KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » Most Powerful LOTR character, Greatest

Most Powerful LOTR character, Greatest
Started by: SWblayde938

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Discos
The Discmeister

Good topic, but if you want to talk about the entire Arda then I will have to go with my man Tulkas. I big up this Lord so much, back in 2002/03 I used to have intense discussions in the pub with friends over this ass-kicker.

But in the actual Lord of the Rings series... I would say perhaps Bombadil (even tho not alot is said about the character).
Sauron was powerful, but when he is just the eye of sauron then he doesnt do much.
Witchking, Gandalf, Galadriel, Celeborn.... all good contenders

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Nov 1st, 2010 05:00 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Tom Bombadill.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2010 06:53 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

^^ great in-depth discussion.

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Nov 1st, 2010 10:33 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Birch_Tree

Greatest who were directly involved in lord of the rings.

1) Tom Bombadil and / or Goldberry. Tom is the master. Much mystery surrounds them, they could even be the great Valar Aule and Yavanna, they could be Maia, or even the personification of Arda or of the great Music. Their true strength is unknown, but It is hard not to give them a high ranking.

2) Sauron. Even without the ruling Ring he was extremely dangerous and powerful. He holds the nine rings and several of the three.

3) Galadriel... a elf maiden... Controversial placement. But the greatest of the high elves still remaining in middle earth. She has been building her power and contesting her will against Sauron - and keeping her mind shut to his. She was also able to capture the light of a Silmaril and trapped it in Frodo's star glass. "Three times Lorien had been assailed from Dol Guldur, but beside the valour of the elven people of that land, the power that dwelt there was too great for any to overcome , unless Sauron had come there himself".

4) Gandalf the white... Potentially more powerful then Galadriel, but his powers are still being limited under the guise of the Istari. He is there to advise, and bring hope not to openly confront the enemy.

5) Saurman the white... overcome and imprisoned Gandalf the Grey .Forged a copy of a ring of power.

6) Glorfindel... A powerful high elven lord, fought and killed a Balrog in the first age. In the appendices it is told how he lead the Elvish forces of Rivendell, the Havens and Lothlorien against the forces of the witch king in the battle of Fornost. The Witch-king fled before him. He was the most powerful of the few eleven lords left in Imladris , he is sent by Elrond in the direction that the Nazgûl are most likely to come, and even holds the Bridge of Mitheithel against several single-handedly.

7) Gandalf the Grey.. More of his powers were being with-held, but still able to defeat the Balrog of Moria. He also had one of the three elven rings.

8) Balrog of Moria. Fiery servant of Morgoth. A maiar which was corrupted to the will of morgoth during the singing of the great music.

9) Shelob. Hard to decide where to place her. Below the Balrog or above Sauron... Last of the brood of Ungoliant. Her brood are the great spiders of Mirkwood. She resides in Mordor but remains indepedent of Sauron and his infleunce. She was not afraid of the light of Eärendil because she has seen it before. She has probably tasted high elf. Due to her relative unimportance to the story, and the fact she got defeated by a enraged hobbit she only made number 9 on the list.

10) Elrond the half elven. A wise and powerful elven lord who kept the elven ring Vilya. He was decedent from Elves, Man and Maiar. The reason behind the low ranking is that his power is in wisdom and council more then open confrontation. One of the mighty rulers of old that remained in Middle Earth.

11) Radagast the brown. Maybe a bit of a pacifist and a coward. But still a Maia if one confined in the body of a old man like the other Istari.

12) Cirdan the shipwright. One of the oldest named elves in Middle-Earth and lord of the havens. He was able to see through the disguise of Annatar (Sauron) and refused him entry to the havens. While advising the elves at Eregion not to forge the rings of power. He recognized Gandalf to be the most wise and powerful of the Istari and gave him the elven ring Narya ""Take now this Ring," he said; "for thy labours and thy cares will be heavy, but in all it will support thee and defend thee from weariness. For this is the Ring of Fire, and herewith, maybe, thou shalt rekindle hearts to the valour of old in a world that grows chill"

13) Thundail, King of Rohan. For one brief moment, he was god-like. " Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young.". He was killed by no forces of Sauron, but by his own Steed, Snowmane a Mearas, decedent of Nahar, horse of the vala Oromë.

Other mentions: High elves in Rivendell and the Havens. Uncertain where they would place. The watcher in the lake outside Moria. The Witch-King (and other nazguls), the other human hero's (Aragorn, Eomer, Faramir, Boromoir, Denethor and prince imrahill), Legolas, Thranduil, Celeborn, Sons of Elrond and other elves of note. Gimli, Dáin II Ironfoot to represent the mighty among the dwarves. For raw physical power the Oliphaunts deserve a mention. Treebeard the leader of the Ents. Last but probably not less Gwaihir the Windlord, greatest of the eagles at the time of Lord of the Rings.

Old Post Apr 17th, 2011 09:27 PM
Birch_Tree is currently offline Click here to Send Birch_Tree a Private Message Find more posts by Birch_Tree Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
In all of Middle Earth's history? Besides Eru? Melkor, then Manwe. In just LotR? Sauron, maybe Bombadil, but he's never extrapolated on.

Greatest? I can't recall much from the books, but if the movies stuck somewhat close, then likely Gandalf, or Aragorn. Frodo can f*ck off.

There's the answer to this thread.

Originally posted by Birch_Tree
Greatest who were directly involved in lord of the rings.

1) Tom Bombadil and / or Goldberry. Tom is the master. Much mystery surrounds them, they could even be the great Valar Aule and Yavanna, they could be Maia, or even the personification of Arda or of the great Music. Their true strength is unknown, but It is hard not to give them a high ranking.

2) Sauron. Even without the ruling Ring he was extremely dangerous and powerful. He holds the nine rings and several of the three.

[...]

13) Thundail, King of Rohan. For one brief moment, he was god-like. " Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young.". He was killed by no forces of Sauron, but by his own Steed, Snowmane a Mearas, decedent of Nahar, horse of the vala Oromë.

Tom Bombadil is purposely mysterious, so...that whole debate is, in a way, pointless.

At the time of the books, I'd say that Sauron and Galadriel would be the most powerful forces...but Sauron more so, being a Maia. Bombadil's power is limited to the area of the Old Forest where he lives.

Who is Thundail? Théoden was actually killed by the Witch-king...and I don't really understand why you would place him above Aragorn, who is basically supposed to have been better than any other of "men," due to his strict Númenórean and royal heritage...

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 06:00 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

I think Bombadil is best left aside. I don't personally think he's uber powerful, no more than someone like Gandalf. He wasn't effected by the Ring because of who he was, not because he was so powerful.

There was discussion among the Council of Rivendell to give Bombadil the ring but I think it was Gandalf who pointed out that that was a bad idea on two counts, first Tom probably wouldn't care about the ring and just toss it aside for someone else to find and second because eventually Sauron's forces would come for him. That implies that he's not invincible, or at least the Council didn't think he was.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2011 06:30 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Birch_Tree

Originally posted by The Rover
There's the answer to this thread.

Who is Thundail? Théoden was actually killed by the Witch-king...and I don't really understand why you would place him above Aragorn, who is basically supposed to have been better than any other of "men," due to his strict Númenórean and royal heritage...

Looks like I had Thranduil on my mind when writing that, kind of a mysteriously merged version of Thranduil and Theoden I think embarrasment

For most of the book Aragorn is more powerful then Theoden. But look at how he was described in his moment of glory.... Only one other character in Tolkien universe gains a description of equal magnitude.

This is Theodens last ride.
quote:
but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and darkness was removed, and the hosts of Morder wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. .

I can not think of any other character in LOTR which even approaches such a mighty and valiant description, Any character which is described "even as Oromë the Great" deserves respect. You have to read the Simlarillion to find a equal description. Which was the last ride of Fingolfin probably the greatest elf King of the Noldor.

quote:
and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him, he passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates,.

Theoden was not killed by the Witch-King. The Witch-King did not even touch him.
quote:
The new morning was blotted from the sky. Dark fell about him. Horses reared and screamed. Men cast from the saddle lay groveling on the ground.
'To me! To me! cried Theoden. 'Up Eorlingas! Fear no Darkness!' But Snowmane wild with terror stood up on high, fighting with the air, and then with a great scream he crashed upon his side: a black dart had pierced him. The King fell beneath him

" Faithful servant yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane "

A quick note on Bombadil.

We also have this quote from I think Glorfindel
""soon or late the Lord of the Rings would learn of its hiding place and would bend all his power toward it. Could that power be defied by Bombadil alone? I think not. I think that in the end, if all else is conquered, Bombadil will fall, Last as he was First; and then Night will come.""

How much the wise truly know about Bombadil is a mystery. But assuming that Glordfindel was correct. "Last as he was first". He would survive after all good is defeated around him. He would be a isolated pocket in a sea of darkness. It sounds like it would take Arda united against him in darkness to finally break him.

While no time frame was giving, after Frodo summoned him his appearance at the barrow seemed instant.

There was a comment "Bombadil's power is limited to the area of the Old Forest where he lives." Yes that is true, but it is Tom who set the boundaries and there is no evidence to suggest that he could not shrink or increase those boundaries if he so choices.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 04:17 AM
Birch_Tree is currently offline Click here to Send Birch_Tree a Private Message Find more posts by Birch_Tree Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Looks like I had Thranduil on my mind when writing that, kind of a mysteriously merged version of Thranduil and Theoden I think embarrasment

[...]

For most of the book Aragorn is more powerful then Theoden. But look at how he was described in his moment of glory.... Only one other character in Tolkien universe gains a description of equal magnitude.

[...]

A quick note on Bombadil.

We also have this quote from I think Glorfindel
""soon or late the Lord of the Rings would learn of its hiding place and would bend all his power toward it. Could that power be defied by Bombadil alone? I think not. I think that in the end, if all else is conquered, Bombadil will fall, Last as he was First; and then Night will come.""

How much the wise truly know about Bombadil is a mystery. But assuming that Glordfindel was correct. "Last as he was first". He would survive after all good is defeated around him. He would be a isolated pocket in a sea of darkness. It sounds like it would take Arda united against him in darkness to finally break him.

[...]

There was a comment "Bombadil's power is limited to the area of the Old Forest where he lives." Yes that is true, but it is Tom who set the boundaries and there is no evidence to suggest that he could not shrink or increase those boundaries if he so choices.

I thought so, but I wanted to make sure. Sorry if I came across strong.

I think it's still safe to say that Théoden was killed by the Witch-king - the terror of the Nazgûl is what reared up Snowmane, after all, and allowed him to be hit...

I understand what you mean about Théoden, but you have to take it with a grain of salt: It's poëtic imagery. In all of Tolkien's works it's made very clear that people of Númenórean descent were wiser, stronger, etc. Aragorn just isn't portrayed in such a martial rôle because he'd already gone through that phase of his life and ended up choosing a more behind-the-scenes path...

I think you're reading too much into that one quote about Bombadil: What Glorfindel is saying is that he would fall to Sauron just as everything else would, although his little land might remain to the end. And I think it's implied that such a survival would be due mostly to his refraining from dealing with Sauron than any great power of his own.

The problem of Bombadil is addressed at the Council: According to the Wise, Bombadil simply doesn't care about all the issues at hand, he wouldn't "understand the need" to keep the Ring and hide it, nor to help everyone else, although he "might do so, if all the free folk of the world begged him."

Old Post Apr 19th, 2011 05:56 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Also I would undoubtedly rank Gandalf over Galadriel. When he returns he tells Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli that he is the most powerful being in Middle earth they will ever meet unless they meet Sauron himself.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2011 10:16 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leifi98

Faramir, he is a good sword man, a good archer and skilled in riding.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2011 07:40 PM
leifi98 is currently offline Click here to Send leifi98 a Private Message Find more posts by leifi98 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Well, canonically there is the top 2 that are hands down unquestionably the most powerful.

1. Eru
2. Morgoth/Melkor

From there you have everyone else, from Gandalf and Sauron to Fingolfin and Bombadil....

But certainly, Eru is THE most powerful of all of Tolkien's characters.

Don't forget non humanoid characters like Ancalagon the black dragon.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post Jun 24th, 2011 02:08 AM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Birch_Tree

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Well, canonically there is the top 2 that are hands down unquestionably the most powerful.

1. Eru
2. Morgoth/Melkor

From there you have everyone else, from Gandalf and Sauron to Fingolfin and Bombadil....

But certainly, Eru is THE most powerful of all of Tolkien's characters.

Don't forget non humanoid characters like Ancalagon the black dragon.

Melkor does not play any part in LOTR, he might get the occasional mention but thats it. Plus he is chained with Angainor and cast through the door of Night into the void where he would remain until the end of time. So he is powerless during LOTR.

Technically Eru plays a large part, but underhanded part which is not directly mentioned. So yeah, he is the most powerful but I feel it is comparable in claiming the player is the most powerful piece in a game of chess.

The Valar, although powerful have their oath not to interfere 'greatly' with the affairs of Middle Earth, so they are fairly powerless to affect change due to their oath. Although, there are plenty of likely examples of them potenitally getting involved (Faramir and Boromirs dream, Frodo's dream, Boromir body surviving the trip down the falls, The wind change which blew away Saurons darkness, Eagles arriving at the final battle, Elronds Flood)

Even Melkor was free of his chain and the void, I still would not consider him the most powerful among the Valar, he has wasted a lot of his inherent energy in corrupting the world and fighting against the Valar, by the time of the War of the Jewels he is a much weaker force then he was at creation.

The strongest in fighting would undoubtedly belong to Tulkas and Orome. Most powerful overall would still be Manwe, Ulmo, Aule, Varda ect.... can not remember their exact placings.

Ancalagon the black has been dead for thousands of years by the time the story started. Not many dragons are still alive by the time LOTR started and none get a mention... Although they are hard to place, they are immensivly powerful creatures, gandalf feared that Smaug would destory Rivendell but he died from a single arrow... Even Glaurung the father of the fire dragons who sacked Nargothrond died from a single well placed blow. So its difficult to place a Dragon, but they have to be amoung the strongest of characters and even equal to the Maiar.

Last edited by Birch_Tree on Jun 24th, 2011 at 04:23 AM

Old Post Jun 24th, 2011 04:11 AM
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Melkor does not play any part in LOTR, he might get the occasional mention but thats it. Plus he is chained with Angainor and cast through the door of Night into the void where he would remain until the end of time. So he is powerless during LOTR.

Technically Eru plays a large part, but underhanded part which is not directly mentioned. So yeah, he is the most powerful but I feel it is comparable in claiming the player is the most powerful piece in a game of chess.

The Valar, although powerful have their oath not to interfere 'greatly' with the affairs of Middle Earth, so they are fairly powerless to affect change due to their oath. Although, there are plenty of likely examples of them potenitally getting involved (Faramir and Boromirs dream, Frodo's dream, Boromir body surviving the trip down the falls, The wind change which blew away Saurons darkness, Eagles arriving at the final battle, Elronds Flood)

Even Melkor was free of his chain and the void, I still would not consider him the most powerful among the Valar, he has wasted a lot of his inherent energy in corrupting the world and fighting against the Valar, by the time of the War of the Jewels he is a much weaker force then he was at creation.

The strongest in fighting would undoubtedly belong to Tulkas and Orome. Most powerful overall would still be Manwe, Ulmo, Aule, Varda ect.... can not remember their exact placings.

Ancalagon the black has been dead for thousands of years by the time the story started. Not many dragons are still alive by the time LOTR started and none get a mention... Although they are hard to place, they are immensivly powerful creatures, gandalf feared that Smaug would destory Rivendell but he died from a single arrow... Even Glaurung the father of the fire dragons who sacked Nargothrond died from a single well placed blow. So its difficult to place a Dragon, but they have to be amoung the strongest of characters and even equal to the Maiar.
Notice I did not say they were the most powerful characters during the Third Age, or Lord of the Rings timeline, but I said "Of Tolkien's characters". I don't really think you can argue Morgoth's power in the Silmarillion.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post Jun 24th, 2011 06:09 AM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Birch_Tree

Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
Notice I did not say they were the most powerful characters during the Third Age, or Lord of the Rings timeline, but I said "Of Tolkien's characters". I don't really think you can argue Morgoth's power in the Silmarillion.

Notice the thread is about "Most powerful LOTR character". Tolkiens most powerful characters is still a interesting topic, so I am going to continue on.

I agree, its in the text, that Melkor was the most powerful when first descended into the world.

But he squandered his powers corrupting the world "Morgoth's Ring', and by the time of the slaying of the two trees he had lost the ability to change shape, and no longer had the strength to fight off Ungoliant relying on his Balrogs to save him. Although still mighty, he was a shadow of his original glory.

Tolkien wrote in one of his essays " 'Sauron was 'greater', effectively, in the Second Age, than Morgoth at the end of the First. Why? Because, though he was far smaller by stature, he had not fallen so low."

Old Post Jun 24th, 2011 07:47 AM
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Notice the thread is about "Most powerful LOTR character". Tolkiens most powerful characters is still a interesting topic, so I am going to continue on.
True, however, most people think that all that Tolkien made was The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit. In presuming that this was the case, I opened the gate to establish the all time greats. And you could make a case that Morgoth was a LOTR character based on the 'six degrees of separation" laughing

Old Post Jun 24th, 2011 05:14 PM
The_Innkeeper

Pippin.

Definitely Pippin.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2011 05:18 PM
The_Innkeeper is currently offline Click here to Send The_Innkeeper a Private Message Find more posts by The_Innkeeper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Melkor, followed by Sauron. Gandalf the White was impressive in his own right, as was Galadriel and Elrond, but none could contend with the Master of the Ring.

Of course, you could argue that Aragorn, being able to resist the Ring and challenge Sauron, represented the strongest mortal being.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2011 08:36 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
maxman1180
Restricted

Account Restricted

Eru

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2011 09:57 AM
maxman1180 is currently offline Click here to Send maxman1180 a Private Message Find more posts by maxman1180 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
larryfilmmaker

Bombadil. Also wins for gayest.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2011 02:17 PM
larryfilmmaker is currently offline Click here to Send larryfilmmaker a Private Message Find more posts by larryfilmmaker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zoom3
Fastest Man in the World

Question

Good-
Most Powerful: Gandalf the White
Greatest: Aragorn or Frodo

Bad-
Most Powerful: Sauron, Saromon, or the Witch-King of Angmar
Greatest: Well, really none of them. But if I have to choose, I'd say Sauron, because he lasted the longest and had the One Ring.

It's mostly a no-brainer for the heroes, but the evil characters are a little harder, because they all lost in the end. And they're all really powerful.

Old Post Jan 25th, 2012 01:36 AM
zoom3 is currently offline Click here to Send zoom3 a Private Message Find more posts by zoom3 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote