KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Sports Forum » G.o.a.t.

G.o.a.t.
Started by: AsbestosFlaygon

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
botankus
Bass-ackwards

Re: Re: G.o.a.t.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bicnarok
Football = Pele WRONG Tennis = Roger Federer WRONG bjorn Borg

I like your counter to this. It's hard to get a true comparison because of different equipment and different eras. All a player can do is play with what the time and trend dictates, and currently the trend is that net guys (for the most part) are getting slaughtered by baseline rallyers, which was not the case in Borg's era. Federer in his prime can hit every shot, and I truly think he could've dominated in Borg's day as well. But like I said, different equipment and different trends, so we'll never know.

Last edited by botankus on Dec 17th, 2009 at 02:10 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 02:07 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Re: Re: Re: G.o.a.t.

Originally posted by botankus
I like your counter to this. It's hard to get a true comparison because of different equipment and different eras. All a player can do is play with what the time and trend dictates, and currently the trend is that net guys (for the most part) are getting slaughtered by baseline rallyers, which was not the case in Borg's era. Federer in his prime can hit every shot, and I truly think he could've dominated in Borg's day as well. But like I said, different equipment and different trends, so we'll never know.

To be honest I havn´t got a clue about tennis, just wanted to show how silly this "best ever" business is by throwing a few names into the hat.

You can´t compare two athletes or anyone actually from different generations, if Bjorn Borg had had the technology and financial input from today maybe he would have thrashed Federer, but we will never know.

I do like Haile Gebrselassie though, being a runner myself I can appreciate his achievements and sportsmanship.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 07:43 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Re: G.o.a.t.

Basketball = Earl Manigault

Its too difficult for me to say a guy is the GOAT in a sport based on hearsay and 'could've beens." The guy has a great reputation as a baller, but it was up to him to prove it to everybody else on the big stage. He's obviously respected, but I don't see how anybody could say he was the greatest other than guys that actually competed against him and the other greatest players to compare.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2009 10:24 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Re: Re: G.o.a.t.

Originally posted by Myth
Its too difficult for me to say a guy is the GOAT in a sport based on hearsay and 'could've beens." The guy has a great reputation as a baller, but it was up to him to prove it to everybody else on the big stage. He's obviously respected, but I don't see how anybody could say he was the greatest other than guys that actually competed against him and the other greatest players to compare.

Earl Manigault is the greatest b-baller.
The only person who can do a Double Dunk, his signature move.

He turned down offers from NBA, stayed true to his roots in Street basketball.

He may be a drug-addicted hobo now, but give respect where it is due... the man was a legend. In his prime, he would smoke everyone on either side of the court.

Also,

Chess = Bobby Fischer

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Dec 18th, 2009 01:08 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

He may be a drug-addicted hobo now, but give respect where it is due... the man was a legend. In his prime, he would smoke everyone on either side of the court.

Manigault is dead.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2009 09:45 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Re: Re: Re: Re: G.o.a.t.

Originally posted by batdude123
Manigault is dead.

Legends never die.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2009 04:20 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

I can't agree because I've never witness him play. Have you?

Old Post Dec 19th, 2009 05:49 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G.o.a.t.

Legends never die.

K...

He may be a drug-addicted hobo now

Manigault is dead.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2009 07:18 PM
batdude123 is currently offline Click here to Send batdude123 a Private Message Find more posts by batdude123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Re: Re: Re: Re: G.o.a.t.

Manigault is dead.

Legends never die.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2009 06:25 AM
batdude123
Life Has No Meaning

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: G.o.a.t.

The bitch is dead.

I don't know why you'd prefer saying he's a drug addicted hobo anyway.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2009 10:11 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Basketball = Rik Smits
Football = Johan Cruijff
Golf = Some Dutch golfer
Boxing = Bep van Klaveren
Swimming = Pieter van den Hoogenband
Tennis = Richard Krajicek
Cycling = Joop Zoetemelk
F-1 racing = Jos Verstappen

In all seriousness though, Raymond van Barneveld is a better darts player than Phil Taylor.

Actually, darts isn't a sport, and if it is, it's a shit sport.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2009 02:46 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Also, I just actually read some posts and by no stretch of the imagination was Ian Thorpe better than Michael Phelps. You probably think Alain Bernard is good as well.

Old Post Dec 21st, 2009 02:50 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rogue Jedi
Restricted

Account Restricted

Rik Smits FTW

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I **** like you wanna ****, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2009 07:21 AM
Rogue Jedi is currently offline Click here to Send Rogue Jedi a Private Message Find more posts by Rogue Jedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
§P0oONY

G.O.A.T's are a bit stupid becae most of the time current sportsmen are superior to that of yesteryear becasue sports have developed.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2009 02:36 PM
§P0oONY is currently offline Click here to Send §P0oONY a Private Message Find more posts by §P0oONY Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote