KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Keeping Joker Alive: A Stupid Move?

Keeping Joker Alive: A Stupid Move?
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kris Blaze
Restricted

Account Restricted

Time to take ol' Joker out behind the shack and give him the ol' yella treatment.

I give you the only thing an Orange Lantern gives....Demands

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 11:33 AM
Kris Blaze is currently offline Click here to Send Kris Blaze a Private Message Find more posts by Kris Blaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basy133
Restricted

Account Restricted

joker gets the Lenny Smalls treatment laughing

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 04:39 PM
basy133 is currently offline Click here to Send basy133 a Private Message Find more posts by basy133 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Batman should make his own damn prison. He doesn't trust the law enforcement to catch criminals so he dishes out some vigilante justice, but then he hands the criminals he apprehends over to the same law enforcement officers that he doesn't trust to catch them... and their revolving door prison system? Yeah... it just doesn't make any sense. The GCPD has a better track record catching criminals than it does keeping them behind bars. Whats the deal, Batman?

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 05:50 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 06:25 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basy133
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
This problem has been adressed in comics.

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)
smile

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 06:35 PM
basy133 is currently offline Click here to Send basy133 a Private Message Find more posts by basy133 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

It seems like faulty logic. Why is apprehending a criminal more acceptable to Batman than incarcerating him? He sees a fault in the justice systems ability to catch criminals, and he has no problem remedying it... but they have a problem keeping criminals behind bars, and that is out of his hands?

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 07:31 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Why is apprehending a criminal more acceptable to Batman than incarcerating him?

Seriously ?

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 07:35 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Seriously ?

If he went to court he'd get more jail time for Aggravated Assault then he would for Unlawful Confinement.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 07:54 PM
Philosophía

You're missing the point and coming up with arguments that make me question your logic. There's a difference between helping the justice system (flawed as it might be) and effectivly replacing it. The scans I posted above show exactly his purpose in this whole structure.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 08:03 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

You're missing the point and coming up with arguments that make me question your logic. There's a difference between helping the justice system (flawed as it might be) and effectivly replacing it. The scans I posted above show exactly his purpose in this whole structure.

So once again: what's the rational behind this belief? Batman feels it's necessary to apprehend criminals because the Police Force can't, but he doesn't feel it's necessary (in fact he feels its wrong) to incarcerate criminals even though the Police Force has a worse track record holding the criminals than they do keeping them? Incarcerating criminals isn't more inherently wrong that beating the crap out of them with some vigilante justice. Either way he is overstepping his bounds and violating civil law. The sort of personality that he would have to have in order the think Phase 1 was necessary would inevitably lead him to Phase 2.

Batman doesn't incarcerate criminals because of the shaky reason in the scans you provided, he doesn't do it because if he did they wouldn't escape... and I mean that from a DC perspective not a insane "Batman needs criminals" point of view.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 08:13 PM
Philosophía

So once again: what's the rational behind this belief? Batman feels it's necessary to apprehend criminals because the Police Force can't, but he doesn't feel it's necessary (in fact he feels its wrong) to incarcerate criminals even though the Police Force has a worse track record holding the criminals than they do keeping them. Incarcerating criminals isn't more inherently wrong that beating the crap out of them with some favourable vigilante justice. The sort of personality that he would have to have in order the think Phase 1 was necessary would inevitably lead him to Phase 2.

Batman doesn't incarcerate criminals because of the shaky reason in the scans you provided, he doesn't do it because if he did they wouldn't escape... and I mean that from a DC perspective not a insane "Batman needs criminals" point of view.

It's not a matter of how efficient Batman would be holding criminals in comparison to the police/Arkham Asylum etc, it's about him doing what he can to help the system apprehend this criminals, and not replacing it. This doesn't seem to sink in. He is not judge, jury and executioner. His purpose isn't to punish the criminals, only to help the police and those working within the confines of the law while he is outside of it.

You're arguments are non-existent and you're clinging on a strawman stance saying that just because Batman breaks the law by helping those working under it capture various criminals, he logically should replace it entirely aswell because..well, I'm not sure.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 08:27 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

It's not a matter of how efficient Batman would be holding criminals in comparison to the police/Arkham Asylum etc, it's about him doing what he can to help the system apprehend this criminals, and not replacing it. This doesn't seem to sink in. He is not judge, jury and executioner. His purpose isn't to punish the criminals, only to help the police and those working within the confines of the law while he is outside of it.

You're arguments are non-existent and you're clinging on a strawman stance saying that just because Batman breaks the law by helping those working under it capture various criminals, he logically should replace it entirely aswell because..well, I'm not sure.

Batman doesn't exist to help the justice system. He exists to help civilians that the justice system has let down. He doesn't go where the Police can't go for the benefit of the Police, he does it to help the average person affected by crime. Other than the fact that they are mostly good men trying to protect people, Batman could give a crap about the Police Department. He doesn't fallow procedure, he doesn't fallow protocol, Batman's whole mission is to plug the gaps that he sees in Justice System, and the suggest that Batman doesn't confine criminals because he has some perceived allegiance to the prison system is faulty, and flat out wrong.

This is the same man who built a satellite to spy on every single person on earth, after the Justice League let him down once. Do you really think after the second time Joker escaped from prison Batman wouldn't insure that it wouldn't happened again?

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 08:36 PM
Philosophía

That is one of the worst kind of logics and backpedalling I've ever seen.

"Batman isn't helping the justice system, the one designed to help the citizens by protecting them from, apprehending and judging criminals! He is just helping normal citizens, let down by the system (!!!) by protecting them from and apprehending the criminals, afterwards handing them over to the justice system! Uhm.. yeah!

And why shouldn't Batman judge and incarcerate criminals ?! He already helps the police and courts by catching criminals, saving people and then letting the legal system run its course.. why not ignore the system entirely and be a one-man judge, jury and executioner! It's only logical .. the sort of personality required for the first one would obviously do the second one!!"

I'm sorry Srank, but this discussion is just too stupid to further pursue.

Later.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 08:50 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

That is one of the worst kind of logics and backpedalling I've ever seen.

"Batman isn't helping the justice system, the one designed to help the citizens by protecting them from, apprehending and judging criminals! He is just helping normal citizens, let down by the system (!!!) by protecting them from and apprehending the criminals, afterwards handing them over to the justice system! Uhm.. yeah!

And why shouldn't Batman judge and incarcerate criminals ?! He already helps the police and courts by catching criminals, saving people and then letting the legal system run its course.. why not ignore the system entirely and be a one-man judge, jury and executioner! It's only logical .. the sort of personality required for the first one would obviously do the second one!!"

I'm sorry Srank, but this discussion is just too stupid to further pursue.

Later.

It's really not a mater for debate. /shrug

"Uhuh like, Batman is a good person, and like... I don't know... I don't think he would want to do that... judge... um... jury... um you know... I think its wrong." Said in the best Ross from Friends voice, isn't much of an argument. Just a quick analyse of Batman's character would tell you that. He isn't some meek pussy, and he doesn't [email protected] around. I suppose a very poor case could be made around the idea that maybe Batman might think its too much power for one person... but this is the same dude that made Brother Eye. He'll do whatever he fells is necessary to keep people safe.

Old Post Sep 19th, 2009 08:57 PM
HueyFreeman
Super Fighting Robot

Batman doesn't exist to help the justice system. He exists to help civilians that the justice system has let down. He doesn't go where the Police can't go for the benefit of the Police, he does it to help the average person affected by crime. Other than the fact that they are mostly good men trying to protect people, Batman could give a crap about the Police Department. He doesn't fallow procedure, he doesn't fallow protocol, Batman's whole mission is to plug the gaps that he sees in Justice System, and the suggest that Batman doesn't confine criminals because he has some perceived allegiance to the prison system is faulty, and flat out wrong.

This is the same man who built a satellite to spy on every single person on earth, after the Justice League let him down once. Do you really think after the second time Joker escaped from prison Batman wouldn't insure that it wouldn't happened again?
Stop making sense srank. Dammit.

Made by Jugg666

Old Post Sep 20th, 2009 11:13 AM
HueyFreeman is currently offline Click here to Send HueyFreeman a Private Message Find more posts by HueyFreeman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Originally posted by HueyFreeman
Stop making sense srank. Dammit.

Expand.

You think it's only normal Batman starts judging and incarcerating criminals by himself, effectivly replacing the whole system/law, because he is currently helping it ? Or that apparently Batman isn't helping the system (the one who is supposed to protect citizens & capture and judge criminals) by protecting citizens, capturing criminals and handing them over to the police ?

Or you're here only for cheerleading ?

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2009 03:58 PM
-Pr-

It's really not a mater for debate. /shrug

"Uhuh like, Batman is a good person, and like... I don't know... I don't think he would want to do that... judge... um... jury... um you know... I think its wrong." Said in the best Ross from Friends voice, isn't much of an argument. Just a quick analyse of Batman's character would tell you that. He isn't some meek pussy, and he doesn't [email protected] around. I suppose a very poor case could be made around the idea that maybe Batman might think its too much power for one person... but this is the same dude that made Brother Eye. He'll do whatever he fells is necessary to keep people safe.

he did that to keep tabs on the justice league. it wasn't for the benefit of people like joker.

batman respects the law, and it's why he works with gordon instead of not doing it.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied – chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2009 06:06 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by -Pr-
he did that to keep tabs on the justice league. it wasn't for the benefit of people like joker.

batman respects the law, and it's why he works with gordon instead of not doing it.

He made it because he is a control freak and felt that since several members of the Justice League couldn't be trusted, by extension no one could, so he needed monitor everyone. I pretty sure Brother Eye was monitoring the world goverments as well as just people.

Batman works with Gordon because he respect the man, not his office. This should be blatantly obvious from the fact that when several GCPD (not all of them corrupt), put out Shoot to Kill orders on Batman and all vigilantes, Batman still went out and did his job anyway. Any help the police department get from Batman is a happy side effect from him helping civilians or his respect for Gordon, not his intended purpose like some people are suggesting.

... and when I said people, I wasn't talking about the Joker. wacko

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Sep 22nd, 2009 at 07:23 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2009 07:09 PM
-Pr-

He made it because he is a control freak and felt that since several members of the Justice League couldn't be trusted, by extension no one could, so he needed monitor everyone. I pretty sure Brother Eye was monitoring the world goverments as well as just people.

Batman works with Gordon because he respect the man, not his office. This should be blatantly obvious from the fact that when several GCPD (not all of them corrupt), put out Shoot to Kill orders on Batman and all vigilantes, Batman still went out and did his job anyway. Any help the police department get from Batman is a happy side effect from him helping civilians or his respect for Gordon, not his intended purpose like some people are suggesting.

... and when I said people, I wasn't talking about the Joker. wacko

how, though? how can you know that he set it up for that unless it was stated? it was largely after maxwell lord got his hands on it that he widened the net, iirc.

having respect for the police themselves and respect for the laws/justice is two different things. if batman knows he's innocent, then it's up to him to prove it and to continue to do his job.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied – chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2009 07:51 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by -Pr-
how, though? how can you know that he set it up for that unless it was stated? it was largely after maxwell lord got his hands on it that he widened the net, iirc.

having respect for the police themselves and respect for the laws/justice is two different things. if batman knows he's innocent, then it's up to him to prove it and to continue to do his job.

He did say something though. I can't remember the exact quote but it was something like "It didn't mater who did, because one of us couldn't be trusted, none of us could. It didnt matter who it was, only that it happened, and I would never let it happen again."

The difference between respect for certain police officers and the justice system as a whole was my intire point...

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2009 08:02 PM