KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Sci-Fi / Fantasy » Star Wars vs Star Trek, Lord of the Rings and Battlestar Galactica

Star Wars vs Star Trek, Lord of the Rings and Battlestar Galactica
Started by: Hewhoknowsall

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (47): « First ... « 41 42 [43] 44 45 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
So it is a "teh Force pwn all!!111!!" angle. How lame.

Here. But I'm sure you'll "Teh Force" it too.
Hmm....Safe to say it must phase into normal space/time as it fires, yes?

BTW, if you are gonna throw in something that "Phases in and out of normal space/time," check this out:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Time_travel

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Last edited by Rogue Jedi on Sep 18th, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 12:29 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Hmm....Safe to say it must phase into normal space/time as it fires, yes?

BTW, if you are gonna throw in something that "Phases in and out of normal space/time," check this out:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Time_travel

Been sometime since I watched that episode, but no, believe it fired it's temporal weapon while being outside of space-time.

Skimmed through it, seems that time travel in SW is dangerous, while time travel in Star Trek is easy. There's even a Time-cop type of organization in the 26th century that monitors and keeps the time-line pure.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 12:57 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Been sometime since I watched that episode, but no, believe it fired it's temporal weapon while being outside of space-time.

Skimmed through it, seems that time travel in SW is dangerous, while time travel in Star Trek is easy. There's even a Time-cop type of organization in the 26th century that monitors and keeps the time-line pure.
And what is the range of the Kremin weapon? When it is shown being used, how far from it's target was it? Was it ever shown firing across a galaxy as large as the SW galaxy?

Just occured to me:

Originally posted by Hewhoknowsall
NO OMNIPOTENTS/NEAR OMNIPOTENTS

This is all of the universes in their entire history.

Who wins?
Out of all that we have been discussing, what qualifies as omnipotent?

Also, who is invading who? Is ST invading the SW galaxy?

Do they have knowledge of each other?

Do they have prep time?

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Last edited by Rogue Jedi on Sep 18th, 2010 at 01:07 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 01:04 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

No, it has to be within sight of its target, but the time-effect cascades across the universe. ie it erases someone or an entire population/species, anything that person/s did and all corresponding actions through time will changed/erased.

So given enough time, the Kremin ship erases all.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 01:51 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, it has to be within sight of its target, but the time-effect cascades across the universe. ie it erases someone or an entire population/species, anything that person/s did and all corresponding actions through time will changed/erased.

So given enough time, the Kremin ship erases all.

Coupla questions for you:

How large is the SW universe?

How large is the ST universe?

Which is faster? ST hyperspace or SW?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 01:56 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

How long does the average ST ship take to cross the galaxy?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 04:30 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
A LONG time. SW ships are much faster, no contest.

And here we go, simple solution to the Kremin warship:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Planetary_shield

And when someone brings up phasing torpedos, those torpedos are designed to penetrate shield of a SHIP, not a planetary shield.

""ComScan has detected an energy shield protecting the sixth planet of the Hoth system. The shield is strong enough to deflect any bombardment."

And IF a phasing torpedo gets through the shields, then either Starkiller TK's the missiles back on the ship that fired them, or again, this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dorsk_81

Fortunately, the students were not at the Great Temple, but rather at the Temple of the Blueleaf Cluster, which confused the Imperials into designating this as their primary target. Fighting against the first wave of TIE fighters, Dorsk 81 hurled giant rocks at the ships using the Force and caused them to crash. The other students did likewise, repelling the first wave of TIE fighters and bombers.[2]

Recognizing their vulnerability in the jungle, Kyp called a retreat to the main temple. There they fought off a ground assault force, Dorsk again using the Force to good effect and knocking an AT-ST into a jungle tree. In the short reprieve between assault waves, the Jedi gathered for a planning session in the War Room. Aware of the seventeen Imperial I-class Star Destroyers in orbit, Dorsk suggested using the Force to thrust them away, based on Yoda's axiom "Size matters not", used by Luke Skywalker as one of the most important teachings in his New Jedi Order.[2]

Arranging the Jedi on the outside points of the Grand Temple, Dorsk stood alone on the observation deck, atop a Force apex. All the Jedi channeled their power through him, and surrendering fully to the Force, Dorsk shoved the Star Destroyers end-over-end out of the star system in what possibly is the most powerful use of Force Push in recorded history. The enormous Force power flowing through him overpowered his body, burning through it and killing him. As Kyp raced up the temple to catch Dorsk, he uttered his final words: "They're gone, my friend".

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 04:55 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I liked that book.

I know the average hyperdrive propels a ship across the 100,000 lightyear SW galaxy in about a day. I don't think ST is that fast.

And if a planetary shield can deflect a bombardment from Death Squadron (half a dozen ISDS and the Executor), then... they'd combine for... f*ck it I'm not doing the math--many, many trillions of gigatons.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 05:03 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Any ship in Star Wars can cross half the galaxy in less than 24 hours.

And yeah, lol @ ST attacking Coruscant.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 05:19 AM
Freedom888
Restricted

Account Restricted

I liked that book.

I know the average hyperdrive propels a ship across the 100,000 lightyear SW galaxy in about a day. I don't think ST is that fast.

And if a planetary shield can deflect a bombardment from Death Squadron (half a dozen ISDS and the Executor), then... they'd combine for... f*ck it I'm not
doing the math--many, many trillions of gigatons.

Yep, and it would take hundreds of billions of photon torpedos to get past the
shields of a star destroyer, a single star destroyer has more power generation
than the entire Federation fleet combined, the Desth Star has the power
generation of millions of average stars, Centerpoint station can create black
holes and move star systems light years from across the galaxy...

Robtard will likely claim that he's ready debunked these, even though he simply
copied what Jaden101 argued, which was based off of logical fallacies and
incorrect science.

Robtard will also probably focus on accusing me for being a sock and use that as an excuse to change the subject and avoid having to counter the mathematical proof.

Star Wars weapons yields: gigatons to teratons
Star Trek weapons yields: kilotons to megatons

Star Wars power gneration: trillions to quadrillions of gigawatts
Star Trek power gneration: billions of gigawatts

Star Wars hyperdrive: 100 million and above C
Star Trek warp: 3000 C

Last edited by Freedom888 on Sep 18th, 2010 at 05:33 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 05:25 AM
Freedom888 is currently offline Click here to Send Freedom888 a Private Message Find more posts by Freedom888 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh my....

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dovin_basal

Guess where Dovin basals originate from? That solves the argument of the ST ships having superior shields.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 06:46 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Average is hard to say, as different species use different methods of transportation drives. Warp isn't that fast compared to hyperdrive.

The Borg use transwarp, which opens wormholes and they can travel extremely long distances in a short time.

Species 8472 can open up rifts from their dimension into 'ours'.

Edit: I should add, anything the Borg assimilate, they can then use. An assimilated Star Destroyer would allow the Borg to replicate a transwarp, as an example. This one one of their greatest strengths.

Last edited by Robtard on Sep 18th, 2010 at 07:47 AM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 07:33 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Freedom888
Yep, and it would take hundreds of billions of photon torpedos to get past the
shields of a star destroyer, a single star destroyer has more power generation
than the entire Federation fleet combined, the Desth Star has the power
generation of millions of average stars, Centerpoint station can create black
holes and move star systems light years from across the galaxy...

Robtard will likely claim that he's ready debunked these, even though he simply
copied what Jaden101 argued, which was based off of logical fallacies and
incorrect science.

Robtard will also probably focus on accusing me for being a sock and use that as an excuse to change the subject and avoid having to counter the mathematical proof.

Star Wars weapons yields: gigatons to teratons
Star Trek weapons yields: kilotons to megatons

Star Wars power gneration: trillions to quadrillions of gigawatts
Star Trek power gneration: billions of gigawatts

Star Wars hyperdrive: 100 million and above C
Star Trek warp: 3000 C

Welcome back, have to say I thought you'd at least take a week or two before you came back. Believe me, I'm truly touched your butt-hurt against me is that epic, but let it go, it's just a hypothetical debate. Okay?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 07:34 AM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Last edited by Impediment on Sep 18th, 2010 at 07:10 PM

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 07:59 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
Oh my....

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dovin_basal

Guess where Dovin basals originate from? That solves the argument of the ST ships having superior shields.

Can you quote the section in particular you're referring to?

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 07:59 AM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Spherical creatures of varying size, dovin basals were able to generate powerful gravitational fields that were used mainly as propulsion devices and shields. They were capable of creating micro-black holes that could absorb laser shots at spacecraft, as well as almost anything else, from proton torpedoes to concussion missiles. Groups of dovin basals were capable of generating inhibition fields which served as a type of force field to trap enemies in certain areas. These fields could also rip ships out of hyperspace.

Dovin basals could also dramatically drain deflector shields from nearby enemy craft. However, an effective countering to the shield draining technique came with traditional New Republic ingenuity. By expanding the sphere of the inertial compensator to thirteen meters, it would protect the shields like it would protect against any other stress on the craft. However, if enough dovin basals locked their gravity beams onto the shields, the inertial compensator would expend too much energy, tearing the craft to shreds.

And under history:

After the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War, all surviving dovin basals reverted to their pre-engineered forms on Zonama Sekot and melded with the planet's environment.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 08:03 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Pretty bad-ass. Organic tech in scifi always catches my eye.

Tyranids from Warhammer 40k are similar to the Vong.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 08:09 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Apparently the Imperium of Man and the Tyranid could whoop Star Wars' ass.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 08:11 AM
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Vong have alot of cool shit. Their living amphistaffs are ****in badass. And their armor.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Amphistaff

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 08:11 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I always like the premise of the Vong. But the novels they're in are so... tedious.

Old Post Sep 18th, 2010 08:14 AM