KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Philosophy Forum » Is more technology the answer?

Is more technology the answer?
Started by: coberst

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (13): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Now who's preaching.

I'm getting sick of your, "I'm sick of your ideologies", Oliver.

You never addressed increasing complexity in distribution of resources, that I said was apart of our inability to keep up ourselves (which is why we'd need to change). That's at least one of the reasons we'd change. I said our perspectives would change as we wise up. Transhumans wouldn't see things the way normal humans would. As I said we wouldn't be human, but also we'd be changing all the time. Chauvinism, violence, all completely useless, and thus eradicated as the source of those things is self-righteousness in a way. We'd be more capable, but less cocky.

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Last edited by KillaKassara on Mar 29th, 2013 at 08:34 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 08:26 PM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

so no comment on the unequal distribution of new technology?

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 08:30 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dolos
Now who's preaching.

I'm getting sick of your, "I'm sick of your ideologies", Oliver.

You never addressed increasing complexity in distribution of resources, that I said was apart of our inability to keep up ourselves (which is why we'd need to change). That's at least one of the reasons we'd change. I said our perspectives would change as we wise up. Transhumans wouldn't see things the way normal humans would. As I said we wouldn't be human, but also we'd be changing all the time. Chauvinism, violence, all completely useless, and thus eradicated as the source of those things is self-righteousness in a way. We'd be more capable, but less cocky.

Point to where anyone else here has "preached."

Okay, so, my understanding of your position is that it's essentially:

"(1) We're stuck in a ditch, we're too dumb and clumsy to get out. We need to become transhuman. (3) We're transhuman. Huzzah!"

And no, I didn't forget the (2), you did.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 09:08 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Transhumans = Vulcans. I think this is what Dolos is saying.

Not human anymore. Check

See things differently than humans. Check

Above petty emotions and ideals. Check

/proved

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Mar 29th, 2013 at 09:28 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 09:24 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Is the notion of something better than a human, behaving and accomplishing more than a human can, a hard case to make?

Am I in the wrong here?

Our civilization is becoming exceedingly perplex, and all we're doing is multiplying, it's not that we're dumb and stupid or whatever. Or maybe we are if you look at it from a certain point of view. stick out tongue

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Last edited by KillaKassara on Mar 29th, 2013 at 09:30 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 09:27 PM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Is the notion of something that's better than human being better than human, a hard case to make?

Am I in the wrong here?

Is better subjective? Some people think it would be better if humans lived like stone age tribes, simpler lives free of mass marketing, global politics, processed foods and the Gundam Style (or whatever the current 15 min wonder is).

Me, hunter.

Oliver, spiritual leader

Omega, inventor

You, berry picker

It'd be great.

Last edited by Robtard on Mar 29th, 2013 at 09:34 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 09:32 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Robtard
Is better subjective? Some people think it would be better if humans lived like stone age tribes, simpler lives free of mass marketing, global politics, processed foods and the Gundam Style (or whatever the current 15 min wonder is).

Me, hunter.

Oliver, spiritual leader

Omega, inventor

You, berry picker

It'd be great.
Can I be the tribe drunk who gets wasted on fermented berries?

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 09:39 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Me, hunter.

Oliver, spiritual leader

Omega, inventor

You, berry picker

It'd be great.

laughing out loud

I guess that's the thing, isn't it?

The berry picker has more incentive for change, more drive for the radical future than the others. It's dangerous waters, but what does a berry picker have to lose? It's kinda like that verse in Mathew about the meek.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Mar 29th, 2013 at 09:45 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 09:41 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Can I be the tribe drunk who gets wasted on fermented berries?

Are you Irish?

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 09:42 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

laughing out loud

I guess that's the thing, isn't it?

The berry picker has more incentive for change, more drive for the radical future than the others. It's dangerous waters, but what does a berry picker have to lose? It's kinda like that verse in Mathew about the meek.

Don't be so dismissive of your role. The tribe needs berries, as it can't live off meat alone. They provide fiber, antioxidants and vitamins. You have an important role and it's not any less important than the others tribal roles.

Look at it this way, how would I go out hunting for meat and hides, how would Oliver spiritually lead us on the right path and how would Omega invent new useful technologies like an entendo-stick which allows you to pick those hard to reach berries if we're vitamin deficient and all backed up from a diet of just meat?

Last edited by Robtard on Mar 29th, 2013 at 09:57 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 09:55 PM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Don't be so dismissive of your role. The tribe needs berries, as it can't live off meat alone. They provide fiber, antioxidants and vitamins. You have an important role and it's not any less important than the others tribal roles.

Look at it this way, how would I go out hunting for meat and hides, how would Oliver spiritually lead us on the right path and how would Omega invent new useful technologies like an entendo-stick which allows you to pick those hard to reach berries if we're vitamin deficient and all backed up from a diet of just meat?

You forgot we're not in that situation anymore. The situation we face is very different, my berry picker example merely insinuates a menial member of a society of a species that is in no threat of dying out, a species that is overpopulating.

This is our reality now, we're no longer in that situation. You don't decide what time you get, you decide what to do with the time that is given to you.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2013 10:41 PM
Omega Vision

@Rob: I kind of see my role and ON's role switched, but good list.
Is the notion of something better than a human, behaving and accomplishing more than a human can, a hard case to make?

For this sentence to make sense, you'd need to add something between 'can,' and 'a hard case to make'

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2013 12:00 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Omega Vision
@Rob: I kind of see my role and ON's role switched, but good list.

For this sentence to make sense, you'd need to add something between 'can,' and 'a hard case to make'

Yes, but then it would be a run on sentence would it not?

That sentence is pretty much ****ed.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2013 12:08 AM
Omega Vision

Yes, but then it would be a run on sentence would it not?

That sentence is pretty much ****ed.

A runon sentence that makes sense is better than what you wrote. And no, it wouldn't be. Runon sentences are runon sentences because of lack of punctuation and other grammatical problems, not because of length. Skilled (and often pretentious and/or German) writers can write half a page or even page long sentences that are grammatically sound.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2013 01:21 AM
siriuswriter

Run-on sentences often equals brilliance ala James Joyce and stream of consciousness writing. [/grammar nazi]

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2013 01:26 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

I haven't read as much Joyce as some of my friends have, but I think he made his own rules that he followed consistently, as many writers do.

Anyway /offtopic.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2013 01:29 AM
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by siriuswriter
Run-on sentences often equals brilliance ala James Joyce and stream of consciousness writing. [/grammar nazi]

Well then, "Is the notion of something better than a human, behaving better than any human would behave or accomplishing more than a human could ever accomplish, a hard case to make?"

My English teacher had me condense my sentences, omitting information, grading me poorly for them being too long. Basically, my writing wasn't down to earth enough for anyone who'd be reading it. I was never planning on becoming a writer who sells books, but a writer who explains his ideas regardless of whether or not a certain demographic is patient enough to work through my complex sentences.

Last edited by KillaKassara on Mar 30th, 2013 at 01:45 AM

Old Post Mar 30th, 2013 01:38 AM
Omega Vision

Well then, "Is the notion of something better than a human, behaving better than any human would behave or accomplishing more than a human could ever accomplish, a hard case to make?"

My English teacher had me condense my sentences, omitting information, grading me poorly for them being too long. Basically, my writing wasn't down to earth enough for anyone who'd be reading it. I was never planning on becoming a writer who sells books, but a writer who explains his ideas regardless of whether or not a certain demographic is patient enough to work through my complex sentences.

The problem is that the sentence seems to call for some kind of "if, then" statement which is lacking here.

It's not that your sentence is too complex, it's that it doesn't make sense because it's flawed on a fundamental level.

A shorter illustration of the problem: "But really, isn't the shoe?"

That sentence is missing its argument. (Disclaimer for grammar vultures: I realize I might be misusing the word argument here in a grammatical context, I'm too lazy to do the research at the moment)

Old Post Mar 30th, 2013 01:58 AM

I think the issue is that you assume certain changes to human nature will be implemented by the technological remaking of humanity simply because you view them as desirable, not because they are anymore likely than a continuation or worsening of our aggressive and competitive behaviors.

think of the following: who is going to develop, own, distribute, control and impelement the tech for these changes (assuming they're possible)? what are their interests? who will have access to these changes? what are their interests?

dont wanna be a pedant, but your english teacher is right. your sentences too often read like they've been written by a random text generator at first glance and take way too much effort to decode once you try, though I'll admit they're not the total gibberish I once thought they were. the problem is that you seem to have developed some weird semantics of your own influenced by sci-fi. you attribute unconventional meanings to lots of terms and this is really tiresome for the reader.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2013 01:59 AM
753 is currently offline Click here to Send 753 a Private Message Find more posts by 753 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

He almost writes like a longwinded Dadaist.

Old Post Mar 30th, 2013 02:02 AM