KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » The Dark Knight vs Watchmen

Which is the better film?
This poll is closed.
The Dark Knight 19 79.17%
Watchmen 5 20.83%
Total: 24 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Dark Knight vs Watchmen
Started by: Darth Martin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Martin

The Dark Knight vs Watchmen

Here is where you can post your opinions on this topic, because frankly, we all know they are the two biggest hitters. Keep it clean, lets not bicker, but hopefully there can be some good discussion over this.

Before I thought The Dark Knight was the best film of the genre. But after viewing the DC of Watchmen I find myself seriously reconsidering my opinion.

What do you think? Has Watchmen dethroned The Dark Knight as the best film of the genre? If you think neither of these films are as great as I state then state your top and state where these two compare.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 12:36 AM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Premo
Restricted

Account Restricted

TDK was brilliant the Watchmen was pretty good.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 12:37 AM
Premo is currently offline Click here to Send Premo a Private Message Find more posts by Premo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Indestructible
The Power House

Aw dude this is a good question. I loved both TDK and Watchmen alot. Favorite Character in TDK?: The Joker. Favorite Character in Watchmen?: Rorshach. Least Favorite Character in TDK?: Dont have one. Least Favorite Character in Watchmen?: Silk Spectre I(IDK she is really annoying to me. Not like she was in the book). I give my vote to TDK for that sole purpose

Fav Villians: The Joker, Red Skull, The Riddler, Two-Face, Bane, Ozymandias, Magneto, Doc Ock, Venom, Carnage, Pyro, Blob, Avalache, Toad, Sabertooth, Green Goblin

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 12:55 AM
Indestructible is currently offline Click here to Send Indestructible a Private Message Find more posts by Indestructible Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

i didnt like the watchment that much. i guess because i dont know alot about the characters cause i never read their comis maybe. the movie was long as hell to

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 01:02 AM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Watchmen is much better as a graphic novel..

I did like the movie, but it is not all that it is cracked up to be..

The Dark Knight is leaps and bounds waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Watchmen

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 04:23 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Premium
TDK was brilliant the Watchmen was pretty good.

That sums it up.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 03:01 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
The Dark Knight is leaps and bounds waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Watchmen
I disagree. I watched both The Dark Knight and Watchmen: Directors Cut last night and it may be b/c I've tired out of TDK but I enjoyed Watchmen a hell of alot more.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 05:22 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

Watchmen was just another comic book movie.

It was really fun, but it wasn't an out-of-this-world cinematic accomplishment. The Dark Knight was.

Part of Watchmen's failings was the fact that it had a set source. Batman didn't. Watchmen being as unfaithful as it was is precisely a main reason why it didn't work.

I thought most of the cast were unfitting, except Dreiberg and maybe Comedian. Too much was cut out, too much was changed. Alan Moore did ten times more in a few issues of a comic than Hollywood could do with millions of dollars, multiple editions of DVD and C.G.I.

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 08:19 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Watchmen was the better book. TDK was the better movie, by quite a bit.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 08:22 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Darth Martin
I disagree. I watched both The Dark Knight and Watchmen: Directors Cut last night and it may be b/c I've tired out of TDK but I enjoyed Watchmen a hell of alot more.

I'll never tire out of The Dark Knight..

Too me Watchmen is a much better graphic novel that horribly plays like a movie.. I will buy the Watchmen DVD but will only watch it sparingly unlike TDK which I watch every other day

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Watchmen was the better book. TDK was the better movie, by quite a bit.

QFT

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 09:15 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

The Dark Knight SUCKED. Why they would upgrade Joker and not Batman I will never understand - the only reason people are turning it into a cult film is because that moron managed to kill himself in the process - a fact I am still celebrating about.

The Watchmen was PHENOMENAL - very close to the original story, with the paranoid atmosphere of the 80s and the Cold War perfectly slipped into background.

Not even a close contest...

