' Star Trek (2009) - Spoilers...

I watched the new Star Trek film the other week and thought it was fantastic...but being brought up with Star Trek as a whole, I couldn't help but pick up on the seriousness of what Abrams has done to Star Trek.

Abrams has re-birthed Star Trek in a way that will widen the fan base tenfold and give room for so much to work with...not only did i realize that, but the actual story has changed Star Trek as we know it...

Neros arrival in 2233 and the destruction of the USS Kelvin made most aspects of TOS defunct.

Originally, James T. Kirk's father lived to see him make the rank of captain, in this, George Kirk is killed...changing Kirk childhood, meaning, Kirk can be rebuilt in a new - and less Shatner dictated - light.

Spock Prime's clash with Young Spock meant that Zach Quintins rendition of Spock could be prone to more emotionally orientated decisions.

All of the crews birth dates are changed - apart from Scotty's and McCoy's - as well as the initial construction of the Enterprise. Everything happened a hell of a lot quicker in the new film time line than the TOS time line.

And i'm sorry to say, that we may never see the likes of TNG, Voyager and DS9 again - apart from in re-runs...


__________________


CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2009 02:53 PM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

TNG, DS9 at their best > Abrams' Star Trek.

it is an alternate universe, after all.


__________________

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2009 04:08 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Captain's Chair, CA

Re: Abrams' Star Trek (2009) - Spoilers...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
And i'm sorry to say, that we may never see the likes of TNG, Voyager and DS9 again - apart from in re-runs...


Wouldn't be so sure about that, since Abrams' reboot did so well, it's highly possible that it will spurn a new television series, they know the audience for it is there.

Now, what the series will be, in what time-period and reality, I wouldn't know.


__________________


You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2009 10:50 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Gender: Male
Location: The Batcave

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Wouldn't be so sure about that, since Abrams' reboot did so well, it's highly possible that it will spurn a new television series, they know the audience for it is there.

Now, what the series will be, in what time-period and reality, I wouldn't know.



i have always hoped that a new Trek tv series would continue to take place in the 24th century


__________________



Thanks Steve... The Darkside of the force...

Old Post Jun 4th, 2009 12:37 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

Gender: Male
Location: Seireitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i have always hoped that a new Trek tv series would continue to take place in the 24th century


Well it was announced about a month before the theater release of Star Trek that a second film was going to be made...there is talk of a tv series, but nothing is official...as for the future of the since altered time line, anything is possible


__________________


CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2009 12:47 AM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kinneary
Ex scientia tridens

Gender: Male
Location: Great Lakes, IL

I don't think they'll do a reboot TV series. The new movie has been described as an alternate reality, not a new timeline, so the old series are still valid. The movie just takes place in another universe, sort of like the Mirror Universe.


__________________
In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the Anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during an interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Old Post Jun 4th, 2009 01:06 AM
Kinneary is currently offline Click here to Send Kinneary a Private Message Find more posts by Kinneary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

Gender: Male
Location: Seireitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kinneary
I don't think they'll do a reboot TV series. The new movie has been described as an alternate reality, not a new timeline, so the old series are still valid. The movie just takes place in another universe, sort of like the Mirror Universe.


Alternate Reality - New Time Line...same thing effectively. But you're right, it ties in very briefly with Star Trek Prime (as it's now been donned).

Everything from Enterprise still applies, everything from what we remember and love doesn't...


__________________


CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2009 01:40 AM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Gender: Male
Location: The Batcave

quote: (post)
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
Well it was announced about a month before the theater release of Star Trek that a second film was going to be made...there is talk of a tv series, but nothing is official...as for the future of the since altered time line, anything is possible


I've known that as well stick out tongue


__________________



Thanks Steve... The Darkside of the force...

Old Post Jun 4th, 2009 03:13 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kinneary
Ex scientia tridens

Gender: Male
Location: Great Lakes, IL

quote: (post)
Originally posted by CadoAngelus
Alternate Reality - New Time Line...same thing effectively. But you're right, it ties in very briefly with Star Trek Prime (as it's now been donned).

Everything from Enterprise still applies, everything from what we remember and love doesn't...

I disagree. The movie is referred to as an Alternate Reality as far as, say, Memory Alpha goes. We've never seen an alternate timeline from a wormhole before, so it stands to reason that its an alternate reality. The franchise wouldn't erase what's gone before, so that's close enough to canon as you could want. Picard, Sisko and Janeway still happened, there's just another universe out there where the timeline has changed.


__________________
In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the Anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during an interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America , he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Old Post Jun 4th, 2009 03:38 AM
Kinneary is currently offline Click here to Send Kinneary a Private Message Find more posts by Kinneary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

Gender: Male
Location: Seireitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kinneary
I disagree. The movie is referred to as an Alternate Reality as far as, say, Memory Alpha goes. We've never seen an alternate timeline from a wormhole before, so it stands to reason that its an alternate reality. The franchise wouldn't erase what's gone before, so that's close enough to canon as you could want. Picard, Sisko and Janeway still happened, there's just another universe out there where the timeline has changed.


Well, to be honest, if we're going to discuss the effects of time lines being altered by something then how do we know that the Prime time line that we follow is even the original...

There's been more alternate realities in Star Trek then hairs on my head...and everytime the time line is corrected, yes we never see it again, but it still happened, and how do we know that the solution they used to solve the dilemma even put them back in their original reality. Quantum physics is a very difficult subject to discuss when it comes to a franchise that uses it as one of its key factors on a regular basis...

However, I do agree. Prime reality that we've followed for the last god knows how many years is still technically "existent".


__________________


CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2009 10:01 AM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 06:20 PM.
  Last Thread   Next Thread

Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Abrams' Star Trek (2009) - Spoilers...

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.