KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Count Dooku vs. Kyle Katarn

Count Dooku vs. Kyle Katarn
Started by: MasterAshenVor

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mattatom
UNSC's finest.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
Plus, it's just too damn fun to catch the Canadian on these things. (No whatshesaid stuff!)
That was a one time thing as it was too irresistable to resist.

Might as well call him "Matt Atom Bomb"
Like his name suggests, he's quite atomic
And this fool - he likes DC Comics
Two energy swords make up his symbol
And trust me, dawg, this homie's nimble

Old Post Nov 12th, 2009 06:22 PM
Click here to Send mattatom a Private Message Find more posts by mattatom Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
I'm going by what I know from Outcast--it's all I have on the guy. The scene where he dangles Tavion over a pit and then waves his hand to toss her back to the ledge. Circa 12 ABY. Add 28-29 years, he better have something else going for him. And there was a case that Advent made for him in one of her threads. It sounded so good.

Thats true. I would be pretty shocked if Obi-wan isn't FAR more powerful than Tavion though.

He had better. Makashi god's gonna be impressin' everyone from the NJO.

There was no one to teach Luke's Order the old styles, that's why they developed the Strong, Medium, and Fast styles. Makashi especially would have been foreign, even amongst the PT Jedi, there were few who practiced it. Being designed for strictly lightsaber-lightsaber combat, it would'nt have been very practical in the age where there were no more saber-wielding opponents.

I don't think this is correct. They rediscovered the original styles in a holocron Cin Drallig had made.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2009 07:11 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MasterAshenVor
Grey Jedi

exactly my point.

"I see more Grey than Light or Dark now days." - Jolee Bindo

"I will do what I must Obi-Wan." - Qui-Gon-Jinn

Old Post Nov 12th, 2009 09:01 PM
Click here to Send MasterAshenVor a Private Message Find more posts by MasterAshenVor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by Darth_Glentract
I don't think this is correct. They rediscovered the original styles in a holocron Cin Drallig had made.
The ancient Great Holocron, Drallig had an entry on the seven lightsaber forms. It was rediscovered in 40 ABY and left in Tionne Solusar's care at the Ossus Library. Nowhere near long enough for anyone to gain intricate knowledge of the styles.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2009 10:07 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Three and a half years is a pretty long time to learn new forms when they already understand lightsaber combat very well.

Old Post Nov 13th, 2009 03:39 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Three and a half years is a pretty long time to learn new forms when they already understand lightsaber combat very well.
One of those years was during the war, and the other two and a half are NOT enough. If it was then the NJO are children of the gods, cousins of Hercules--and nothing less. Not to mention we're now delving in to speculation.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2009 05:51 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
truejedi

Mark McGwire was stronger than ANH Vader. He could have learned how to fight with a lightsaber in just a few minutes, and then he would have overpowered Dooku.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2009 06:37 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

No shit, Mark McGwire put a dent in the Sun Crusher using a porcelain twig.

Old Post Nov 14th, 2009 06:57 AM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

One of those years was during the war, and the other two and a half are NOT enough. If it was then the NJO are children of the gods, cousins of Hercules--and nothing less. Not to mention we're now delving in to speculation.

Sorry for the delayed response. Unplanned trip out of town.

What are we speculating on? Cin Drallig stated that it would take the average Jedi about ten years to master form six. Yeah, its not the same form, but if a form that combines elements of all the others can be mastered in ten years, two and a half should be more than enough time to gain at least a basic understanding. Anyway, we are getting a little off topic I think.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2009 05:50 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Sorry for the delayed response. Unplanned trip out of town.

What are we speculating on? Cin Drallig stated that it would take the average Jedi about ten years to master form six. Yeah, its not the same form, but if a form that combines elements of all the others can be mastered in ten years, two and a half should be more than enough time to gain at least a basic understanding. Anyway, we are getting a little off topic I think.
We're speculating because we don't actually know who's been studying what out of the Holocron. I'd actually be pretty amazed if Kyle Katarn specifically studied Makashi AT ALL, nevermind for two and a half years.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2009 11:19 PM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Why would he not have studied it? Thats not the kind of thing the Orders battlemaster would just leave alone.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2009 11:34 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

True. But did he?

Old Post Nov 17th, 2009 01:10 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Darth_Glentract
Why would he not have studied it? Thats not the kind of thing the Orders battlemaster would just leave alone.

It's quite possible that formal knowledge of the seven forms died with Order 66. Battlemasters, btw, (according to the Wizards of the Coast entry in the Jedi Academy Miniatures) are the most skilled swordsmen in the Order. Drallig and Katarn are specifically mentioned, though Dooku was "the Temple's most agile instructor" (LoE).

Old Post Nov 17th, 2009 02:49 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Originally posted by Gideon
It's quite possible that formal knowledge of the seven forms died with Order 66. Battlemasters, btw, (according to the Wizards of the Coast entry in the Jedi Academy Miniatures) are the most skilled swordsmen in the Order. Drallig and Katarn are specifically mentioned, though Dooku was "the Temple's most agile instructor" (LoE).

We know that it did not. As stated a few posts above, they were rediscovered in 40 ABY. I also have a really hard time taking seriously any statement that states Drallig as more skilled than Yoda or Mace and Katarn as more skilled than Luke. The claim is void.

True. But did he?

I think its obvious he did, as, like I said, its not the kind of thing the battlemaster would just leave alone.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2009 06:55 PM
Darth Subjekt
The beginning of the end.

We know that it did not. As stated a few posts above, they were rediscovered in 40 ABY. I also have a really hard time taking seriously any statement that states Drallig as more skilled than Yoda or Mace and Katarn as more skilled than Luke. The claim is void.
Why? Technical skill doesn't equate to most proficient, or most capable. Vader was far more technically skilled than Luke, but Luke bested him. We've been over all that before when talking about Anoon, too. So it's not void just because you don't like it. Are you really going to say that Anakin was more technically skilled that Dooku???? And who got pwned there? Exactly... technical skill does not automatically earn you a victory.

Thanks to Advent for the Sig!

Old Post Nov 17th, 2009 08:34 PM
Click here to Send Darth Subjekt a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Subjekt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Darth_Glentract
We know that it did not. As stated a few posts above, they were rediscovered in 40 ABY.

Formal knowledge of the seven forms as regards the actual disciplines. Modern researchers are aware of the infamous Greek Fire; that doesn't mean we can replicate it. The fact that Skywalker's new Jedi Order is now aware that there were seven forms of lightsaber combat does not mean that any of them are Masters of them.

quote:
Darth_Glentract
I also have a really hard time taking seriously any statement that states Drallig as more skilled than Yoda or Mace and Katarn as more skilled than Luke. The claim is void.

Whoa.

I'm not sure if anyone's told you, Glentract, but it really doesn't matter what statements you like and which you don't; if they're canon, they apply. I realize cherrypicking was a common fixture amongst Janus and co., but I thought you would have outgrown that.

Anoon Bondara, who is the embodiment of a random ass Jedi, possesses skills with a blade that rival any of the eminent members of the Jedi High Council during the PT.

Technical skill, as Darth Subjekt just mentioned, is an area you're not considering, and it's an area in which the likes of Yoda, Windu, and even Luke Skywalker can be outstripped.

You have offered nothing as to why the statement should be void other than your personal opinion. And given your entire history with Marka Ragnos (I recall a fanfiction of yours where he solos most of his peers and rivals without breaking a sweat), your word alone isn't something any of us is going to consider.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2009 09:05 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

Originally posted by Darth Subjekt
Why? Technical skill doesn't equate to most proficient, or most capable. Vader was far more technically skilled than Luke, but Luke bested him. We've been over all that before when talking about Anoon, too. So it's not void just because you don't like it. Are you really going to say that Anakin was more technically skilled that Dooku???? And who got pwned there? Exactly... technical skill does not automatically earn you a victory.

Fair enough. I admit I didn't consider that when reading the 'skill.'

Originally posted by Gideon
Formal knowledge of the seven forms as regards the actual disciplines. Modern researchers are aware of the infamous Greek Fire; that doesn't mean we can replicate it. The fact that Skywalker's new Jedi Order is now aware that there were seven forms of lightsaber combat does not mean that any of them are Masters of them.

Whoa.

I'm not sure if anyone's told you, Glentract, but it really doesn't matter what statements you like and which you don't; if they're canon, they apply. I realize cherrypicking was a common fixture amongst Janus and co., but I thought you would have outgrown that.

Anoon Bondara, who is the embodiment of a random ass Jedi, possesses skills with a blade that rival any of the eminent members of the Jedi High Council during the PT.

Technical skill, as Darth Subjekt just mentioned, is an area you're not considering, and it's an area in which the likes of Yoda, Windu, and even Luke Skywalker can be outstripped.

You have offered nothing as to why the statement should be void other than your personal opinion. And given your entire history with Marka Ragnos (I recall a fanfiction of yours where he solos most of his peers and rivals without breaking a sweat), your word alone isn't something any of us is going to consider.

I'm not saying that they mastered them the forms. I am saying though that they had three and a half years so far to become familiar with them. It's more than enough time to understand the basics, even though, yes, it wouldn't yet be mastered. However, lets say you're right, then it only goes to support my argument that Dooku is superior to Katarn.

Seriously though, a work of fanfiction from several years ago is pretty dumb to go by. Weak sauce, Gideon.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2009 09:29 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

The whole point of that example was to show you that no one's opinion of a statement -- not even yours -- is relevant to a debate. The statement is canon, therefore, short of an obvious and irrevocable contradiction, it remains canon.

As for the rest, I don't disagree with you that Dooku is superior to Katarn. He surely is overall.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2009 09:36 PM
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

That's ridiculous. The whole reason this is fun is to interpret the stories and figure out who is more powerful through logic. If a statement is wack, given that Lucas has stated that there is no official "power scale," it should be ignored if there is reasonable argument against it.

Old Post Nov 18th, 2009 03:17 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

i agree but... that isn't how things seem to work here...

Old Post Nov 18th, 2009 04:10 AM
Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote