KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer Help Forum » Windows 7

Windows 7
Started by: -Pr-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Peach
I use a laptop as well, so performance increase for that is definitely good.

I didn't play with the Windows 7 beta but I do know a few people who did, and I've heard that it is indeed much less of a resource hog. Which is great. Vista is too greedy.

aye, well that's very good, then.

plus, running a 64 bit atm means i can save money and just upgrade. yay me.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 7th, 2009 03:24 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

I'm using Windows 7 32-bit.

It feels significantly more responsive than Windows Vista. It's also safer (for now) thanks to a modified kernel and shells, and firewall has been significantly improved.

Just tried debugging the source kernel of 7 through command line control, and the thing is a mess!
Multiple programming languages used like C, C++, Python, and Java. Completely different from Vista or XP.
Malware programmers will have a hard time coding viruses for Win7.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 06:19 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by occultdestroyer
I'm using Windows 7 32-bit.

It feels significantly more responsive than Windows Vista. It's also safer (for now) thanks to a modified kernel and shells, and firewall has been significantly improved.

Just tried debugging the source kernel of 7 through command line control, and the thing is a mess!
Multiple programming languages used like C, C++, Python, and Java. Completely different from Vista or XP.
Malware programmers will have a hard time coding viruses for Win7.

sounds good, seriously.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 08:03 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Originally posted by -Pr-
sounds good, seriously.

It won't take long before the malware programmers program new viruses, though..

BTW, 7 has improved voice recognition and touch analysis using touch-sensitive devices (if you're into those kinds of things).

Win7 comes with a better bundle of software like Windows Live Essentials and Windows Virtual PC, etc.

Windows Media Player 12 is the default media player, which has more codecs which allows you to play more video & audio formats compared to the previous version.

IE8 is the default browser. But I'd rather use a browser that uses the Gecko layout like Firefox, Seamonkey, or K-Meleon. A LOT safer than IE.
And if you still prefer IE-like layout but with enhanced features and efficiency, I recommend you to replace it with Maxthon or Avant.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 02:01 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

It won't take long before the malware programmers program new viruses, though..

BTW, 7 has improved voice recognition and touch analysis using touch-sensitive devices (if you're into those kinds of things).

Win7 comes with a better bundle of software like Windows Live Essentials and Windows Virtual PC, etc.

Windows Media Player 12 is the default media player, which has more codecs which allows you to play more video & audio formats compared to the previous version.

IE8 is the default browser. But I'd rather use a browser that uses the Gecko layout like Firefox, Seamonkey, or K-Meleon. A LOT safer than IE.
And if you still prefer IE-like layout but with enhanced features and efficiency, I recommend you to replace it with Maxthon or Avant.

i use IE and firefox, depending on which sites i visit, so i don't worry about that.

glad to hear about WMP, i always feel that its a solid player, but gets a lot of flak for simply being a microsoft app...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 02:51 PM
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

i use IE and firefox, depending on which sites i visit,

Oh how I wonder which sites warrant a different browser.? eek! Ironically enough I do the same. confused

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 06:00 PM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Identity theft is easy to exploit when using IE8.

As long as you don't use IE8 for internet banking, you're safe.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 09:38 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Oh how I wonder which sites warrant a different browser.? eek! Ironically enough I do the same. confused

i use IE for kmc and general browsing. i use firefox for sites like deviant art and a few other forums i visit...

Identity theft is easy to exploit when using IE8.

As long as you don't use IE8 for internet banking, you're safe.

oh? howso?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 9th, 2009 03:31 AM
dadudemon

I have full release of Windows 7 running on my second hard drive in my laptop.

It is lightening fast. 9 seconds from the click until it completely logs off. About 12 seconds to fully shut down, about 20 seconds to boot up to the Windows logon screen, from being off.

Dude, it is MUCH faster than the Windows Vista Home Edition (64-bit) version I have running on my other hard drive.

Everything pops-up, moves about, much faster. Interface feels cleaner than Vista, even when using Aero.

I'm LOVING the zoom feature this has that comes with it by default.

Again, I'm running Windows 7 Pro. 64-bit.

I already have fingerprint reader working just fine. In fact, the finger print reader works better in 7 than it does Vista. Much faster and haven't experienced a failure in a swipe, yet. Anecdotal, I know, but the failure on the scan could be related to the delay in comparing the scanned print to the one in the profile.

Anyway, much nicer. Cleaner. Faster. More options (weird, I know, but it does have more). Even Wifi management is cleaner.

I highly recommend the change from XP or Vista to 7. thumb up I don't have any complaints, yet. I will find them, eventually, but until then, I rate this product a 5 out of 5 stars.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2009 12:47 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

that's pretty big praise for such a young OS...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 26th, 2009 05:41 AM
dadudemon

that's pretty big praise for such a young OS...

It's that good.

It exceeded my expectations.

I'm sure I'll find complaints for it, later. Right now, I don't have any. Even "trying" to find stuff isn't difficult at all. Intuitive and easy to work with.

I guess I expected it to have a few things wrong with it, right off the bat. But, since it didn't, I was shocked.

One of the big selling points, for me, is the clean minimalist interface that it has right after you install it. That's how I like my desktops: clean and uncluttered.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2009 04:41 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by dadudemon
It's that good.

It exceeded my expectations.

I'm sure I'll find complaints for it, later. Right now, I don't have any. Even "trying" to find stuff isn't difficult at all. Intuitive and easy to work with.

I guess I expected it to have a few things wrong with it, right off the bat. But, since it didn't, I was shocked.

One of the big selling points, for me, is the clean minimalist interface that it has right after you install it. That's how I like my desktops: clean and uncluttered.

methinks i'll upgrade asap.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 28th, 2009 06:07 AM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

The newest Windows 7 build now has integrated Windows XP.

So if there are compatibility issues with the Win 7 OS, you can install in on Windows XP WITHIN Windows 7. Sounds good eh?

Old Post Sep 1st, 2009 02:11 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

The newest Windows 7 build now has integrated Windows XP.

So if there are compatibility issues with the Win 7 OS, you can install in on Windows XP WITHIN Windows 7. Sounds good eh?

it does indeed.

ok, got to try windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. the system itself is fine. very few issues, bar one BIG one. the new windows media player is a resource hog and is full of bugs. it's an absolute pain. i have to see if i can roll back to 11.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 1st, 2009 04:28 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by dadudemon
I have full release of Windows 7 running on my second hard drive in my laptop.

It is lightening fast. 9 seconds from the click until it completely logs off. About 12 seconds to fully shut down, about 20 seconds to boot up to the Windows logon screen, from being off.

Dude, it is MUCH faster than the Windows Vista Home Edition (64-bit) version I have running on my other hard drive.

Everything pops-up, moves about, much faster. Interface feels cleaner than Vista, even when using Aero.

I'm LOVING the zoom feature this has that comes with it by default.

Again, I'm running Windows 7 Pro. 64-bit.

I already have fingerprint reader working just fine. In fact, the finger print reader works better in 7 than it does Vista. Much faster and haven't experienced a failure in a swipe, yet. Anecdotal, I know, but the failure on the scan could be related to the delay in comparing the scanned print to the one in the profile.

Anyway, much nicer. Cleaner. Faster. More options (weird, I know, but it does have more). Even Wifi management is cleaner.

I highly recommend the change from XP or Vista to 7. thumb up I don't have any complaints, yet. I will find them, eventually, but until then, I rate this product a 5 out of 5 stars.
What minimum requirements would you set though? I mean, I won't put it on my EeePC 901 obviously.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2009 07:46 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Bardock42
What minimum requirements would you set though? I mean, I won't put it on my EeePC 901 obviously.

1+ GHz CPU. 20 GB harddrive. DX9 compatible graphics card or integrated graphics. 2 GB of RAM. I'd say 256 MB of discrete graphics memory for aero.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2009 10:36 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I have a friend running Windows 7 and he has nothing but good things to say about it.

Old Post Sep 1st, 2009 11:29 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by BackFire
I have a friend running Windows 7 and he has nothing but good things to say about it.

im just reaching the 24 hour mark, and bar the wmp player problems, i'm very happy with it. even my computer seems quieter. i've had no compatibility problems so far, and there are plenty of features that make life easier...

i still dont understand the rationale behind getting rid of the quick launch, but it's not a massive complaint...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2009 09:03 AM
JessicaD

Occultdestroyer,

Thank you for evaluating Windows 7 and it's great to hear that you are enjoying your experience so much! If you are planning on purchasing Windows 7 when it is released it may be helpful to know you don't have to wait until October to reserve your copy of Win 7! You can pre-order your copy of Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional today. For more information, see the Windows 7 Pre-Order offer page here: wwwdotmicrosoftdotcom/Windows/buy/offers/pre-order-endeddotaspx (Replace the "dot" with a period ".")

Another method of acquiring Windows 7 RTM is through a TechNet Plus / MSDN Plus subscription. If you have a TechNet Plus or MSDN Plus subscription you have access to download Windows 7 RTM and receive 10 product activation keys. To learn more about a TechNet plus subscription, please go here: edgedottechnetdotcom/Media/TechNet-Plus-Subscription--Steve-Rose/

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2009 05:37 PM
JessicaD is currently offline Click here to Send JessicaD a Private Message Find more posts by JessicaD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

no expression

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2009 06:07 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote