KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Final Fantasy XIV Online

Final Fantasy XIV Online
Started by: S_D_J

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Abel
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think I'm just gonna stick with FFXI. Still haven't come close to playing through all of the story material, plus based on the stuff I've heard about XIV I have a feeling I wouldn't like it anywhere near as much as XI.

quote:
It's to do with the fact that MMOs are not designed for using a controller - they're designed to be played with a keyboard and mouse, and you really do need those in order to be able to play one.

Funnily enough FFXI happens to be the exception to this rule. Aside from using a keyboard for chatting and stuff, the game's designed entirely to be played using a controller, and using the keyboard and mouse makes for some very awkward controls. The vast majority of people who play it on the PC use a usb controller and completely ditch the mouse for that very reason.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2010 01:40 PM
Abel is currently offline Click here to Send Abel a Private Message Find more posts by Abel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eyron Aplits
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anybody else started playing this yet?

Old Post Sep 25th, 2010 02:13 PM
Eyron Aplits is currently offline Click here to Send Eyron Aplits a Private Message Find more posts by Eyron Aplits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I have a friend that played in the beta. Combat was changed up to a more action oriented style. Had generally good things to say about it in other regards as well.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 25th, 2010 at 03:44 PM

Old Post Sep 25th, 2010 03:40 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

I really want to get into MMOs but I just got to much to do, to let my life get suck into then...

I really want to give this game a try though

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 03:24 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Supposedly, FFXIV isn't the massive time sink that FFXI is. I don't know how accomodating it is for players new to MMO's in general though.

They will have a free trial, so you could try that.

Last edited by StyleTime on Sep 26th, 2010 at 04:35 PM

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 04:32 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

Since I just got a new gaming-friendly rig, I might as well try it

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 02:16 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eyron Aplits
Restricted

Account Restricted

Play on Selbina and join The Order Of The Apollo Cloud when you do. : D

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 01:37 PM
Eyron Aplits is currently offline Click here to Send Eyron Aplits a Private Message Find more posts by Eyron Aplits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

quote: (post)
Originally posted by S_D_J
just announced

Do you have to pay to play?

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 01:07 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General Kaliero
F = ma, beeyotches.

I thought this was an interesting read.

quote:
First I signed up for a Square Enix account. Then I registered my Final Fantasy XIV service. Then I added my registration code. Then I set up a basic $9.99 a month subscription. Then I added an additional $3.00 a month for the one character I wished to play. You can add additional characters for $3.00 each per month.

That puts me off immediately.

WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological damage sustained is purely your fault.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 01:37 PM
General Kaliero is currently offline Click here to Send General Kaliero a Private Message Find more posts by General Kaliero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by General Kaliero
I thought this was an interesting read.

That puts me off immediately.

You said it chief. I think I'll pass on this one. The funds that these companies generate in sales, and web hits should alone justify playing for free. I see another big fail for the FF camp.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 01:42 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

It was like that with FFXI, too. You get one character in the base per month fee, and then had to pay extra per month for each new character.

(as ever, GW does it better stick out tongue)

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 02:55 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Good god, really?!

That's simply a racket.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 03:05 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

"I can't believe you guys are such haters. It's the beauty and majesty of Japanese story telling that is worth the price!"

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 03:09 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Good god, really?!

That's simply a racket.

Yep. That's the sort of thing that seriously sucks if you're like me and want to have one of every available class.

Well, it sucks and is ridiculous period, and I can't see many people really wanting to play more than one character because of it. I know I got annoyed when trying out FFXI because I wanted to try out a second character but couldn't without paying for it, even though I was playing a trial.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 03:09 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

They might not pay here, but I bet it is calculated to squeeze money from the target market in Asia. Geez.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 03:11 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Oh, most likely.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 03:14 PM
Recator
Restricted

Account Restricted

[context]Well given that they designed it so that a single character is all that's required to do everything the game has to offer, including trying out all of the classes (a feature Peach apparently missed) and the different starting areas and switching between them without losing your progress in any individual one etc., with the vast majority of the quests and missions repeatable, with the rest easily available for viewing via the wikia in both readable and video format, and all the cutscenes available for further views in game, having the single character is all that you would really ever want. If anything, with a player's reputation tied to the single character, it did its best to eliminate the existence of players who would go on to create another character to hide their identity and troll different users and chat areas, such as you get in the likes of WoW (I would know, I was one of them), where it's likely that the FFXI community wouldn't be what it is today which is quite easily the most friendly, pleasent and helpful MMO community there is on the market. That players might still wish to do something completely unnecessary and create another character, and in doing so do their part in using up the game's server space, then I don't see how it's anything but reasonable that SE would charge them extra for doing so.[/context]

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 09:25 PM
Recator is currently offline Click here to Send Recator a Private Message Find more posts by Recator Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Wow, that was fast ban. After reading the link and watching the video I can agree that this looks like a bad game. The combat video was boring as **** and I raised my brow when one reply said that the game (or if XI is anything to go by anyway) is shit until you get to level 50. Thats ellipses not a defence, thats a pretty bad design flaw.

And its not unnecessary. What if someone wants to not be a catgirl anymore, be an....ugly elf knock-off instead, huh? Or just want to re-play it as a new character, work his way up again? Theres more to the game than classes. Players shouldn't be penalised for wanting to play the game more. Thats just retarded.

Last edited by Nephthys on Sep 28th, 2010 at 09:49 PM

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 09:46 PM
Nephthys is currently offline Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phanteros
the Shade knight

Crap MMO. going to to pass on this one. The restrictions aren't just worth it. Penalizing people just to play it more rathan rewarding them?

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 09:48 PM
Phanteros is currently offline Click here to Send Phanteros a Private Message Find more posts by Phanteros Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And for those wondering- there are some twice as many characters in FFXI as there are players. Cash bonanza for the makers!

And I understand the cost for extra slots in XIV will be triple that of XI. Classy!

BtVS

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 09:59 PM