KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Anakin's turn to the dark side a little rushed?

Anakin's turn to the dark side a little rushed?
Started by: Hewhoknowsall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
OMG...

Days arer defined on our planet by the time the earth rotates around its axis. But when you're not stuck to one planet: what exactly is a day?

Exactly.

But I'll go ask Supershadow just to make sure. wink

I like George.

Old Post Sep 26th, 2010 07:43 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

I would say it was rushed. Even through Palaptine manipulates him throughout the films and then uses the Padme thing to 'hook' him he never really gave Anakin a credible reason to turn on the Jedi. The only antagonism that was played out well was with Mace Windu, who did not grant him the title of Master. Thus causing the mother of all sulks.

Obi- Wan: no reason to hate him since he offered nothing but friendship and guidance to Anakin, not to mention freeing him from slavery.

Yoda: Nothing but guidance and understanding , can't see the deception here.

Mace Windu: Little bit of anatagonism after the Jedi Master snub but thats such a pithy reason especially when he mellows down and has pleasant dialogue with Windu later on in the film.

Padme: Yes the girl he loves, the girl he wants to save from dying. So he strangles her over a slight misconception. Very strange...

The Younglings: After being a sudden convert to the Sith he instantly has no qualms about killing kids. Yet wants to save the life of his girlfriend... by inexplicably killing kids...

Palpatine gives no reasons for him betraying any of the above , other than the ' I am being victimised by the Jedi, help me !' excuse. Of course Anakin didn't really consider the fact that any of the past two films events could have killed Padme and Palpatine was the orchestrator of everything beforehand, even the death of Qui'Gon.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2010 08:31 PM
Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
The Younglings: After being a sudden convert to the Sith he instantly has no qualms about killing kids. Yet wants to save the life of his girlfriend... by inexplicably killing kids...

With Padme being pregnant herself.... go figure.

And yes there is no character motivation in all this. Or as someone once said about the PT: characters act in a certain way because the plot requires them to. Anakin HAS to be evil so he has to do evil things like killing kids and strangling his girlfriend.
That fact taht all these acts come from nowhere in the character's motivations proves the point.

Originally posted by Sith Master X
Exactly.

But I'll go ask Supershadow just to make sure. wink

Yes yes.... the Oracle you must ask!

Old Post Sep 28th, 2010 06:55 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
neo010
Restricted

Account Restricted

everything can be change... including anakin, decision in this life.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2010 07:03 AM
Click here to Send neo010 a Private Message Find more posts by neo010 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InfernoJG95
darth inferno

umm anakin did the bussiness with padme 9 months before btw just before he left again to fight in the clone wars

Old Post Dec 12th, 2010 09:41 PM
Click here to Send InfernoJG95 a Private Message Find more posts by InfernoJG95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Angel

quote:

And yes there is no character motivation in all this. Or as someone once said about the PT: characters act in a certain way because the plot requires them to. Anakin HAS to be evil so he has to do evil things like killing kids and strangling his girlfriend.
That fact taht all these acts come from nowhere in the character's motivations proves the point.

Pretty much everybody who has issues with the prequels points this out. Guess the better guy who does this is Redlettermedia lol.

Old Post Dec 13th, 2010 12:28 AM
Click here to Send Darth Angel a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Angel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

This I agree completely. The biggest flaw in the PT's story was lack of motivation and forced plot. The plot forced Anakin and Obi-Wan to fight on a pointless planet that looked cool because the back of a toy box 20 years ago said Vader got his injuries due to lava burns. Yes, I love Mustafar but....well...I've been down this road many a times on my thoughts of it. lol

In AOTC, I get so frustrated when people say that the scene where Anakin's talking about the Tusken Raiders to Padme was bad. In all honesty, I thought that was his best performance between both AOTC and ROTS. His character had perfect motivation in that film to slaughter the raiders because they were responsible for his mother's death....and his reaction "They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals. I hate them." was in my opinion, the first time we see some actual "real" character development and great acting instead of it being manufactured. He delivered those lines with hate in his eyes, and rage in his voice, and I think its the best scene in the entire movie. I don't get how else Hayden was supposed to do that scene. I guess people would have preferred that he sang a lullaby instead.

I like George.

Last edited by Sith Master X on Dec 15th, 2010 at 09:01 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 08:55 PM
Click here to Send Sith Master X a Private Message Find more posts by Sith Master X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InfernoJG95
darth inferno

The bad guys are whiny teens at first...

Old Post Dec 15th, 2010 10:07 PM
Click here to Send InfernoJG95 a Private Message Find more posts by InfernoJG95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

This I agree completely. The biggest flaw in the PT's story was lack of motivation and forced plot. The plot forced Anakin and Obi-Wan to fight on a pointless planet that looked cool because the back of a toy box 20 years ago said Vader got his injuries due to lava burns. Yes, I love Mustafar but....well...I've been down this road many a times on my thoughts of it. lol

In AOTC, I get so frustrated when people say that the scene where Anakin's talking about the Tusken Raiders to Padme was bad. In all honesty, I thought that was his best performance between both AOTC and ROTS. His character had perfect motivation in that film to slaughter the raiders because they were responsible for his mother's death....and his reaction "They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals. I hate them." was in my opinion, the first time we see some actual "real" character development and great acting instead of it being manufactured. He delivered those lines with hate in his eyes, and rage in his voice, and I think its the best scene in the entire movie. I don't get how else Hayden was supposed to do that scene. I guess people would have preferred that he sang a lullaby instead.

The real problem of that scene is not Anakin or Hayden. The problem of this particluar scene is Padme: why tf does she fall in love with a guy like this? And yet, this appears to be the scene that sets their relationship in motion. This is the moment where a smart girl like PAdme would say: stay away from this guy....

(Especially after whining a lot about his master... )

Old Post Dec 18th, 2010 09:13 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~JP~
yeah baby

Uh cause he was hot! Whatssamatta with you? laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 19th, 2010 02:21 AM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Angel

Anakin- "I slaughtered them like animals!"
Padme thinking- *I just LOVE bad boys*

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Dec 19th, 2010 02:08 PM
Click here to Send Darth Angel a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Angel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

But the Tusken raiders aren't human as far as I know. Maybe that's why Padme didn't care so much. They're pretty much like animals as Anakin said.

If I were Padme, I probably wouldn't have blamed Anakin for killing them. Jedi Younglings on the other hand...a completely different story. As soon as Obi-Wan told her that in ROTS, she shouldn't have thought twice about going to Mustafar to get Anakin to "come back while he still can."

"Not Anakin...he couldn't! I don't believe you." Whatever...as if Obi-Wan would come over just to lie to you. lol

I like George.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2010 05:46 AM
InfernoJG95
darth inferno

Maybe Obi Wan wanted a piece of Padme if ya catch my drift

Old Post Dec 20th, 2010 09:39 AM
queeq
Chaos

But the Tusken raiders aren't human as far as I know. Maybe that's why Padme didn't care so much. They're pretty much like animals as Anakin said.

So what? The Senate is full of non-humans. I doubt Padme is for an all-human universe. They were sentient creatures and Anakin slaughtered them like animals. Alarm bells should be going off. When Anakin makes a joking remark about dictatorship, Padme is shocked. But when he goes out to slaughter some race, well... then it's fine coz he's supposedly hot and a bad boy... It just doesn't make sense at all.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2010 01:33 PM
Lord Shadow Z

So what? The Senate is full of non-humans. I doubt Padme is for an all-human universe. They were sentient creatures and Anakin slaughtered them like animals. Alarm bells should be going off. When Anakin makes a joking remark about dictatorship, Padme is shocked. But when he goes out to slaughter some race, well... then it's fine coz he's supposedly hot and a bad boy... It just doesn't make sense at all.

His hatred towards the Sand People was confusing, yes, they killed his mother but the way he went on about about them (and hacked them all down) suggested he had some underlying hatred of them, which was never explored in TPM. Maybe he got sick of them taking pot-shots at him in his pod-racing days!

On another tangent I never understood why Anakin didn't buy his mothers freedom after the events of Phantom Menace, I mean he's in with Queen Amidala and the Jedi, why not go back and rescue his mother?

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2010 07:19 PM
Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Angel

Because the plot requires him to get back in the following movie, in order to butcher some life forms?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2010 02:08 PM
queeq
Chaos

Sounds about right.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2010 04:37 PM
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

That's a good point, but these are still the creatures responsible for his mother's death. I don't think it's right to kill someone who has done you wrong so to speak, but I can justify their anger and rage toward something that recklessly killed a loved one of yours if its of another race or species. If a hound of wolves killed a close friend of mine, I'd have no problem shooting those damn things to the ground until its out of it's misery. I also wouldn't expect people to look at me as some sort of murderer afterward for killing a pack of vicious animals that have done harm to others.

I like George.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2010 06:53 AM
queeq
Chaos

Unless you were a priest, or a monk or a Jedi. A slightly bit more could be expected from people like that.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2011 08:52 AM
Sith Master X
Darth Sadistic

That was Episode 1 and 2. His review of the third was just released right before New Years.

Look, I'll admit, the guy is funny. There were so many moments of his Episode II review that had me in tears laughing so hard, like when he shows you the brochure titled "So you want your child to become a Jedi Knight" and the book shows Qui-Gon getting stabbed, then a bunch of Youngling lying dead on the floor. Lots of other things that were hysterical as well.

He makes some really valid points about the war seeming to have no consequences...and I especially agreed with him that the Lightsaber being a universal weapon used by all sorts of alien races defeats the purpose of the weapon because these aliens have features on them that would make using the sword a personal risk to the their own bodies.

However, a bunch of his complaints are just simply looking into things far too much, failing to acknowledge that it's just a sci-fi movie, and also failing to ackowledge that some of the problems he finds here, existed in the OT as well...yes, even the Empire Strikes back.

He talks about how convenient it is that Anakin doesn't get struck by a ship while he's falling through Coruscant, and thus, it suspends the belief of the situation. Ok, good point. Having said that, you can say the same thing about Luke's fall in Empire and how he conveniently lands in an air shaft...and then Leia all of the suddenly "conveniently" becomes force sensative and can hear Luke calling for help. Wonderful!

I have no problem acknowledging that the PT has several flaws...there were several missed opportunities, and from a filmmaking standpoint, there aren't as good as the originals. Having said that, it doesn't take away from my being able to like the films for what they are either, because like I said....I can point out numerous "flaws" from the originals too...something that people pass off as being "nearly perfect."

ROTS gets ridiculed for Vader's "noooo" at the end, but Luke's even more horrifying delivery in Empire gets compltely brushed off because that film is just the bestest thing and is just so much betterer dan da prequels. smile I could make a gigantic list of how many things people complain about out the newer ones, can be applied to the older ones as well.

I like George.

Last edited by Sith Master X on Jan 4th, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Old Post Jan 4th, 2011 12:36 AM