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 04:29 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Originally posted by Dreampanther
The Dark Knight SUCKED. Why they would upgrade Joker and not Batman I will never understand - the only reason people are turning it into a cult film is because that moron managed to kill himself in the process - a fact I am still celebrating about.
sick

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 05:11 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

The Watchmen was PHENOMENAL - very close to the original story, with the paranoid atmosphere of the 80s and the Cold War perfectly slipped into background.

confused

You were hypnotized by the giant blue wang weren't you?

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 05:18 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Watchmen is the better comic book movie, while TDK is more like a crime drama.

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 05:27 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

To SC:

Umm, actually - since Watchmen is still the only graphic novel even rated on Time Magazine's 100 best novels published in the English language since 1923, and since the producers actually made a real effort to keep close to the original story of the man who ACTUALLY WROTE THE ORIGINAL NOVEL, I think I might not be the only one blinded by some moron's inabilty to control his lifestyle, resulting in his death.

In the words of the immortal Bill Hicks - "Hey, another moron is dead - I feel like dancing!" Why should I pity an idiot who abuses drugs and dies from it? Simply pathetic...

I love the Dark Knight graphic novels - they are still two of my favourite stories ever told and two of my favourite graphic novels in my collection- and I think Frank Miller is an absolute genius - but the film was completely unbalanced, with no effort made to recreate the Batman that Frank Miller envisioned.

So, if all you can remember about Watchmen is that there was a giant blue wang - do you suppose it is possible that YOU are the one with the homo-erotic fascination...?

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 05:34 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

To SC:

Umm, actually - since Watchmen is still the only graphic novel even rated on Time Magazine's 100 best novels published in the English language since 1923, and since the producers actually made a real effort to keep close to the original story of the man who ACTUALLY WROTE THE ORIGINAL NOVEL,

That has nothing to do with the quality of the Watchmen movie which stuck me as mediocre at best. What's the point of judging something on things other than it's own merits?

Watchmen tried (and failed) to stay true to it's source material. TDK too the much wiser route of not basing it self on much of anything and putting together a very good piece of cinematography.

I think I might not be the only one blinded by some moron's inabilty to control his lifestyle, resulting in his death.

In the words of the immortal Bill Hicks - "Hey, another moron is dead - I feel like dancing!" Why should I pity an idiot who abuses drugs and dies from it? Simply pathetic...

Who cares if he's dead, though? Ledger played a brilliant Joker.

I love the Dark Knight graphic novels - they are still two of my favourite stories ever told and two of my favourite graphic novels in my collection- and I think Frank Miller is an absolute genius - but the film was completely unbalanced, with no effort made to recreate the Batman that Frank Miller envisioned.

So you're outright ignoring the movie itself when you judge the quality of the movie? That's crazy.

So, if all you can remember about Watchmen is that there was a giant blue wang - do you suppose it is possible that YOU are the one with the homo-erotic fascination...?

Possibly except that I have no real sex drive to begin with. I was simply trying to come up with a lighthearted reason that you might judge the Watchmen movie (which is what we're actually talking about) as being a better movie (see that word again) than the Dark Knight movie (third time).

Although you're welcome to your opinion the reasoning you gave is terribly flawed at best.

A juvenal prank.

Last edited by Symmetric Chaos on Jul 24th, 2009 at 07:15 PM

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 07:12 PM
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

So you're outright ignoring the movie itself when you judge the quality of the movie? That's crazy.

[/B]

Umm, no - I said the film was completely unbalanced - how is that ignoring the movie? Please...

Oh, and thank you, THANK YOU for your permission to have my own opinion... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 08:19 PM
Nihilist

Watchmen was the better movie. TDK was vastly overated, it was only on par with Batman begins.

Big thanks to Scythe

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 10:33 PM
Nihilist is currently offline Click here to Send Nihilist a Private Message Find more posts by Nihilist Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

confused

You were hypnotized by the giant blue wang weren't you?

If his appendage was your idea of "giant" then I think you're giving a lot about yourself away...

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Jul 24th, 2009 11:32 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by jaden101
If his appendage was your idea of "giant" then I think you're giving a lot about yourself away...

laughing out loud

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2009 12:41 AM