KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Lord of the Rings » The Hobbit (2011 - 2012)

The Hobbit (2011 - 2012)
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « First ... « 13 14 [15]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
The Rover

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak
That's your opinion; I don't share it. And again, you are arguing for not putting extra material in there at all, whilst my comment was aimed at those expressing outrage that they changed said material. If you don't think simplifying that background is helpful here, you're stuck in the wrong perspective based on your privileged level of knowledge.

Grr. It's not about privilege - it's about good storytelling, and they ****ed up.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2013 01:17 AM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by The Rover
Grr. It's not about privilege - it's about good storytelling, and they ****ed up.
The film in a nutshell.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2013 02:36 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix2001

Originally posted by The Rover

What exactly are you basing that on?

I'm not understanding this pessimism. Only a third of the story is out.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2013 03:20 AM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

And that third is underwhelming, misdirected, and a tad contrived.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2013 05:29 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix2001

Then I suppose I will say again: Perhaps you should stay absent from the other parts.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2013 05:56 AM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Why? Just because a film has problems (that can and should be discussed) doesn't mean it wasn't entertaining. Just look at Dark Knight Rises.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2013 07:21 AM
Phoenix2001

Well, this is where you and I differ. I don't think the film has any significant problems that really needs much discussion. They've changed and shifted a few things around. That's it. I don't have any problems with that, and it certainly didn't keep me from enjoying the experience.

You've already agreed with Rover that the story was "****ed up" and added that the film is "****ed up", "in a nutshell"

If the things you have taken issue with are truly bothersome to the point of annoyance, then why subjugate yourself to it again?

Old Post Jan 13th, 2013 06:47 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

This is the problem with a purely text-based conversation; it can be very hard to impart tone and inflection without flat-out parenthesizing your emotion. And I refuse to use emoticons.

I'm not annoyed by the films. I'm underwhelmed by them. Ironic considering the film tries so hard to be overwhelming(ly epic) winds up being the opposite. Which is the problem--the story isn't epic. They're staying pretty true to the book in many respects, but that may be backfiring against them. They're trying to create epic films out of a non-epic novel, while simultaneously straying little from the novel. It's what I mean when I say it all feels very misguided, or misdirected. They're trying to be BIG! and grand and dark and dynamic... but stay simple and cute and funny and charming at the same time. Talk about wanting your cake and eating it too. The Rings trilogy stayed largely consistent, at least within each movie. We're only one movie in to the Hobbit and it feels disjointed and all over the emotional map.

And no, don't misallocate our words... we've said neither that the story nor the film are "f*cked up", we said they (the filmmakers) f*cked up.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Jan 14th, 2013 at 03:22 AM

Old Post Jan 14th, 2013 03:15 AM
The Rover

No, I do think that the film/story is "****ed up," because they've fundamentally altered aspects of the mythology on which the adaptation is based. I'm still going to see the other films, but, at this point, it's mostly just to see how (and/or if) they address such issues.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2013 05:09 PM
The Rover is currently offline Click here to Send The Rover a Private Message Find more posts by The Rover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I can't be bothered reading the last 15 pages of this thread but I did finally see The Hobbit the other night.
Jackson really did have an awkward pacing to this movie, slow & dramatic when it came to close-ups & long dialogues (as expected) then a very jagged or badly edited pace when it came to the action scenes. It really did feel that some scenes were missing.
The action was good but predictable, although I did get a bit weary when one escape or victory simply led straight into another dilemma.
Gandalf's constant disappearances then last minute saves really felt done to death.
I know this is a prequel but once again those dam eagles always coming at the last minute to save the day. I mean once again, it's a journey, a quest...why not use the eagles in the first place TO FLY to the mountain rather than a dangerous long journey on foot..?

Old Post Apr 11th, 2013 05:31 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
why not use the eagles in the first place TO FLY to the mountain rather than a dangerous long journey on foot..?

Then that would be changing the story i'm guessing....i've never read The Hobbit.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2013 07:08 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

I know this is a prequel but once again those dam eagles always coming at the last minute to save the day. I mean once again, it's a journey, a quest...why not use the eagles in the first place TO FLY to the mountain rather than a dangerous long journey on foot..?

In the book the eagles talk and claim that men could and would shoot them down with arrows if they tried to fly there.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2013 07:52 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I can't be bothered reading the last 15 pages of this thread but I did finally see The Hobbit the other night.
Jackson really did have an awkward pacing to this movie, slow & dramatic when it came to close-ups & long dialogues (as expected) then a very jagged or badly edited pace when it came to the action scenes. It really did feel that some scenes were missing.
The action was good but predictable, although I did get a bit weary when one escape or victory simply led straight into another dilemma.
Gandalf's constant disappearances then last minute saves really felt done to death.
thumb up

Old Post Apr 14th, 2013 01:31 AM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

why not use the eagles in the first place TO FLY to the mountain rather than a dangerous long journey on foot..?

Because they would simply tire out before flying there and Gwaihir wouldn't agree if Gandalf made such ridiculous request anyway.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2013 10:17 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Because they would simply tire out before flying there and Gwaihir wouldn't agree if Gandalf made such ridiculous request anyway.

I thought it was because there was a, you know, dragon named Smaug living there. They might have thought it too dangerous to go all the way.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Apr 16th, 2013 04:16 AM
Vensai is currently offline Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

In the book the eagle lord explained that he didn't want to risk the lives of his flight (or whatever an army of eagles would be called) by crossing over Mirkwood Forest because there were human settlements there with woodsmen who distrusted eagles for eating their livestock and who possessed "bows of yew" that could shoot the eagles out of the sky, especially if they were slowed down by having to carry dwarves and a hobbit. And even if that weren't a problem, Tolkien would be the first to say that eagles aren't a taxi service--they're more like a special forces extraction unit who only work based on calling in favors or if they have a vested interest, for instance they intervened in the Battle of Five Armies because they saw they had a one time chance to wipe out their greatest enemy in one stroke.

The ending of ROTK is harder to figure out, but I suppose Gandalf still had one favor left to call.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Apr 17th, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Old Post Apr 17th, 2013 11:38 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Rover

Did anyone watch the preview for the next movie? Interested in these now solely as a curiosity...

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2013 07:34 PM