KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Federation GROUND force vs USA Ground force

Who wins (please give a reason other than "They're more advanced!!!!" or "USA rules!"
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Federation SLAUGHTERS 7 70.00%
Federation barely wins 1 10.00%
USA SLAUGHTERS 2 20.00%
USA barely wins 0 0%
Total: 10 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Federation GROUND force vs USA Ground force
Started by: Hewhoknowsall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

You make good points, but:

This is only a ground battle. No air support or space support is allowed. Starfleet doesn't use tanks because they could just use fighters, but now in this case we're talking about a pure ground battle.

What is the range of a phaser? Artillery can strike from many kilometers away.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2009 04:45 PM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall

This is only a ground battle. No air support or space support is allowed. Starfleet doesn't use tanks because they could just use fighters, but now in this case we're talking about a pure ground battle.

But artillery would just impact on the shields and do no damage.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2009 04:57 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
But artillery would just impact on the shields and do no damage.

Do ground Federation troops use shields? I don't think so.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2009 05:02 PM
Hewhoknowsall is currently offline Click here to Send Hewhoknowsall a Private Message Find more posts by Hewhoknowsall Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Do ground Federation troops use shields? I don't think so.

Yes, they do. There was a next generation show were there was a storm on a planet (some kind of planet wide plasma storm). The people from the Enterprise used shield generators to hold the storm back while they evacuated the planet, and then they used the shields to protect themselves when they could not hold back the storm any longer.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2009 05:11 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Yes, they do. There was a next generation show were there was a storm on a planet (some kind of planet wide plasma storm). The people from the Enterprise used shield generators to hold the storm back while they evacuated the planet, and then they used the shields to protect themselves when they could not hold back the storm any longer.

Please elaborate on the characteristics of that shield.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2009 07:49 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Please elaborate on the characteristics of that shield.

Why? Have you ever watched the show? If shields in Star Trek can deflect antimatter explosions, then they can stop conventional weapons (to the US army today), including nuclear weapons.

All they need is power, and they have more then enough of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shields_(Star_Trek)

Old Post Oct 16th, 2009 08:04 PM
NinthCorona

Why is this a thread?

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 09:16 AM
NinthCorona is currently offline Click here to Send NinthCorona a Private Message Find more posts by NinthCorona Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sorry I took me so long to respond, but:

Now I don't remember Federation GROUND forces regularly using shields.

Originally posted by NinthCorona
Why is this a thread?

What do you mean?

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2009 07:14 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

What do you mean?

I didn't know "regularly using" was a requirement. On Star Trek, they rarely show ground battles.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2009 07:34 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

i wish EU was canon. Star Trek EU has some scary shit when it comes to ground battles, even from starfleet. shit like hidden transporter pads that auto beam any poor soul who sets foot on them in to orbit and the like...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2009 08:47 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by -Pr-
i wish EU was canon. Star Trek EU has some scary shit when it comes to ground battles, even from starfleet. shit like hidden transporter pads that auto beam any poor soul who sets foot on them in to orbit and the like...

Wow, that's cold-blooded.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2009 10:32 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Wow, that's cold-blooded.

yup, but awesome at the same time.

they also had transporter scramblers. they wouldn't stop you beaming down, but as you materialised they'd scatter your molecules. i wonder if that's at all painful...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2009 10:34 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

The Federation stomps

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2009 11:13 PM
BruceSkywalker is online now! Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
The Federation stomps

Because...

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2009 11:46 PM
bloodoverme

US ground forces stomps!!! GO JOES!!!

USA all the way!!!!

happy? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 05:28 PM
bloodoverme is currently offline Click here to Send bloodoverme a Private Message Find more posts by bloodoverme Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hewhoknowsall
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by bloodoverme
US ground forces stomps!!! GO JOES!!!

USA all the way!!!!

happy? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm not saying that USA wins, although since you apparently don't have any counter to my argument and try and make it so that I am the wrong one by making me seem like a persistent US fanboy without actually countering any of my points, I shall assume that you are admitting defeat.

Old Post Nov 6th, 2009 09:22 PM
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Based on what I've seen in the show/movies, I don't see the Trek ground forces being able to just fight head on like soldiers. Except for that sweet ass dunebuggy, I don't remember any ground vehicles and they don't wear any armor. But I could see them being really effective if they used those cloaking suits and just walked in and wide beamed everything.

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 02:24 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

What do you mean?

they are readily available, though, and they work. an artillery shell isn't penetrating one of those shields.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Nov 7th, 2009 06:30 PM
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

Two names - Rangers and Green Beret. Special Forces could strike before they knew they were there. A TR-116 is a good sniper rifle, but a .50 caliber is devasting. Can kill a target up two miles and burn through tank armor. You keep forgeting the LAW anti-tank missile system and landmines. Mobile tube rocket launchers. Artillery can fire biological and chemical weapons. The Army (infantry) isn't just equipped with the good ole M-16: M4-A1 Carbine, M-14 with thermal sighting, M4-A1 Grenadier, M-16 Grenadier, SAW, HK-5 submachine gun, SCAR, Javelin anti-tank missile and i could list a whole lot more. A phaser rifle from ranges beyond 100 meters isn't very accurate.

War Doctor

Old Post Mar 25th, 2010 05:47 PM
Darth Truculent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Two names - Rangers and Green Beret. Special Forces could strike before they knew they were there. A TR-116 is a good sniper rifle, but a .50 caliber is devasting. Can kill a target up two miles and burn through tank armor. You keep forgeting the LAW anti-tank missile system and landmines. Mobile tube rocket launchers. Artillery can fire biological and chemical weapons. The Army (infantry) isn't just equipped with the good ole M-16: M4-A1 Carbine, M-14 with thermal sighting, M4-A1 Grenadier, M-16 Grenadier, SAW, HK-5 submachine gun, SCAR, Javelin anti-tank missile and i could list a whole lot more. A phaser rifle from ranges beyond 100 meters isn't very accurate.

Star Trek shields make all of those things you listed nil.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2010 06:27 PM