KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Moon

Moon
Started by: =Tired Hiker=

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
dadudemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
How are District 9 and Moon all that comparable; apples and oranges my friend.

quote:
My coworker gave it very high marks saying it was the best film of the year. Doesn't even come close, to me. Pretty much better "everything" in District 9.
meaning, it (Moon) is not the best movie of the year. erm And, quite literally, there's better everything in District 9.

2. It's not even close to being "apples and oranges". They are both Sci Fi.

Anyway, I like Moon better if we're comparing them. And try using spoiler tags for the sake of other people dude! Moon wasn't about a plot twist, considering they "revealed" it like halfway through the movie, that's one reason I liked it. It didn't rely on a twist, like say, The Sixth Sense does.

Why do I need to use spoiler tags for a film that's been out on DVD for quite some time now? Also, there's hardly any traffic in this thread, as is.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2010 09:45 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

I just didn't want it to be spoiled for other people, that's all. And it came out on dvd last week...

As far as that comparison, I know they're both sci-fi, but they've very different films. They don't aim to accomplish the same things, etc.

Moon had a better score and better acting, there's two things right there that are better in my opinion. Not saying Sharlto Copley was bad in District 9, he was quite good, but Rockwell was better. And the score for District 9 was forgettable. Mansell's Moon score is amazing.

And personally, Moon was more emotionally resonant.

Love both movies though.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jan 19th, 2010 10:59 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The acting in Moon was beyond anything seen in District 9. As was the thoughtfulness.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2010 06:19 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I just didn't want it to be spoiled for other people, that's all. And it came out on dvd last week...

Really? I thought it had been out since like October. My bad, homie.

As far as that comparison, I know they're both sci-fi, but they've very different films. They don't aim to accomplish the same things, etc.

While I agree, they are both Sci Fi.

Moon had a better score and better acting, there's two things right there that are better in my opinion. Not saying Sharlto Copley was bad in District 9, he was quite good, but Rockwell was better. And the score for District 9 was forgettable. Mansell's Moon score is amazing.

And personally, Moon was more emotionally resonant.

Love both movies though.

I don't remember the score from either film standing out. And, I liked Copley's acting better. It seemed more "real" to me. A good movie has to make me forget that it's a bunch of actors doing their lines. I didn't think that at all in District 9, but thought it several times in Moon. Wait, I take that back: in District 9, the second time Wikus talks to his wife AFTER she was told the lies by her father, I remember thinking on one of the lines, "that could have been done better."

Old Post Jan 21st, 2010 08:05 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
District 9 was forgettable. Mansell's Moon score is amazing.

Both good scores, District 9 was hardly forgettable in the music department, wonderful score.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2010 06:57 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Moon has better acting and score. District 9 is way more entertaining which I like better and it also has a good score and acting. Moon was boring at times.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2010 08:18 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Originally posted by dadudemon
Really? I thought it had been out since like October. My bad, homie.

While I agree, they are both Sci Fi.

I don't remember the score from either film standing out. And, I liked Copley's acting better. It seemed more "real" to me. A good movie has to make me forget that it's a bunch of actors doing their lines. I didn't think that at all in District 9, but thought it several times in Moon. Wait, I take that back: in District 9, the second time Wikus talks to his wife AFTER she was told the lies by her father, I remember thinking on one of the lines, "that could have been done better."

It sounds to me like you simply enjoyed District 9 a lot more, which is totally cool, but I just disagree with you when you say stuff like "Everything in District 9 was better than everything in Moon." That's a little ridiculous imo.

Originally posted by MildPossession
Both good scores, District 9 was hardly forgettable in the music department, wonderful score.

Well, I certainly forgot it. Whereas with Moon, I had the score going through my head on the drive home, where I downloaded it immediately. A while later I actually downloaded District 9's score because I had no recollection of how it sounded and once I started listening I kind of remembered why I'd.... not remembered it. It was fitting for the movie and it wasn't BAD, but not at all memorable. It didn't transcend the film like Mansell's score.

Originally posted by The Nuul
Moon has better acting and score. District 9 is way more entertaining which I like better and it also has a good score and acting. Moon was boring at times.

Yeah, I think a lot of people felt this way.

Old Post Jan 21st, 2010 09:39 PM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

It sounds to me like you simply enjoyed District 9 a lot more, which is totally cool, but I just disagree with you when you say stuff like "Everything in District 9 was better than everything in Moon." That's a little ridiculous imo.

That's a tad odd coming from the same person that just got done telling me this is all opinion; but, if you prefer it, I'll be very specific for you:

Color: D9
Lighting: D9
CGI Animation/Visual Effects: D9
Sound: D9
Music: neither stood out

Story: D9
Acting: D9
Character development: D9
Character Interaction: D9
Character realism: D9
Emotional Impact of the film: D9

Setting: D9
Inovation: D9
Fictional Tech in the movie: D9
Unique Flora and Fauna (usually applies to Sci Fi): D9 (nothing unique in Moon)
Wow Factor: D9
Camera Angles/Use: D9
Re-watchability: D9

Well, I certainly forgot it. Whereas with Moon, I had the score going through my head on the drive home, where I downloaded it immediately. A while later I actually downloaded District 9's score because I had no recollection of how it sounded and once I started listening I kind of remembered why I'd.... not remembered it. It was fitting for the movie and it wasn't BAD, but not at all memorable. It didn't transcend the film like Mansell's score.

Neither score stuck out to me.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 05:08 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Moon contained essentially one actor carrying a film on his own, and he still turned in a better, more captivating performance than any other actor or actress in 2009, and a lot of other years.

District 9 is good, but massively overrated. That and whilst I don't require Shakespearean script, it's a little cheap to just say "****" at every other interval.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 06:23 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was fOOk, not *uc*. It's seen as a far milder form over there apparently. I know what you mean though, even though it wasn't *uc*, it was still quite grating, used a lot.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 07:22 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

That's a tad odd coming from the same person that just got done telling me this is all opinion; but, if you prefer it, I'll be very specific for you:

Very strongly disagree with almost every single one of those, outside of CGI/visual stuff.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2010 11:49 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Yep; ridiculous.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2010 01:47 AM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Forgetting all the other stuff, how does D9 beat Moon in innovation?

I can't say I've ever seen many movies do the whole one man cast thing. The innovation in Moon was that, to push the idea of loneliness, they literally made him more or less the only person in the movie.

How many have EVER done that?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Jan 26th, 2010 01:58 AM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Are those all equal, or is there one that is more important in your opinion than another?

Old Post Jan 26th, 2010 03:28 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Finally saw Moon. Really loved it. I thought from the previews it would be more psychological based than sci-fi, but still very interesting with great acting.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2010 08:54 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Forgetting all the other stuff, how does D9 beat Moon in innovation?

I can't say I've ever seen many movies do the whole one man cast thing. The innovation in Moon was that, to push the idea of loneliness, they literally made him more or less the only person in the movie.

How many have EVER done that?

-AC

There's nothing new in moon.

Whereas D9 goes the opposite of "alien sympathy" in sci-fi. It's not sympathy from a human to an alien: it's forced sympathy because a human turns into an alien. Rather weird, actually.

And, there's lots of movies that have one man with the vast majority of the screen time...and probably even ones with just one man/woman.

Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Moon contained essentially one actor carrying a film on his own, and he still turned in a better, more captivating performance than any other actor or actress in 2009, and a lot of other years.

District 9 is good, but massively overrated. That and whilst I don't require Shakespearean script, it's a little cheap to just say "****" at every other interval.

-AC

I missed this.

I thought D9 was massively underrated. Not nearly as many people saw this as should have. I think it's scores should be about a point higher about everywhere. I want more films that are new and refreshing like D9. Not this recycled attempt at being unique in Sci-Fi drama. For anyone that wants to watch moon, don't waste your time: watch Solaris instead. (not the same, bla bla, waa waaa.)

Last edited by dadudemon on Feb 5th, 2010 at 09:08 PM

Old Post Feb 5th, 2010 08:54 PM
Bardock42

Which Solaris?

Old Post Feb 5th, 2010 09:40 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm hoping the original.

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 11:40 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

That, or watch Moon.

Dadudemon liked Epic Movie. If you wanna listen to the guy, go for it.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 03:14 AM
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I finally saw Moon a few weeks ago and forgot to come here to post my thoughts on it. So here's my thoughts: Really good film. Really good.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2010 11:38 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote