KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Burning witches in real life

Burning witches in real life
Started by: Unicor777

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

Burning witches in real life

Sadly it happens even today in some parts of the world, elderly people unable to protect them selves, are accused for witchcraft and burned alive.

Older women and men are being accused of witchcraft and subjected to brutal beatings. In the worst cases, they are burnt alive by what are being described in the Kenyan media as angry lynch mobs taking the law into their own hands, reports a credible UK and Kenyan relief Agency.
check the link and post your opinion

http://www.helpage.org/News/Latestnews/lYpZ

$$$REMEMBER DUMBLEDORE$$$

R.I.P Headmaster Severus Snape

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Tigg, RebPhoe, Maika, Rogue, Sarant, ADarksideJedi, MUSC

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2009 04:29 PM
Unicor777 is currently offline Click here to Send Unicor777 a Private Message Find more posts by Unicor777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DangerousBeauty

thats horrible! And it's a bit insulting to those of the Pagan and wicca religion.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2009 06:33 PM
DangerousBeauty is currently offline Click here to Send DangerousBeauty a Private Message Find more posts by DangerousBeauty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedireaper
PSN ID > DarkJedireaper

Well as horrible as that sounds it really does happen sad

A long time have I waited for this, my little green friend!

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2009 06:45 PM
Jedireaper is currently offline Click here to Send Jedireaper a Private Message Find more posts by Jedireaper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

It does and as long ppl don't talk about, it goes without anyone noticing. We own this to the victims to acknowledge the injustice and voice their sufferings

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2009 05:37 PM
Unicor777 is currently offline Click here to Send Unicor777 a Private Message Find more posts by Unicor777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

well, people in america can't really order around people in kenya to stop 'burning witches.' and, if everyone remembers, we had our own little problem with that in massachusetts. [anyone recall a little town called salem?] of course people weren't really witches, but witch trials were always rigged. the 'witch-finders' themselves were always eager to 'find' a witch, because the more they found and ended up killing, the more their fee was.

it was a cultural thing : witch-hunts were a mostly puritan thing - a culture where women were supposed to be strapped in and always proper and prim and never speak out against their kin.

so if someone found a women who was 'frolicking,' which could mean something so little as taking off a bonnet on a hot day, they were witches, and by association, their friends were questioned and most often turned up in trial as well.

we got through it. we also got through lynching. we can hope that kenya will have some stronger enforcement, but frankly, kenya has a lot of other problems to worry about. like... how they're going to feed and water everyone. so yes, it still happens, but there's not much someone on a forum can do about it.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 02:47 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Macabre
Grey King of the Debb

Witches weren't actually burnt in history, they were either pressed, drowned or hanged, mostly hanged. Though, I'm sure there were people who were smoked to death. Its a cruel way to die, that's for sure.

The only thing thats with you your whole life is complete and utter darkness.

Last edited by Darth Macabre on Sep 24th, 2009 at 04:59 PM

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 04:54 PM
Darth Macabre is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Macabre a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Macabre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

I don't remember this part in any of the books or films confused

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 05:20 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

quote: (post)
Originally posted by siriuswriter
well, people in america can't really order around people in kenya to stop 'burning witches.' and, if everyone remembers, we had our own little problem with that in massachusetts. [anyone recall a little town called salem?] of course people weren't really witches, but witch trials were always rigged. the 'witch-finders' themselves were always eager to 'find' a witch, because the more they found and ended up killing, the more their fee was.

No one expects 'the people of America ' to settle everything in the world. But in International Politics America plays a strong role. so the more people talk about, it would hopefully reach the ears of politicians everywhere,who can make a dieffference. The Salem thing was ages ago, this is happening now! Like today as we speak.

Originally posted by siriuswriter
we can hope that kenya will have some stronger enforcement, but frankly, kenya has a lot of other problems to worry about. like... how they're going to feed and water everyone. so yes, it still happens, but there's not much someone on a forum can do about it.

I don't think so. I have been to Kenya, and Kenya is one of the richest and well off countries in Africa, its a regional force in the east horn of Africa. You can not compare Kenya with its neighbors like Somalia for example where your comments about feeding and watering everyone would make a sense. Kenyans are educated, modern and advance, and this is the reason why it is so striking.

The pressure has to go on the authorities in Kenya, they are obliged to protect their own people and establish rule of law.

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 06:12 PM
siriuswriter

Originally posted by Darth Macabre
Witches weren't actually burnt in history, they were either pressed, drowned or hanged, mostly hanged. Though, I'm sure there were people who were smoked to death. Its a cruel way to die, that's for sure.

good point. the witch trials' tests were the things that the 'suspects' died of. if a test says that a witch will float will an innocent person will sink, and of course the woman wouldn't have been a witch, so she would sink, and drown.

unicor : i didn't say that nothing should be done, i'm saying, that bringing the topic up on a forum that's about harry potter, in the first place [a fictional book] but bringing up a political issue is rather pointless, especially because we can't do anything around here.

kenya has other, more pressing problems than this. they have a relatively poor education system, as well as trouble distributing water and food for all citizens.

it's horrible that witch hunts occur anywhere.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 03:14 AM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bazyli

Its horrible, old people require very care and attention which we can't provide them at home. For old age people Supported living homes are the best option for living with care and dignity.

Old Post May 8th, 2013 06:50 PM
Bazyli is currently offline Click here to Send Bazyli a Private Message Find more posts by Bazyli Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bazyli

Originally posted by Bazyli
Its horrible, old people require very care and attention which we can't provide them at home. For old age people Supported living homes are the best option for living with care and dignity.

Any Comments?

aged care homes queensland

Old Post May 9th, 2013 06:34 PM
Bazyli is currently offline Click here to Send Bazyli a Private Message Find more posts by Bazyli Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BellaMario

It's really a worst condition, according to me these old people have served their whole life working for our nation. They need our attention and care nothing else.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2013 01:57 PM
BellaMario is currently offline Click here to Send BellaMario a Private Message Find more posts by BellaMario Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zeeshanaayan07

Very brilliant post. great very nice

Old Post Aug 21st, 2013 06:17 PM
zeeshanaayan07 is currently offline Click here to Send zeeshanaayan07 a Private Message Find more posts by zeeshanaayan07 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marielovely

Superstitions are deeply rooted in our society, and the belief in witchcraft is one of the worst forms of this... sad

Old Post Jul 14th, 2014 02:14 AM
marielovely is currently offline Click here to Send marielovely a Private Message Find more posts by marielovely Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote