KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Star Trek » Federation GROUND force vs USA Ground force

Who wins (please give a reason other than "They're more advanced!!!!" or "USA rules!"
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Federation SLAUGHTERS 7 70.00%
Federation barely wins 1 10.00%
USA SLAUGHTERS 2 20.00%
USA barely wins 0 0%
Total: 10 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Federation GROUND force vs USA Ground force
Started by: Hewhoknowsall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

If holograms were used, wouldn't thermal imaging only see a solid wall and not actual people?

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2010 01:50 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent
Truth is written in Blood

No. Thermal sights read body heat and a hologram does not have a heat signature.

War Doctor

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2010 11:09 PM
Darth Truculent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

But some of them create solid walls. It would be reading the surface of the forcefield and not anything past it.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2010 04:11 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

holograms + no safety protocols = killing machines.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 26th, 2010 11:31 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
No. Thermal sights read body heat and a hologram does not have a heat signature.

Thermal sights read heat radiation from any objects that produce heat. Star Trek holograms can produce heat, even though real holograms do not.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2010 02:46 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent

I've looked through thermal sighting and believe me it distinguishes real targets and non-targets. They see through walls and snipers are trained to identify enemy combatants from non-combatants. Plus, an M-14 or a .50 with a supressor is absolutely lethal. Death from afar with zero sound - priceless.

War Doctor

Old Post Apr 27th, 2010 07:50 PM
Darth Truculent is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Truculent a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Truculent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I've looked through thermal sighting and believe me it distinguishes real targets and non-targets. They see through walls and snipers are trained to identify enemy combatants from non-combatants. Plus, an M-14 or a .50 with a supressor is absolutely lethal. Death from afar with zero sound - priceless.

When Star Trek is on TV, use your thermal sighting on the TV, and you will not be able to see anyone. The people on Star Trek are completely invisible to thermal sights. big grin

Old Post Apr 27th, 2010 10:24 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

star trek holograms look, act and move like real people. its not that easy to tell the difference.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 28th, 2010 01:30 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

I'm pretty sure thermal imaging doesn't see through walls. There was even that episode of mythbusters where the only thing that beat the thermal detector was a simple sheet of glass.

Old Post Apr 28th, 2010 02:14 AM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Plus, an M-14 or a .50 with a supressor is absolutely lethal. Death from afar with zero sound - priceless.
With tricorders, the Feds would know exactly where the shooters would be before they get into range. Again, you seem to be ignoring the technological gap that the US army must overcome here. And they must do it without any kind of computer support or communication, since Starfleet's gear can disrupt both.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Last edited by Acrosurge on Apr 29th, 2010 at 01:06 PM

Old Post Apr 29th, 2010 01:03 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent

A man/woman or alien walking around with a tricoder is an easy target. We have superior technological advantage in Afghanistan and the Taliban seem to be doing just fine. Who ever is holding the lightsaber is the target, then the commander of the unit. Or just send up a Predator drone.

War Doctor

Old Post Apr 29th, 2010 06:52 PM
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

The gap in technology between the US and the Taliban and the US and the Federation doesn't seem comparable. The US is going to be trying to spot people who are hidden behind holograms and force fields with no communications. That means the Predator drone won't work, with a very possible chance of someone from the Federation taking it over.

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 02:18 AM
Acrosurge
Lumine Infinitus

Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
The gap in technology between the US and the Taliban and the US and the Federation doesn't seem comparable. The US is going to be trying to spot people who are hidden behind holograms and force fields with no communications. That means the Predator drone won't work, with a very possible chance of someone from the Federation taking it over.
^This.

And with no communication or computer support (no satellites, no targeting, no guidance), the US would be limited to LOS firing or guesses. I don't know that the holograms and shields would even be necessary. 1 tricorder + 1 photon grenade = the pinpoint, total decimation of entire companies of US soldiers and tanks from miles away, regardless of terrain.

Still fighting,
Acrosurge

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 01:20 PM
Acrosurge is currently offline Click here to Send Acrosurge a Private Message Find more posts by Acrosurge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by Acrosurge
^This.

And with no communication or computer support (no satellites, no targeting, no guidance), the US would be limited to LOS firing or guesses. I don't know that the holograms and shields would even be necessary. 1 tricorder + 1 photon grenade = the pinpoint, total decimation of entire companies of US soldiers and tanks from miles away, regardless of terrain.

there just ins't anything the US Troops can do here

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 30th, 2010 09:30 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Truculent

The Federation is not trained to think like an independant unit. A sniper waits patiently for that one shot and when that shot is made - it is always a kill.
I have yet to read, watch or look up a battle where Federation troops fought for 18 hours straight like Mogadishu (Rangers & Delta Force). Maybe Flajuha or Tora Bora when the 82nd were pinned down and nearly overrun 3 times and survived and almost ran out of ammunition and the wounded still fought.

They simply do not have the training the Army has. God help them if they faced the Marines.

War Doctor

Old Post May 2nd, 2010 06:10 PM
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Eunno... you keep bringing the federation down to the current military's level. A sniper is pretty deadly when they can see their target and their position is always very clear to their enemy. Special Ops are pretty effective when they're not facing walls of energy or being evaporated by lasers.

Old Post May 3rd, 2010 01:51 AM