KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » Spider-Man Cartoons: Intensity and Maturity

Which Spider-Man cartoon do you think is the most dark, mature, and intense?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
The Spectacular Spider-Man 3 23.08%
Spider-Man: The Animated Series 9 69.23%
Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends 1 7.69%
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series 0 0%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spider-Man Cartoons: Intensity and Maturity
Started by: spidermanrocks

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
spidermanrocks

Spider-Man Cartoons: Intensity and Maturity

Which Spiderman cartoon so far do you think is the most intense, the most mature, and the most dark? In my opinion, I think it's the Spectacular Spider-Man. I know it looks as some children's show but it is actually very intense. I would say it is as dark as Justice League Unlimited and Batman Beyond. Here are some reasons why I think so:

1. Harry taking the "Globulin Green" drug and becoming addicted to it. A.K.A. drug addiction (something that was not allowed in dozens of shows)
2. Using the word "kill" instead of "destroy". It also uses words like "destroy" but if I remember correctly, it also uses "kill" and "squash" a lot.
3. The dialogue is very mature. It's dialogue is similar to the dialogues in JLU and Batman: TAS (especially in the episode "Shear Strength"). Plus, in one episode I heard Captain George Stacy saying the F word. And it wasn't censored.
4. Using real guns with real bullets - most of the Spider-Man cartoons have had laser guns while this show uses real guns.
5. Breaking glass - In many other shows, Spider-Man wasn't allowed to break any glass windows.
6. The fights are very intense. The fights are as intense as the fights in Batman Beyond and JLU especially in season 2. In my opinion, these fights in season 2: Spidey vs Venom, Spidey vs GG, Spidey vs Hammerhead vs Silver Sable, and the final battle of the gang war were very intense. I remember spidey being really injured and GG even ripped most of his costume into pieces in the final episode.
7. Deaths - Most spiderman cartoons (and many other cartoons as well; not necesarily related to spiderman) were not allowed to have any death scenes. Spectacular Spider-Man had its first death in the final episode - Norman Osborn. Although he faked his death, he had a funeral and the whole world considers him dead plus he was revealed to be alive only after his funeral so I would say that counts as a kill.

That's why I think Spectacular Spider-Man is the most intense and most mature show up to date.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 03:01 AM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

I wonder what's gonna happen to Gwen. I dont think they'll just let Green Goblin kill her. Although he did kill some guy when he first appeared, they didn't show it well but Osborn smashed his head through a wll.
As for which is the darkest one its deffinitely the 90s show. A lot of things happened there. MJ disappeared and Peter thought she was dead for a while. Mysterio getting blown up and dying. Venom turning into a hero and getting sucked into a portal to spend the rest of his life with Carnage and Dormamu etc

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 08:32 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SamZED
I wonder what's gonna happen to Gwen. I dont think they'll just let Green Goblin kill her. Although he did kill some guy when he first appeared, they didn't show it well but Osborn smashed his head through a wll.
As for which is the darkest one its deffinitely the 90s show. A lot of things happened there. MJ disappeared and Peter thought she was dead for a while. Mysterio getting blown up and dying. Venom turning into a hero and getting sucked into a portal to spend the rest of his life with Carnage and Dormamu etc

Maybe like the Ult version, Carnage will kill her, they do plan on doing "dark dvd's" after the 65 episode run. (This is of course if Disney is interested in picking up the show now.)

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 10:15 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evil SeeD
Black Shadow

=)

I am the evil Seed...The seed that went Wrong... The seed that spread horror...The seed that was Never meant to be......

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2009 06:38 PM
Evil SeeD is currently offline Click here to Send Evil SeeD a Private Message Find more posts by Evil SeeD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

i wish they added more episodes to the 2003 spiderman series. there where only 13 episodes but i think they where pretty good. the 3D animation kicked ass in HD. if you watch one of the episodes on dvd in HD its amazing compared to watching one of the episdodes on tv.

but out of all the spiderman series i have to give it to spiderman the animated series.

if they where to have the characters and same story lines from the animated series with the 3D animation from the 2003 series that would be the best cartoon ever.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 05:29 PM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Ididnt like that 3d animation all that much. Also i love spectacular Spider-man, but i still say that the art is crap.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2009 05:49 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ididnt like that 3d animation all that much. Also i love spectacular Spider-man, but i still say that the art is crap.
the downfall with the 3D animation series is that there werent alot of his popular enemies that you would see more often in the comics like venom or carnage green goblin. if the series kept on going it would have been more popular. i didnt like art at all with spectacular spider-man they made spideys head look like a triangle.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2009 04:43 PM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
harri
I may be a geek

I have grown uo with Spiderman:the animated series so i am inclined to go for the animated series. Have not seen so much of spectacular but iv'e heard it is very popular.

Old Post Jul 11th, 2009 03:28 PM
harri is currently offline Click here to Send harri a Private Message Find more posts by harri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arahan
Silver Guy

Spectacular Spiderman. Dont let yourself fooled by the art style.
The stories are more intense and mature than the other
Series. And the action, damn the action is great big grin

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 07:59 PM
Arahan is currently offline Click here to Send Arahan a Private Message Find more posts by Arahan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix2001

While I'll agree that the 90s series is probably much darker, I'm inclined to say that Spectacular Spider-Man series is much more intense and mature. The animation rocks in Spectacular Spider-Man, regardless of how cartoony it may look, and the action is non-stop, which I like a lot. The way the story is processed through the episodes is done extremely well, better even than in the 90s series by staying caught up with the main plots and making sure the characters are properly developed. Much more content seems to be allowed as well, which makes for a pretty top notch Spider-Man series to follow.

Last edited by Phoenix2001 on Jul 13th, 2009 at 08:21 PM

Old Post Jul 13th, 2009 08:16 PM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidermanrocks

Good points, everyone. But I've noticed that a few people are comparing the 2 shows. Remember that we're not looking for the best spidey show but for the darkest spidey show.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 12:35 AM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Its either TAS or unlimited. The whole being stranded on another planet thing was depressing..

Old Post Jul 16th, 2009 08:47 PM
spidermanrocks

Originally posted by spidermanrocks
Good points, everyone. But I've noticed that a few people are comparing the 2 shows. Remember that we're not looking for the best spidey show but for the darkest spidey show.

I remember crying when I was a little kid at the sad ending of Spider-Man Unlimited where Spider-Man remained on that planet forever. I agree. It was really depressing.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 04:56 AM
spidermanrocks

Oops, my bad. I quoted the wrong comment. sorry.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 04:57 AM
spidermanrocks

Its either TAS or unlimited. The whole being stranded on another planet thing was depressing..

I remember crying when I was a little kid at the sad ending of Spider-Man Unlimited where Spider-Man remained on that planet forever. I agree. It was really depressing.

There we go. Fixed! I'm a little clumsy sometime.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 04:58 AM