KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Question - Did the New Star Trek Movie Ruin the Old Storyline?

Question - Did the New Star Trek Movie Ruin the Old Storyline?
Started by: jcvaldez

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stargeek27

I would would say no because I'm a fan of the origional series, TNG and Voyager. This new star trek movie was great and I really enjoyed it. Atleast in my opinion, it really made up for insurection and nemisis which were big time flopps. Star trek went down the hill after First Contact and now with this new reboot, I think star trek has been reborn. Just one question though, is kirk back for good now because of a fan movment that was trying to bring him back? I would hope so because it would be great to see him in the 24th century.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2009 03:51 AM
Stargeek27 is currently offline Click here to Send Stargeek27 a Private Message Find more posts by Stargeek27 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

It's going to take them a while to reach the 24th century.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2009 04:09 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Just wish they could alter the time line so star trek 5,7,9 and 10 were never made. I don't own any of those. and make it so kirk doesn't die like a panzy.

Old Post Sep 8th, 2009 09:23 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mardook
Easier said than done!

Angry

The only thing this movie and the series Enterprise did was ruin the Vulcans. They are portrayed as arrogany ****s. You could expect the Vulcan children to be assholes since they have not gone through the disciplinary art of muting their emotions or whatever its called, but the rest of those Vulcan elders were dicks. I imagine this was done so Sylar/Spock can get with Uhura. Boo hiss! The rest of the movie looked great though, the script was meh with a lot of great action... logic and respect for science was thrown out the window. Take for instance our heroes diving into the Vulcan atmosphere and not vaporizing from friction with the atmosphere or the fact that ships are able to fly in and out of black holes without being damaged whereas a planet is comsumed in minutes. Hire a ****ing science adviser for ****s sake!!!

Old Post Oct 6th, 2009 09:53 AM
mardook is currently offline Click here to Send mardook a Private Message Find more posts by mardook Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Budada

As they've said, all the commotion in the new movie were an alternate universe, so no.

I don't know why trekkies seem to hate the new movie. It could be that it does not have much relation to the old one, but what's so bad about watching an action & adventure science fiction film with alot of effects and an understandable screenplay in it?
What's the fuss all about.

Of course I hated the Spock=Uhura thing for shi*, but the rest of the film was fine.

Old Post Jan 24th, 2010 01:33 AM
Budada is currently offline Click here to Send Budada a Private Message Find more posts by Budada Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

What I think might ruin it, is if in the 3rd and hopefully final film, is they somehow make the story slot back into the original timeline.

I don't want that. I want an alternate timeline, like a good Kahn, or some sort of Klingon destruction.

Something completely different to the original timeline.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 12:15 AM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CadoAngelus
Zanpakuto

quote: (post)
Originally posted by mardook
[B]The only thing this movie and the series Enterprise did was ruin the Vulcans. They are portrayed as arrogany ****s. You could expect the Vulcan children to be assholes since they have not gone through the disciplinary art of muting their emotions or whatever its called, but the rest of those Vulcan elders were dicks.

They've always seemed like an arrogant race to me. Spock constantly telling Kirk everything he does is "illogical". Sarek trying to hide his emotion - in TNG - when it's obvious that he's coming into a part of his Vulcan life where emotion is unavoidable (Bendii Syndrome). T'Pol was arrogant because humans - as far as the Vulcans were concerned were too young when it came to space travel. Spock in the new Star Trek was simply more open to emotion because in the new universe, something happened that made that Spock didn't do the emotion purging ritual.

quote:
I imagine this was done so Sylar/Spock can get with Uhura. Boo hiss!

What JJ Abrams was trying to make clear is the fact that the original script in TOS was written so that Spock had a romantic involvement with Uhura, unfortunately for Lenard Nimoy, Will Shatner decided he wanted to kiss Nichelle Nichols so changed the script.

quote:
The rest of the movie looked great though, the script was meh with a lot of great action... logic and respect for science was thrown out the window.

It's Star Trek...all "science" used is theoretical at best, if not a stage behind that as far as science goes - it's probably not even regarded as fringe science.

quote:
Take for instance our heroes diving into the Vulcan atmosphere and not vaporizing from friction with the atmosphere

good point

quote:
or the fact that ships are able to fly in and out of black holes without being damaged whereas a planet is comsumed in minutes. Hire a ****ing science adviser for ****s sake!!!

the ships flew in and out of the blackholes, yes. The planet however, had a blackhole inside it. As is the case with the Nerada at the end of the film, the blackhole was inside the Nerada and it fell apart...

CadoAngelus - Savior, Conqueror, Hero, Villain.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 06:35 PM
CadoAngelus is currently offline Click here to Send CadoAngelus a Private Message Find more posts by CadoAngelus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

My main complaints were the airsoft phasers and Sulu fencing with a collapsible katana.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2010 10:38 PM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jack Daniels
WOW!

Re: Re: Question - Did the New Star Trek Movie Ruin the Old Storyline?

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Erased? No. They are now separate, and anything can happen in the new Star Trek world.

woohoo what do we call the new trek fans?..treksters?
edit: Im on board thought the movie was great! can I copyright that? I hereby claim that treksters as mine...lol...though Ill share just throw somw royalty $

I can't see straight will someone point me to the milkbar..?

Last edited by Jack Daniels on Jan 28th, 2010 at 08:21 PM

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 08:16 PM
Jack Daniels is currently offline Click here to Send Jack Daniels a Private Message Find more posts by Jack Daniels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
3Shelves

I loved the approach they took in rebooting the franchise. Both can coexist without harming each other.

I loved the recent film and can't wait for more.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2010 09:36 AM
3Shelves is currently offline Click here to Send 3Shelves a Private Message Find more posts by 3Shelves Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tom_servo

Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
My main complaints were the airsoft phasers and Sulu fencing with a collapsible katana.

I thought the collapsible katana was quite cool, actually. The new phaser design was ..eh.. I wasn't completely wowed by it, but I understood where they were going with it.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2010 05:09 PM
tom_servo is currently offline Click here to Send tom_servo a Private Message Find more posts by tom_servo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abu-Bactr

Good reboot.

Old Post May 28th, 2010 07:40 PM
Abu-Bactr is currently offline Click here to Send Abu-Bactr a Private Message Find more posts by Abu-Bactr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote